[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

Terror Squads getting precision shot and strike is excellent, people really underrate just how good they are in combat, not just with those lovely volkites and Sevatar is still the monster he's supposed to be - only Sigismund does the business 1v1 (short of Primarchs obviously)

New RoW is meh, Raptors can be good when used well but not for a full army. Maybe if Onslaught wasn't D3 based they'd have more bang for their buck but given how they get whittled away, even with Konrad on the board providing the Night Fighting buff, doesn't seem worth it imo.

^I dunno man, given the Talent for Murder bonus, it makes their WS5 really attractive.

I'll defs agree on the Terror Squads though. They're strong and they feel amazingly fluffy. +1 to hit/wound, preferred enemy, precision strike/shot, and ini bonus in the dark. It really  does an amazing job of illustrating how bad of an idea it is to fight Night Lords on their terms. 

And that is exactly why I love FW. I feel a little bad for doubting for a bit. 

I might find use for that RoW of raptors, if I can have an army of chainglaive wielding maniacs hitting/wounding on 2+. Even though I might not ever use a kharybdiss, might still be amusing.

I'm still disappointed by Curze slightly. He really needs some of those benefits to affect him. Put him with a unit and let his I8, WS8 +1 to hit, and Shred +1 to wound, as well as fixing his stupid limitation on Hit and Run that everyone forgets/ignores anyway.

What limitation?

One of the new generic rites of war actually seems really good to me for Night Lords. The rite that removes support squad rule from recon squads gives shrouded to any unit that uses infiltrate or scout- so +3 cover save for terror squads turn one anyone? O yes please. Yes it means terror squads are not troops, I certainly don't think that rite of war can replace terror assault, but it's certainly an interesting alternative. 

Most recent publication usually takes precedent..so if they've omitted shots that means it's gone

True but FW has been pretty lazy and error proned by just copypasting the old rules in for the reprints. Just look at the new Justaerin entry for an example (Able to add 7 additional bodies for a total of 12; clearly not intentional since they came stock with three and are updated to have five base).

Most recent publication usually takes precedent..so if they've omitted shots that means it's gone

True but FW has been pretty lazy and error proned by just copypasting the old rules in for the reprints. Just look at the new Justaerin entry for an example (Able to add 7 additional bodies for a total of 12; clearly not intentional since they came stock with three and are updated to have five base).

Actually I believe it was letsyoudown who talked to one of the lead designers and they said it was 100% intentional to allow that. Forgot the reasoning though.

Suck it world eaters we get an entire army that can potentially have 2+ to hit. Not so special anymore Khârn!

With the new assualt squad formation what about that combined with an allied death guard recon detachment. Give out precision deepstrikijg to everyone. Or you can do it with the new raptor row or even terror assualt.

Edited by Flint13
don't misspell Khârn.

Given that Eidolons entry still lists cumbersome instead of unwieldy when it's clearly stated in the FAQ to be the latter says it all. Until otherwise confirmed Terror Squads have both precision shot and strike Edited by Balthamal

I don't know why people are writing him off? Granted he's niche but if utilised properly would be incredibly effective

I would have to look at his rules again but what does he bring to table in terms of buffs? I've always proffered my hqs to buff my men rather than be a destroyer of all things.

I'm so confused considering all of the options we now have. I think it will all rely on what the generic legion list gives us.

Also anyone know if sev gets the new master of the ambush?

6 attacks on the charge with a power axe is nothing to shirk that's for sure. The goal eternal is to get him into combat and make sure he stays there backed up to the nines.

Which also means people will avoid him because if they know he needs to be there to be good, it can be silly cat and mouse as long as it's played right.

Definitely going to run him a few times

Granted he's nowhere near on par with Sevatar's killiness or utility (gotta love Teleporting Atramentar) but he isn't a write off. He'll take a bit of thought and some good combinations but the result would be greater than the sum of his parts

I don't know why people are writing him off? Granted he's niche but if utilised properly would be incredibly effective

I tend to look on things in, maybe 6 broad categories. Best in Slot, Budget, Okay, Niche and worthless, maybe Deluxe. There are no outright 'X is Best', despite the names, but usually, Best in slot is the one to which you should look at for doing well. This is a balance of points, ability and opportunity cost, and a rationale can go one way or the other.

Despite having a storm shield, he is a defensive character in a legion where he is the warlord, and if killed, damages his own army, gets moderately more defensive as he gets more wounded, no EW, and provides a buff that is largely naff.

Look at Angron. Fearless is an incredible rule. Unless you do like most WE do and throw a Chaplain in to big blobs or charge out from an assault vehicle. Fearless is okay if footslogging to prevent breaking. But if footslogging, you are wasting Angrons ability to ultimately it is a loss. To use that rule, you are taking the second most killy primarch in the hope that those nearby LOSE their fights.

If it was a global Fearless, it wouldn't be so bad, because then you've got Fearless flanking forces like Recon Squads where 15 Attacks can do some damage and then stall. But no, you have to hope that Angron is leading a charge which ultimately stalls.

With a 165pt character you have a NL's force which can defend. As a Character without EW (IIRC) all it takes is a Scorpius Barrage (AP3, Barrage, and Barrage is the new Sniper) or 3 Pfist wounds (statistically), and you've lost your Stubborn buff. Considering both he and Sevatar can bring a Banner providing Fearless, what buff exactly is a slightly larger Stubborn bonus.

His niche is so niche, it is not worth even niche XD.

True but FW has been pretty lazy and error proned by just copypasting the old rules in for the reprints. Just look at the new Justaerin entry for an example (Able to add 7 additional bodies for a total of 12; clearly not intentional since they came stock with three and are updated to have five base).

Actually I believe it was letsyoudown who talked to one of the lead designers and they said it was 100% intentional to allow that. Forgot the reasoning though.

Suck it world eaters we get an entire army that can potentially have 2+ to hit. Not so special anymore Khârn!

With the new assualt squad formation what about that combined with an allied death guard recon detachment. Give out precision deepstrikijg to everyone. Or you can do it with the new raptor row or even terror assualt.

Hahaha I don't buy that. Especially since Bligh was quoted telling people that players didn't see the bigger picture in regards to Alpha Legion Headhunters only having combi-bolters...and what do you know? Combi-weapons

Is there actual screenshots of the new Rites out yet or just Garro's sparknotes from the 30k forums? Some of them look pretty unbalanced while there are some that probably won't ever get taken. (Why would you not take that jetbike RoW over Angel's Wrath?)

Edit: My rhetorical question for clarity :tongue.: . The jetbike RoW might as well be Angel's Wrath+ while the tank RoW might as well be Armored Speahead+

Edited by NonExistentOne