Devastators or Tactical Squads?

DiscipleOfCaliban

So I want to take a few heavy weapons in my list, namely missile launchers and maybe a plasma cannon, but wasn't sure of how to take them. There were 2 options I wanted to choose from:

Devastators, so I could put all of the weapons in one squad and save points.

Tactical Squads, so I could spread the weapons out for better coverage and hold objectives better.

The idea of this is to compliment a RW list with some long range heavy support. My RW struggles a bit with low model count and holding objective which is why I was leaning towards tactical squads but the extra points do cause me to drop from 4 RW Squads (6 bikes, MM AB) to 3. Also, my friend seems to think that the devastators would be better for their intended purpose because they can focus fire on a single target more easily.

So there are clearly pros and cons to each. Which do you prefer?

For reference the 2 configurations I was going for were either 1 squad of 10 devastators with 3 missile launchers (maybe a plasma cannon), or 3 squads of 10 tactical marines, each with a missile launcher (maybe swap one for a plasma cannon).

I'd say going for Tacticals with plasma cannon supported with 5 man missile devastators from behind might be best as 10 dev squad has problem: Multiple different maximum ranges makes unit having synergy problems with itself and extra bodies costly addition as they cannot score. Why not go for 5 man Dev's with 4 missile and take  2x tactical squads with plasma's? Thus you get range, flexibility and scoring bodies to support your bikes.

Key is placing models. Getting Aegis gives you bit fail safe's and if you know your devastators are going to be #1 priory for you enemy, you can use it for your own advantage when placing models.

Archived