Deviation

RazorDaemon

I was wondering how far accepted deviation from the normal scheme would be. I know Crusades sometimes are more apparent than just a Crusade Badge on the leg or knee. I was originally going to do a Black Templar Successor (fluff would be unconfirmed, at least sons of Dorn if not BT Successor) but I have seen some varied pictures of models that are still BTs with fairly altered schemes. Here is one of my units, still WIP and detail to be done but the main scheme is there.

gallery_69057_8877_173244.jpg

gallery_69057_8877_859154.jpg

That's not a bad scheme. It's certainly special. I think it'll look great on a full army.

Imo, BT don't have 'standard' unit markings, but they use the heraldry of Sigismund, Black and White, the reds and golds are all extras. Some Crusades might choose to add blue and silver, or whatever color, for various reasons, perhaps to honor their allies in that conflict (Like the warriors of the Declates Crusade, who painted their left hands Red to honor the Crimson Fists.) or perhaps those colors make up the personal heraldry of the Crusade's Marshal (or Castellan, or...., etc...)

I Definitely agree with Andhill. My interpretation of the BT organizational fluff would be each crusade gets to choose their own nuances on paint schemes, as long as the black/white of Sigismund is recognizable. I dont think its too much of a stretch that a crusade adapts some changes in their armour colors (like the red fists of the Declates crusade) and then, on a different crusade, they would be in the same squad from a different crusade with their own paint schemes.

Ok, scheme modified with pics, models are 90% finished, some still need finished insignia and various inscriptions here and there. Also not sure about eyes, currently they the beginnings of green, but still trying to decide if green or red would look better.

gallery_69057_8877_1626395.jpg

gallery_69057_8877_1242820.jpg

gallery_69057_8877_1479798.jpg

Love it.  I use the same style, but with merchite red + blood gore as the pop out elements.  I think it's nice that many go outside the standard scheme, or even changes it up between squads.  Helps you denote which squad is which, or prevent duplicate look alike armies on the tables.

75% of this hobby is building, modding, and painting.  Might as well make it your own as much as possible!

:)

That is an incredible scheme.  You should feel free to paint your models whatever color(s) you want.  The only rules I would follow would be:

1. Let your opponent know what your army is or counts as, be as clear as you can.
  2. Be consistent.

With that said feel free to paint your 'counts-as' Templars pink with purple trim if you'd like (you might catch flak here).  At the end of the day their your models don't let someone tell you how to paint/play them.

I was skeptical until I saw the face-cross and the dread. The additional white really makes it sing and still look fairly Templar.

edit: also, great use of the old school power axe on the dread!

With that said feel free to paint your 'counts-as' Templars pink with purple trim if you'd like (you might catch flak here). 

I was right there with you until you went "pink" on me. ;)

Agree with the others, follow your creative muse. I think the initiate with the cross on his face looks awesome. I would not have picked blue as a color, but I think you have definitely made it work.

Paint on!

I know blue is a bit different for BT, but I wanted it to be a little different to make them my own while still being Templars, and I like the color blue. My working fluff involves a Crusade with the Storm Wardens (hence the blue and the shields), and the Wardens in turn added a bit of black here and there, and some Templars crosses with the Warden's lightning bolt on it.

Edit:

I want to hate it, but can't. Well done.

~K

Want to hate it? huh.png Because of the blue?

Shouldn't be too hard to guess that I am much more puritanical in my color scheme preferences msn-wink.gif

But that's not really an issue in the long run, like others have pointed out already. Moving on from my initial urge to scream "HERETIC!" at the top of my lungs, the eyes would do better in red than green, to get some proper contrast from the blue.

They're solidly TT quality, but no basing?

Also, Artemid is right, the ax is a cool decoration smile.png

Firepower, on 22 Sept 2013 - 21:13, said:

Shouldn't be too hard to guess that I am much more puritanical in my color scheme preferences msn-wink.gif

But that's not really an issue in the long run, like others have pointed out already. Moving on from my initial urge to scream "HERETIC!" at the top of my lungs, the eyes would do better in red than green, to get some proper contrast from the blue.

They're solidly TT quality, but no basing?

Also, Artemid is right, the ax is a cool decoration smile.png

I will get around to basing, I'm just not sure what to do yet. I do have some more details to finish as well to make them nicer, not that they will be Golden Daemon worthy rolleyes.gif

A local store (now closed cry.gif censored.gif ) had a Bitz Box that people could bring old models or random bits they no longer wanted or needed so someone else may make use of them. They sold them pretty cheap, but it was still 100% profit for the store, I even scored a Land Raider for 15$ and it only needed a replacement side sponson.

From the glorious bitz box I found several old school things that I decided to mix into my army to add some more character. One of those is that axe, which was the actual axe used by the not yet named Sword Brethren who now resides in the Dread. The beaky with a face cross has an old school bolt pistol, and the guy with the mini-tabard loin cloth thing is an old school legs, torso, head with a chest jewel. The model to the right (his left) of the full-tabard guy was the sergeant from Battle for Macragge. I think the claws I added to the Dread were from a Chaos Dozer Blade.

Edit: speaking of TT quality, any pointers so far?

Want to hate it? :huh: Because of the blue?

Maybe I should have said that I normally don't like blue on Templar, but you make them look really good. I don't know why it works, but it does. :)

~K

Edit: messed up quotes

For the simplest pointer- drilled gun barrels.  Also a simple wash can add some good depth to those metal parts.  A wash could add some good depth to the white tabards and purity seals, but it'll be less cooperative.  A black wash can ruin a smooth coat of white quite easily.  Sepia will be much easier to deal with, but of course you won't be dealing in pure black and white tones any more of you go that way.

From there I would work on highlighting the black, but if you're going for quick and easy, that will kill your production speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Update with the Emperor's Champion:gallery_69057_8877_1512116.jpggallery_69057_8877_1673173.jpggallery_69057_8877_26920.jpg

Edit: Red looks a little pale in this pic, it is Red Gore with Evil Sun Scarlet over that, and I am trying to get a more realistic look by having the Scarlet be a highlight and adding a white glare dot in the top "corner" of the eyes and gems.

Very nice. I really like what you did on the left shoulder pad. Very slick looking.

Have you decided how you are going to base them yet?

That's what an EC needs to look like! Well done. I'm totally with Brother Honda on the left shoulder pad. Looks awesome. thumbsup.gif

Might I ask what them wing thingy's on his backpack are? I'd guess it's BA bitz, but I've no knowledge of their kits. ph34r.png

Archived