New Player, New Wolf

Bloodgrin

Have been aware of the game since the beginning, and always been on the outskirts but never dove in but went to a demo at my friend's shop and took part in a 600pt skirmish and now am hooked.

After spending days and nights reading and pouring over material, there was no other possible choice for me and here I am.

So if I may, I have a few questions ?

Here is what I am starting with which I picked up off of EBAY:

"The Space Wolf Codex (latest)

Logan Grimnar
Arjac Rockfist
6 Wolf Guard Terminators
(Heavy Flamer + chainfist, Assault Cannon + chainfist, 2 storm bolter + wolf claws, 2 thunder hammer + storm shields)
4 Long Fangs
(2 Rocket launchers, Lascannon, Multi-melta)
2 Rune Priests
21 Grey Hunters (some can be blood claws)
Drop Pod"

Various sprues from the battle force and terminator box

And he threw in three paint pots for me Fenresian Grey, Mephiston Red and Yriel Yellow

"

I also have the Dark Angel half of the Dark Vengeance boxed set which my gf and I split and I let her pick, but I do not think any of that actually helps.

What should be my first focus now.

I love the thought of Thunderwolf Cavalry, and have read some great things if equippped right.

But should I strengthen elsewhere?

My shop is going to do a few events coming up where it will be 600 pt skirmish with special rules:

1) no special/unique named characters are allowed

2) No allies

3) No flyers

4) No fortifications

5) The most amount of points spent on any selection must be troop selection.  If you want to spend 200 points on elites then you must spend at least 201 points on troops.

6) All armies have the same warlord trait: Immovable object

Where would I want to focus for that?

I will probably watch this week, because I still have alot of studying (and painting/assembling) to do.

Anyway, I have been enjoying reading through here and all of the work and effort everyone puts into everything.

The rules in your shop seems very fair, I like it, btw.

Yeah he wants to keep it laid back and fun so that it is accessable to those who may be interested in just starting and for people who want to try it out.

It can be intimidating.

He says that there will probably be larger scale once a month or so for those that are up for that too as the community comes out of the woodwork.

Those are great rules, I want to play that way.

At 600pts I expect your grey hunters will be the most valuable part of your force, you can get quite a few of them on the table and put out a decent amount of firepower due to their free second special weapon.

Welcome to the fang!

Those are some solid rules. For that ruleset I agree that grey hunters are your friend, and when buying models the same rule applies as grey hunters are not only our best troop choice, but they are one of the best in 40k. Though I'm sure you can convert some of those dark angels into grey hunters with some of those bits you scored.

I like the calvary they are fun and scary for your opponent.

This site has a bunch of smart people and good advice. They helped sort me out and I'm sure they will don the same for you.

Enjoy your new hobby!

Jbickb

To start out, you're going to probably want to bring the numbers up to 30 grey hunters. I'd reccomend picking up the Tactical squad box, actually for the meltagun, flamer, missile launcher, and combi-weapon, and use extra bits to add some wolf-ish flair to them. Also, drop pods. Every proper space Wolves army needs a trio of drop pods. The skirmish rules seem reasonable for a 600 point game, but I council against banning allies in high point games. It's getting better as more and more codexes get updated, but there are more than a few armies that, without allies, are completely and utterly sunk (the old Black Templar's codex is probably the worst example; Without allies, they couldn't be counted on to hold objectives. If someone pointed so much as a laspistol at the unit, it would be moving 2d6 inches forward or backward, no matter what).

Troops came in today, really amazing feeling.

Some terrible paint on some, how hard is it to remove paint on plastic?

Also am pretty sure I can do better than Thunder Hammers on the Terminators.

Need to get another box of those because I believe those make the best Lone Wolves right?

Seconding the recommendation to get the new tactical squad box, it's perfect for improving your grey hunters and it's filled with really useful components.

Removing paint from plastic is pretty easy, there are quite a few decent guides and tutorials scattered around the web. I'd link some, but they'd be UK-centric and thus involve domestic products here... I'm not sure what to recommend to use on the other side of the atlantic, but I'm sure there are people here who'll know. Poke around the web a little, and/or head over to the P&M forum and ask.

The recommended loadout for a lone wolf is Chainfist+ Storm shield. However, you need to do a little conversion to get it to work right, as the Chainfist and storm shield arms are both for the left arm. Your best bet is to take a chainsword from a Codex marines box (Because it only has the teeth on one side, like a chainfist blade would), cut off however much of the blade you feel is right, and attach it to a Right handed Lightning claw that you've cut the claw bits off of.

Also, I highly reccomend magnetizing wolf guard terminators, since whenever the next codex comes, it's going to shake things up.

The recommended loadout for a lone wolf is Chainfist+ Storm shield. However, you need to do a little conversion to get it to work right, as the Chainfist and storm shield arms are both for the left arm. Your best bet is to take a chainsword from a Codex marines box (Because it only has the teeth on one side, like a chainfist blade would), cut off however much of the blade you feel is right, and attach it to a Right handed Lightning claw that you've cut the claw bits off of.

Also, I highly reccomend magnetizing wolf guard terminators, since whenever the next codex comes, it's going to shake things up.

alternatively you could attach a sheild to the right arm instead. just carefully cut of the storm bolter and fashion a handle out of green stuff

Welcome!!

I wholly second the idea of magnetising your terminators (and using magnets for special weapons if low on models). Personally, i like to run my wolf guard in a 5 man squad, kitted out with combi-melta/plasma and a mix of power swords, power axes, and usually one chainfist. Its relatively cheap and can pack a real punch (usually have it in a drop pod for best effect).

At 600pts, grey hunters are going to be your best friend. Id run something like the following

10x Grey Hunters - 2x Plasma, Standard, Motw

10x Grey Hunters - 2x Melta, Standard, Motw

Put them both in drop pods or rhinos. These days drop pods seem preferred as rhinos are easier to take out with the new hull points rules in 6th edition. However if you get first turn you can still bomb rhinos 18inch up the board before they die ;)

If podding, it may be worth taking 8 guys, and fill those last 2 spaces with a wolf guard in TDA,

that'll probably take up around 400+pts, using some of the best troops in the game. You then have 200pts to spend elsewhere, missle launcher long fangs are a great choice here (i usually throw in 1-2 lascannons for extra armour punching). Taking a rune priest with divination as your HQ will seriosuly boost their shooting too.

I rarely run a list without my trusty lone wolf in TDA/CF/SS, but you may struggle fitting him in at 600pts.

Yeah, I definitely will be magnetizing my next batch of terminators but unfortunately this batch I picked up off of Ebay was already assembled and has some iffy weapon choices which I am stick with (I just can not think that Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield was the best choice for two of them).

But what's done is done.

Tomorrow is new tourney at the shop, first with my own army.

Rules are pretty similar except now it is 750 pt and :

1) no special/unique named HQ SLOT characters are allowed
2) No allies
3) All armies have the same warlord trait: Inspiring Presence

This means that A: flyers seem to be on the menu and B: I have the option if I felt the need I could use Arjac Rockfist since he is not in the HQ slot.

Seems like he may be alot of points though.

So pretty much will be fine tuning from my lot of

6 Wolf Guard Terminators

(Heavy Flamer + chainfist, Assault Cannon + chainfist, 2 storm bolter + wolf claws, 2 with storm shields that I have not decided on weapons..perhaps chainfist or chainfist on one and power fist? Storm Hammers just hit too slow I think, could make a combi plasma and pop a shield for a melee?

4 Long Fangs (and I can put together a leader if needed)

2 Rune Priests (have a third now, so was thinking of going with two runes and one wolf priest)  (I want one rune with the long fangs for prescience and I want another to have the option of Jaws for some of the nastier monstrous things that I know for a fact that will be tabling)

20 Grey Hunters

Drop Pod  (drop a pack of hunters into the mix early to stir things up or go with the guard?)

Have some math and fine tuning to do when I get home, but should I be in ok shape?

I am know one Tyranid with a tervigon, one chaos marines with the big dinosaur looking thing shooting across the damned board and heavy on the armor buffs. I believe one Eldar, and one vanilla Space Marine also. Others could be anything.

Tomorrow is new tourney at the shop, first with my own army.

Rules are pretty similar except now it is 750 pt and :

1) no special/unique named HQ SLOT characters are allowed

2) No allies

3) All armies have the same warlord trait: Inspiring Presence

This means that A: flyers seem to be on the menu and B: I have the option if I felt the need I could use Arjac Rockfist since he is not in the HQ slot.

Seems like he may be alot of points though.

So pretty much will be fine tuning from my lot of

6 Wolf Guard Terminators

(Heavy Flamer + chainfist, Assault Cannon + chainfist, 2 storm bolter + wolf claws, 2 with storm shields that I have not decided on weapons..perhaps chainfist or chainfist on one and power fist? Storm Hammers just hit too slow I think, could make a combi plasma and pop a shield for a melee?

4 Long Fangs (and I can put together a leader if needed)

2 Rune Priests (have a third now, so was thinking of going with two runes and one wolf priest)  (I want one rune with the long fangs for prescience and I want another to have the option of Jaws for some of the nastier monstrous things that I know for a fact that will be tabling)

20 Grey Hunters

Drop Pod  (drop a pack of hunters into the mix early to stir things up or go with the guard?)

Have some math and fine tuning to do when I get home, but should I be in ok shape?

I am know one Tyranid with a tervigon, one chaos marines with the big dinosaur looking thing shooting across the damned board and heavy on the armor buffs. I believe one Eldar, and one vanilla Space Marine also. Others could be anything.

you could keep the storm sheild guys cheap by just giving them power axes. the thunderhammers are the same iniative as power/chainfists so are not hitting any slower than they are.

the long fangs must have a pack leader, its not an option. he's the guy that gives you the splitfire rule.

multi melta will have to do until you can swap it out, to short ranged to have any real success 

1 runepreist in a 750 list is enough IMO. you'll ned points to put some bodies on the table

Ok, have my points spent and I can go one of two ways:

1 10x Grey Hunters, 1 with Plasma 

1 9x Grey Hunters 1 with Plasma    1 Rune Priest

4 long fangs    Missle, Missle, Lascannon, multimelta (melta not my choice, was on the damned model when I got it)
1 squad leader
1 Rune Priest

1 Drop Pod 

1 Lone Wolf in Term armor with Storm Shield with Wolf Claw (I could drop a plasma from a Grey Hunter squad  and have enough points to give it a chain fist)

Option 2 is to drop one Grey Hunter Squad and one Rune Priest and take 

5x Wolf Guard Terminators (1 with Heavy Flamer + chainfist, 1 with combi *melta/plasma/flamer- I have permission to proxy one I just do not know which is better for the assault cannon that I am holding + chain fist,  storm bolter + wolf claw, storm bolter + wolf claw, and storm shield + thunder hammer)

Any advice is appreciated.

This is my first fight with my Wolves, and my first on my own my others were pretty much demo type situations using someone else's troops.

Yeah, I definitely will be magnetizing my next batch of terminators but unfortunately this batch I picked up off of Ebay was already assembled and has some iffy weapon choices which I am stick with (I just can not think that Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield was the best choice for two of them).

But what's done is done.

Not necessarily. If you soak them in Super Clean (a purple engine degreaser from the automotive aisle of your nearest Walmart), it'll safely strip paint, and usually loosens superglue bonds, making it pretty easy to pop off weapons or arms without damaging the model.

V

You are fortunate that Grey Hunters are some of the best Troops out there. This may have already been said but you have a lot of powerful, expensive units and only a handful of Troops.

I think my biggest mistake was running the second rune priest, instead of using those points to upgrade some of the GH.

I really need to learn the strategy more, and work at it.

Thinking of picking up a TWC box and another box of Grey Hunters this weekend.

Next event is going up to 1000 with anything goes this time, was hoping to get another game or two in at the lower points to learn strategy but I will get there.

Hi BLoodgrin. Trust me the first few games can be a nightmare!!! so many things to remember. I myself am fairly new only been in the pack a few months. However after few games remembering to utilize the small things like mark of the wolf, and wolf standard really make a  big difference. You mentioned pickingg up some twc, i got to say from my own experience, i would hold back with TWC until you get to grips with the rest of your army and how it works.

Archived