Excubitor

I'm thinking a Level 2 librarian in TDA with the Shield Eternal.

1) A storm shield is always a good pick.

2) Warp Charge 2 means he can always power his blade

3) Shield Eternal gives Adamntine Will which combined with his hood, and dependant on mastery levels, means a potential 3-up Deny the Witch. Not bad if your prize Hammernators/Gun Termies are going to get Eldar'd to the warp and back again before they can get to wreck face.

Ignoring Tigurius, as I think he goes without saying, I see three viable librarian builds:

1 - Bone stock, dirt cheap, ML1. Cheapest way to get a reasonable HQ for your marines, and basically allows you to do whatever else you want with your army while acting as a force multiplier.

2 - Terminator armor, preferably with Storm Shield. Most survivable, especially if you were already taking terminators or a squad he could transport with, and especially if you want a librarian who can get close and live.

3 - Bike. T5 is always good. The bike gives him the mobility to get around and deliver his powers where needed. This will be a serious force multiplier for the white scars, in particular, as a second HQ.

However, given the lack of divination, I also think allies to acquire a DA librarian or Tigurius is a viable tactic from a purely competitive standpoint.

Problem with the first one is that you need to get lucky to make him a force multiplier, otherwise he's just someone with a bit of additional psychic protection and a more powerful shooting attack.

There's some great advice in this thread guys, thanks alot so far,. I've been in two minds to take a libbi still, took one once he did OK but I've never taken him again. May just have to take one now given the points costs now

I'm thinking a Level 2 librarian in TDA with the Shield Eternal.

1) A storm shield is always a good pick.

2) Warp Charge 2 means he can always power his blade

3) Shield Eternal gives Adamntine Will which combined with his hood, and dependant on mastery levels, means a potential 3-up Deny the Witch. Not bad if your prize Hammernators/Gun Termies are going to get Eldar'd to the warp and back again before they can get to wreck face.

Would the bonus from Ad.Will extend through the Hood?

Tigurius is great if you play ultramarines and want to spend that kind of points on an HQ/

As for regular libbies, I really can't see them being used outside of cheap allied detachments. Without divination, null zone, or old school psychic hood, he just doesn't cut it. 

What will I do with a Librarian? BURN IT LIKE THE WITCH IT IS!!

Aside from that I do plan on making a small Salamander team at some point with the fantasticly fun theme of light everything on fire so I plan on making him ML 2 and going all out pyromancy. That'll probably be his only upgrade since I just want him to be fun. If I made an army that was to include a librarian in a serious way I'd consider Telepathy just for some of the crazy things it can get. Biomancy is okay but it's better when you have several people rolling on it as far as I've seen. Just two rolls probably won't cut it. Now if you had a large enough list for 2 or more librarians you could probably roll one, if he doesn't get what you want to roll again with the next. If you get what you want you switch over to the other tables.

Giga, 165pts for Tigurius is really, really cheap, especially compared to supped up Captains/Masters and half of the other special characters in that Codex.

The way I understood it, you need to play an ultramarine force or have an ultramarine allied detachment if you want to take tiguirus, no?

Giga, 165pts for Tigurius is really, really cheap, especially compared to supped up Captains/Masters and half of the other special characters in that Codex.

The way I understood it, you need to play an ultramarine force or have an ultramarine allied detachment if you want to take tiguirus, no?

Indeed you do, but he's still cheap for their characters (Sicarius isn't worth his points, and Calgar is over 100pts more), and Ultramarines is a good set of Chapter Tactics. Maybe not as good as White Scars, Imperial Fists and potentially Salamanders, but access to Tigurius makes it up.

Lets put it this way, I'd only use Ultramarines tactics if I were using Tigurius. If I weren't using Tigurius I'd most likely choose White Scars for Hit and Run or Imperial Fists (lots of Tactical squads, lots of heavy weapons). The fact that I'm using Tigurius still, and choosing a set of tactics that aren't as good as the others (but still good) speaks volumes of his ability.

OK, what about pyromancy? Is it ever worth taking that school? Fire shield is nice, as is molten beam. All other powers work nice against hordes. The one buffing the Librarian is eceptional. Have you ever used them? Any thoughts?

I have used pyromancy once before with a GK libby (only psyker I have at all right now) and it was fun. Molten beam in particular can be a lot of good against vehicles and if you can get close enough it can knock out 2-3 vehicles with a little luck. The other powers are good against hordes and one of them can even blind people. Also spontaneous combustion can be fun since the only save they get is an invuln save and if they do they explode.

I think the answer to pyromancy is that it depends why you took your librarian (and/or if you are Salamanders and want it for thematic reasons). Most librarians as force multipliers are going to get better mileage out of other disciplines. However, librarians as beatsticks could do well with pyromancy. It's a question of "what is the original purpose of taking a librarian", and the answer to that is usually to increase the power of other units.

I recently used a normal level 2 Libby as I was trying to save points over Tigarius in a smaller game...

Never again. Tigarius is so good, that other Psykers don't even exist in my eyes anymore.

I have been running with a lvl2, with or without TDA. I am still all over Biomancy, normally manage to make him or his unit a tank! (Iron Arm + Endurance, I swear they are like the only powers i ever roll).

I struggle to put any relics on him, the 2W thing is a real problem for me, and I think just keep it cheap. 90pts for ML2 is sweet, and as he is normally a sternguard buddy he can either add to the fire power or buff/debuff as it is needed. I saw somewhere on here someone suggesting using the shield for Ad Will, I think that is too many points for a TAC build, I cant think of any situation I have known where that would have been worth it, even with all the additional effects, still a little tight on value. Sounds like a great trick your your meta though ;)

Plus, 65 points for access to a command squad, bargain! I'm never taking a captian again!

ZP

I struggle to put any relics on him, the 2W thing is a real problem for me, and I think just keep it cheap. 90pts for ML2 is sweet, and as he is normally a sternguard buddy he can either add to the fire power or buff/debuff as it is needed.

I think that's the best place for him, with some Sternguard. Drop in with some kind of witchfire to provide extra shooting and then stuff buffing & debuffing.

Archived