multiple interceptor

angry man

take a unit that has more than one model with the 'interceptor' USR, such as a unit of upgraded broadside battle suits. 

each suit has seeker missiles and the multiple missile array thing (looks like nipple fists), so there are 6 weapons, all with interceptor.

the wording for interceptor USR, clearly allows for the 3 suits with 6 weapons to shoot at up to 6 different targets, but at what point does the user need to declare what weapon is targetting what?

AM

Multiple Missile Pods?

All of a models shooting attacks happen simulatneously and thus all targets must be declared before you make any rolls.

And Im not sure about this 'clearly allowing' nonsense. All it says is youre allowed to fire at one of the models that came in from reserve, it doesnt say you can in any way change the normal targetting restrictions.

i remember now, high yield missiles...

it says that each weapon with the USR can target a unit that arrived from reserve. it doesnt say "make a shooting attack" or in any way refer to following the usual targetting restrictions. im not trying to bend a rule for myself here, unfortunately i was on the receiving end during a game last night. it didnt seem unreasonable having read the USR, but my opponent was considering shooting one weapon at a time until he destroyed a drop pod (for first blood), before spreading the rest of his shots around my other reserves.i had no issue with the targetting of multiple units, but insisted that the declarations all be made at the start 

AM

"a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from reserve within its range and line of sight." Interceptor - BRB page 38

fired = shot = a shooting attack.

reference - The Shooting Phase (as this describes how you resolve a shooting attack, so you have to refer to it in order to resolve the weapon firing)

"All models in the unit must shoot at the same target unit." which models can fire - BRB page 13

Now if those Broadsides have Interceptor, they can't have target locks (only allowed 1 support system) so would have to all shoot at the same target, with any/all of their weapons that are eligible to fire according to the rules for shooting (in their case, 2 per model - as they have multi-trackers built-in).

"a weapon with the Interceptor special rule can be fired at any one unit that has arrived from reserve within its range and line of sight." Interceptor - BRB page 38

reference - The Shooting Phase (as this describes how you resolve a shooting attack, so you have to refer to it in order to resolve the weapon firing)

"All models in the unit must shoot at the same target unit." which models can fire - BRB page 13

Now if those Broadsides have Interceptor, they can't have target locks (only allowed 1 support system) so would have to all shoot at the same target, with any/all of their weapons that are eligible to fire according to the rules for shooting (in their case, 2 per model - as they have multi-trackers built-in).

Also, multi-trackers allow models to fire an additional weapon in each Shooting phase (emphasis mine). Interceptor fire occurs in the opponents movement phase and therefore they only get to fire one weapon each.

Fair point.

(Though I'm loath to say that when anyone uses the term "emphasis mine", as it represents the most god-awful grammar and really makes my skin crawl)

Also, multi-trackers allow models to fire an additional weapon in each Shooting phase (emphasis mine). Interceptor fire occurs in the opponents movement phase and therefore they only get to fire one weapon each.

I think that could be considered overridden by the interceptors rule of 'you can fire this gun'. That seems pretty reasonable.

Does anybody think it's significant that the Interceptor rule requires the weapon's target to be "within range and line of sight."? Line of sight and range are two of the three sections under 'Choose a target' (page 12). The third, "Which models can fire?" and not referenced by Interceptor, is the one that requires all models in a unit to choose the same target.

Does anybody think it's significant that the Interceptor rule requires the weapon's target to be "within range and line of sight."? Line of sight and range are two of the three sections under 'Choose a target' (page 12). The third, "Which models can fire?" and not referenced by Interceptor, is the one that requires all models in a unit to choose the same target.

It might matter, but the most important thing is if this was the case he would have to fire everything at once, so he couldn't do them one at a time as units fire as a whole. Even if they can all fire at different targets he'd have to pick and then fire.

I think that could be considered overridden by the interceptors rule of 'you can fire this gun'. That seems pretty reasonable.

Interesting point. Not sure either way really but I suspect the wording of multi-trackers might be a deliberate choice to limit their usefulness and restrict the extra weapon to normal shooting only. Who knows!

It might matter, but the most important thing is if this was the case he would have to fire everything at once, so he couldn't do them one at a time as units fire as a whole. Even if they can all fire at different targets he'd have to pick and then fire.

I'm not so sure that the entire unit would have to pick the same target. The rule only talks about a weapon that may be fired. It uses very different language to the normal shooting attack.

As much as I don't want it too I'm really thinking that each weapon that has Interceptor can fire at which ever target they want regardless of what the other members of the unit have done. The unit just isn't mentioned in the rule.

Archived