Ludovic's Imperial Fists - 05/11/13 mini update

Dosjetka

Aquilanus: Aye, I finally have chosen to stick with "my boys" msn-wink.gif What method will you be using then?

If I recall correctly:

Averland Sunset

Yriel Yellow

Lamneters Yellow

I forget what he was highlighting with though sad.png

It turns out to be a more subdued yellow, but it looks very good for a son of Dorn smile.png

When I get around to it, I'll give you a heads up happy.png

What's this? An update? Why, you are lucky people to be blessed with such regular viewings of my most holy work teehee.gif

Anyway, enough silly talk, onto the pictures!

gallery_45765_7614_196800.jpggallery_45765_7614_190702.jpg

gallery_45765_7614_86988.jpggallery_45765_7614_146604.jpg

As you can see, the yellow isn't so smooth in some places due to a couple of mess-ups late at night when I wasn't paying attention to the thickness of the paint. Nothing too major or noticeable when you're looking at the model on the gaming table, so I'm not too worried about it. I'll just make sure I'm a bit more careful next time smile.png

Now, onto the Veteran Sergeant:

gallery_45765_7614_257702.jpggallery_45765_7614_247711.jpg

gallery_45765_7614_18510.jpggallery_45765_7614_237106.jpg

I'm really quite glad with this chap as he's a conversion that (for once) went well and came together quite easily. I haven't thought of any fluff for him yet, but the sword that he's got at his side will definitely be something that he cherishes (some kind of Terran relic or something else along those lines?). If anyone has any C&C concerning him, I'd love to hear it.

And finally, another boltgun chap of which I only have one picture:

gallery_45765_7614_76971.jpg

Straight out of the box, no fancy conversions or anything, but I quite like him. If you look at him head-on, his arm pose is a bit strange but it's not too bad as to warrant a reconstruction of the model (at least not for now).

I hope that you chaps (and ladies?) like the update and hopefully I'll get some more done by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Ludo

Dorns_fist: Not for now, as I'm trying to get any army together as quickly as possible which means that I can't go as far as I'd like to go in this first phase. However, when all of my units are painted and ready to be played with, I'll go back and add battle-damage/grime to each model :)

Brother Pheidias: Thanks mate :) I remember seeing your Fists quite some time ago (must've been back in 2011) on Warseer and look forward to checking out what you've added to your force in the meantime!

Anaziel: Yeah, it does look better after a dozen layers of yellow over the wash :P Glad you like my Veteran Sergeant, the sword is from the WHFB Empire Greatswords kit, great little bit to add some character to officers and such.

Excellent work Ludovic!

As others have already said, you've managed to get an amazingly smooth and solid yellow. Congrats.

The Vet. Sergeant is also looking very promising. The Empire sword is a really nice little detail.

Looking forward to seeing what you get up to next :)

He looks awesome buddy. Gotta remember we're looking at a highly magnified version of a tiny model. I'm sure the yellow looks smooth as butter IRL. What do you have in mind for basing? 

A suggestion on the Sergeant, if I may. I would either raise the pointing arm or change it to a more extended one. Right now it looks a little awkward. Try pointing at something with you arm at a similar angle and height and see if it feels odd. Does for me.

Anyways, nice to see your work and I look forward to more!

kizzdougs: Thanks mate, I'm glad you like 'em :) As for what I'm doing next, my goal is to fully assemble and paint at least five Tactical Marines before getting distracted by other shiny things. Besides, my hobby budget is very tight these days, so I may have to wait a couple of months for my birthday to drop to get new kits ;)

MagicMan: Thanks chap, glad you like them both! The test model still isn't finished, but I think another hour of painting is needed to get him to a stage where I can leave him be for a while and move on to the other models :)

dss7: Thanks man, I'm happy that the purple eye lenses haven't gone completely unnoticed ;)

Darth: Cheers for the kind words mate :) Basing-wise, I'm still not sure. That's usually the last thing I worry about and I don't really have any basing materials right now except fine sand. I'll have a think about it though and see what I come up with. Concerning the Sergeant, the same thing was bothering me too (I also tried the pose and it felt weird), but it doesn't look too bad when you look at the model from a distance. If I can find an arm that does the trick, I'll replace it, otherwise he'll just stick with this one :)

Lovely. Hitting just the right shade of yellow is something of a trial in itself, much less painting it on well. The eyes look a bit dull, though. Still, Papa D would be proud.

Gotta get that iconography on there, too.

Now go make a few more hundred of them smile.png

Firepower: The eyes look a bit dull because they aren't finished and have only received a basecoat of purple and a wash of brown ;) Oh, and the same goes with the iconography, which will be added when the model is actually finished! But I'm glad that you like him as he is now and that I have managed to avoid the harsher comments :P

Silver Phoenix: Thanks for the kind words, they're appreciated :) And it's a shame that your attempt didn't work because it really is quite easy. You just need an even undercoat, thinned paints, a good brush for the job and buckets of patience :)

• 4 weeks later...

Looking amazing Ludo, yellow is great! Like the purple eyes, I'd maybe use a brighter purple (maybe even Tentacle Pink or whatever it's called now?) to really make them pop?

Edit: My brother did some Iyanden Eldar with purple eyes/gems in this way and it looks incredible!

What's the deal on squad load-out, Sgt with combi-f, melta gunner, and another combi-f? Are they for more than one squad, or will they be un-bling-ed Sternguard?

I sat down to paint in this mess earlier on today...

gallery_45765_7614_186878.jpg

...and I surprised myself by managing to finish the first member of the Tactical Squad. Bouyaaa! biggrin.png

I present to thee, Brother Eshan [2nd Tactical Squad, 5th Company]

med_gallery_45765_7614_287659.jpg

med_gallery_45765_7614_186870.jpg

med_gallery_45765_7614_334541.jpg

med_gallery_45765_7614_318832.jpg

The freehand symbols are a bit wonky, but they'll do. Oh, and he hasn't been based, but that'll happen later on. Also, he's technically not finished as I'd like to add highlights to the armour and try my hand at weathering, but for sake of having a playable army by the end of April next year and my own sanity, I'll add those little details after I finish off the first 1'000 points laugh.png

Marshal Sampson of Terra: Thanks! And yes, it's Argax Earthshade.

Strike Captain Lysimachus: Thanks mate, glad you like them smile.png The earlier pictures were WIP, so I have actually lightened the purple lenses a bit more, as you may be able to see in the pictures above. And thanks for the link to those Eldar, they're beautiful! The loadout for the squad is now going to be combi-flamer, flamer and missile launcher.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Anaziel: I assure you, there are some imperfections, but my camera was probably in a good mood and decided to hide the worst of it ;) But thank you for the praise, it is much appreciated!

Ace: Thanks :) And yes, it does take quite a few thin layers to get a good yellow, but it's worth the effort in the end, I think ^_^

Such a glorious display of first founding heraldry! Such a wondrous lustre of yellow! Such intriguing new plastics! Glory to the Seventh Legion!

<cough>

Sorry about that. I don't know what came over me. Yes, uh, great work brother, I look forward to seeing more of Dorn's finest. No doubt an army shot would look spectacular. ;)

Archived