Callius' chapter log (Updated 26/02)

Good day to any and all!

I have been working on my own chapter, the Sanguine Templars for a while now and due to my own nitpicky-ness its quite slow going. After the support and tips I got on my ETL titan log I wanted to start up this thread for my chapter. I have posted some of the first pictures from these guys way back when I created the chapter but now I wanted to keep all my chapter related updates under one roof, so to speak.

The three main points of this chapter is first of all I wanted a latin/ gothic feel to go with the templar-ness, therefore the latin-esque names and motto.
Secondly I wanted the Black Templars iconography since its' super bad-ass with that whole space knight/ medieval feeling.
And last but not least I also collect Tau emprie so I wanted this chapter to clash with the Tau, hence the placing of their home system and the Templars zealous background.

So the background for these guys:

Primarch:
Rogal Dorn of the Imperial Fists

Founding:
The 23rd founding, 37th Millenium

Founding chapter:
Black Templars

Chapter master:
Julius Cerativa, High lord of Prasentia, known as the Eagle of the east

Home world:
Prasentia in the Sential realm (Eastern Finge)

Noteable worlds in the Sential realm:
Prasentia: Capital world, chapter planet of the Sanguine Templars
Flucci: Agri world, staging ground for the first company during peacetime
Veratim: Jungle World, training ground for the scout company in jungle warfare
Nex: Desert world with two suns and no night cycle (Anchor point for the Sanguine Templars fleet)
Lesus: Agri world, high humidity and highly productive world

Battle Cry:
For the Emperor, our father and protector!

Motto:
In mortis est gloriam - Glory in death in high gothic

Colours:
Main: Dark red
Secondary: White
Accent/ trim: Gold

Iconography:
Same as the Black Templars

Here is a star chart of the eastern fringe that shows the Sanguine Templars home system:
gallery_58716_5536_90064.jpg

Marine colour scheme/ armour markings. (I couldn't figure out how to do a templar cross that didn't look funky so hence a blank shoulder pad):
gallery_58716_5536_105768.jpg

As soon as I have taken some decent pictures of the guys already painted I will throw them up here.
This thread is updated at any point as long as I got some work done thats worthy of being here, so I can't guarentee a new update every week or so.
Given I work in the military I use alot of my time on excercises across the country and as such it's usually only the weekends I have to do all the stuff I would normally do across a week but I hope for the best with this thread and I'm looking forward to hearing everyones opinions smile.png

So long brothers!

Edit: Topic Title

So I have finally gotten some decent pictures of my tactical squad. These guys were finished some time back but where improved many times since then, after I see a new technique or a place i can improve upon my eye just won't rest easy till' it's been sorted. So for now they are finished, and I hope you like them:

gallery_58716_8576_86484.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_2429.jpg

And one with a bit more light:

gallery_58716_8576_39558.jpg

I know my plasma weapons look a bit dull, but in my opinion the blue glow everybody is using is too cartoonish. As I want my guys to look like they are in battle, things have to make a bit of sense (I know its the year 40.000 but still). Hence the metallic colour of the plasma weapons as I only imagine them lighting up when fired and not the entire time, imaginge if you where trying to be sneaky with a bright blue flashlight in your hands...

And thats it for now, I am currently finishing the remake of my Dreadnought and Whirlwind so they will proberably be up in the next days.

Hello again brothers!

I've just finished my Venereable Dreadnought last night and he's here in all his entombed, venerable glory.

I'm really happy with the result as I went from a lascannon to assault cannon and changed the whole sarcophogas just because he was just not right before, but now I think he looks as bad-ass as he needs to.

So here is the new and improved Venereable Dreadnought - Ancient brother Fennion:

gallery_58716_8576_94200.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_77396.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_32483.jpg

Hope you like it!

On to the next model!

I have finished my Whirlwind and I gotta say: I love itbiggrin.png

It came out just the way I had envisioned it in my head with the weathering and the chipping.

I am very pleased with how well the clolour scheme transitions to vehicles, as it looks great alongside my marines and dread, theres no doubt they are from the same chapter.

This was the first time I tried my luck with painting lenses so they don't look like a solid slab of paint, and I am quite amazed as to how simpe it is and what a difference it makes but you be the judge of that.

Here is the Whirlwind Mors ab Alto (death from above) in latin-esque:

gallery_58716_8576_60585.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_43649.jpg

Since it's friday I'm going to get cracking on my newly purchased Stormtalon and see if I can't get that thing done by sunday, so TGIF and a happy weekend to allsmile.png

Hello again!

As promised I finished my Stormtalon gunship just minutes ago.

It surprised me how nice a kit this is to build and paint, it's really sweet with the many different weapons options and posing possibilities.

At first I thought the Stormtalon looked boxy and silly but as time went on I really started to like this resillient little thing smile.png

I have just made the purchase of my next project, which is going to be a Captain for the 2nd. company, his command squad and their ride and the list is as follows:

From GW:

Razorback, standard captain, command squad, emperors champion and a Black Templars upgrade kit.

From FW:

Razorback Heavy-bolter turret, Black Temlpars Rhino front and doors, Apothecary set, Mk IV Command set and a 5 Mk IV marines.

That little project is going to be awesome!

But at last the model this post was intended to be about, the Stormtalon gunship Gladius Imperator:

gallery_58716_8576_68517.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_6226.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_35096.jpg

And that was that for now, just can't wait for my packages to arrive so I can set upon a little bossy-ness for my small army...

EDIT: Almost forgot about the Emperors champion...

Here we go again:

I have finished my captain and retinue's command Razorback and I have made a few upgrades to make it stand out as a command vehicle.

The side doors and front has been replaced with Black Templars ones, and the Heavy Bolter has been replaced with a better looking one from FW.

I always thought the standard weapon mounts on the Razorback looked clunky and just not right, but the ones from FW are a much better alternative in my mind.

Hope you like it:
gallery_58716_8576_69975.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_79069.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody!

There has been a long down time on my project log due to real life things taking up a lot of my time, but now im ready to start up again in this merry time smile.png

I have finished my Captain and his command squad and I'm pleased with the results. I have tried to keep them mostly in mk IV armour except for some of the arms. My company champion is the standard Emperors champion since I love the model and my chapter is a sucsessor of the Black Templars after all, I have kept him as he is but I have added a modified storm shield from the Terminator box since a company champion is supposed to have a combat shield and I think the result turned out great.

The banner is a Templar crusade banner from the Nimbosa crusade. I know it's ''stealing'' but I have zero imagination when it comes to making a banner that looks cool and since my fluff have the chapter which again are BT sucsessors, fight Tau on a marsh world in the eastern fringe I thought it would be okay. Im not skilled in the fine arts of freehand painting so bear with me on the banner please.

On the subjct of cloaks I had a little debate with myself, on one hand I love the idea of immaculate robes with patterns and decorations and on the other I have a strong opinion that my chapter should be as realistic as can be in the 41st millenium. Since space marines are very uptight about honour, ceremony and the likes I thought that they would have a cloak for ceremonial purposes that is covered with honours, decorations and the likes, and when it's time for war they wouldn't wear such esteemed relics but a more plain and practical cloak to show their honours or status. Hence they wear simple bone/ sand coloured cloaks which I think suits the dark red very nice.

My Captain and the Champion of Lesus :

gallery_58716_8576_70548.jpg

Veterans of the 2nd. company:

gallery_58716_8576_181249.jpg

Apothecary and standard bearer:

gallery_58716_8576_70345.jpg

The banner close up:

gallery_58716_8576_168098.jpg

And finally all together:

gallery_58716_8576_68668.jpg

Please let your voice be heard and let me know what you think.

P.S. on a side note I have a little preview of my current project, I think most of you know what this is:

gallery_58716_8576_81498.jpg

Thanks for the feedback brothers!

@ Packe: I know what you mean with the shading but I already use washes on them. Nuln oil for the silver/ metal and Agrax earthshade for the armour and gold but maybe the pics don't show it all that good wink.png

@ War Angel: I maybe wrong but i thought that the center column in the drop pod was the guidance system but I can upload a photo from the top where the screen is more visible if that is what you ment?

And the Sanguine Templars are indeed a sucsessor chapter from the Black Templars. There are only two other: the White Templars and the Red Templars and they are rumored at best due to the secretive nature of the Black Templars, so no there are no clear sucsessors but that is one of the benefits with home-made chapters, you get to decide all the fluff yourself thumbsup.gif

Thanks deathspectersgt7, glad I'm not the only one liking them msn-wink.gif

For the tau head on the banner I kept it really simple as I am lacking the frehand skills to make it awesome...

I started with a simple white basecoat and then I build up the layers with Temple Guard Blue layer paint, nothing more, nothing less smile.png

Get Ready for a pic-heavy post brothers!

So I have, after a few late nights finished my Drop Pod and found some pics of my Chaplain that I forgot to post here.

I am really undecided about the drop pod as a model because on one hand it's awesome to drop from orbit right to the thick of battle and on the other hand I found the model quite difficult to build as there are many small things to take into account like too many layers of paint and the doors wont close proberably. But I like the fact that you can litteraly throw tons of weathering on it as it's supossed to drop through the atmosphere of various planets.

So now lets get to it:

gallery_58716_8576_195997.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_194709.jpg

My Chaplain is one of the things I'm most proud of in my army. I bought the metal Lemartes of the Blood Angels before GW messed him up with finecast as I hate the stuff. In my opninion Lemartes is the meanest looking chaplain out there but he had tons of BA iconography so I had to dig out my files and dremel tool.

All in all he came out great as i see it:

gallery_58716_8576_51220.jpg

gallery_58716_8576_68474.jpg

At the moment I am getting my ''old'' Vanguard veterans ready for undercoating and I have come to the decision that these will be the last finecast models I will buy as I have had a lot of issues with BIG air bubbles, deformation and gaping cracks. These guys had to get a good dunk in hot water 4 times untill I was satisfied with the straightness of them.

gallery_58716_8576_197410.jpg

On a closing note I have a question for you: What colour do you think I should paint their helmets?

It's down to white or gold, as the command squad all have white helmets and I like that look, but I thought that gold would be better since these guys are from the first company and should stand out from the 2nd company vets, and I was inspired by Vadskærs Blood Angels assault captain. So what do you think?

Like the chaplain brother.

While between the two option of white and gold I'd vote for gold helmets, I think you're running the risk of having them look too much like blood angels veterans in doing so.  

May I present a third option?  Black helmet with a white stripe like veteran helmets presented in the new Imperial FIsts "Sentinels of Terra" supplement?  It would be a tie in with the chapters IF heritage, and would potentially look really sharp.

Thanks Chaplain

I think it could be cool with a reference to the chapters ''ancestors'' but I'm afraid it will be too dark and not stand out like the two other colours would. But as soon as the weather here gets clearer I will get them undercoated and try the three colours and see the difference so maybe you're idea will be best, only time (and weather) will tell...

By the way I think I know why you want me to put black in my chapter colours... Maybe it's because Chaplains have a freaky thing with the colour (points at The_Chaplain's profile name and picture) wink.png

• 2 months later...

I have now finished my test miniature for my Vanguards and I ended up going for the traditional white helmets after painting three helmets in white, gold and black and using those as a reference. It took alot longer to fisish this guy as my start of the year was filled with exercises all over the country but he was finished a little week ago.

gallery_58716_8576_14786.jpg

I have also decided to close this thread and start a new one in the Hall of Honour section. Seeing as I post my models as they are finished I found it stupid to have the thread in the WIP section, why I dindn't think about that when I started is anyones guess...

Anyway if any of you would like to check out the new thread its right here.

Thanks for now and signing out

-C

Archived