[HH1.0] Night Lords Tactics

Verity

It's hard not to take sevatar in general. He has such great synergy and is a powerhouse in combat that it's usually detrimental to go another route.

So if you're like me and sevatar never leaves the list, then the initial unit basically gets a nice discount from the unneeded tactical squad, in comparison to a legion terminator unit.

Even without the compulsory troop relief, you get transponders for free and trophies, which were costed at 25/unit in horror cult. So you're at 235 for the enhanced WS, chainglaives and disordered. Pretty fair honestly.

It's hard not to take sevatar in general. He has such great synergy and is a powerhouse in combat that it's usually detrimental to go another route.

So if you're like me and sevatar never leaves the list, then the initial unit basically gets a nice discount from the unneeded tactical squad, in comparison to a legion terminator unit.

Even without the compulsory troop relief, you get transponders for free and trophies, which were costed at 25/unit in horror cult. So you're at 235 for the enhanced WS, chainglaives and disordered. Pretty fair honestly.

Ah, you see, to be honest that's why I stopped taking him in more casual games. He's great, I know it. So now I usually try different HQs. And then Atramentar surely do lose their edge a bit. I envisioned a small squad that would be a nice bodyguard unit to my warlord that would always stay nearby akin to what Krukesh or the Exalted had. Alas, we're clearly incentivized to take larger squads. Ah, well, I've got to try it out anyway.

I wouldn't agree on fair pricing at base size though, Fear for a unit is nowhere near 25pts worth (the audacity of the horror cult! wonder why it wasn't popular...) and chain glaives are only an option (even though I'm very glad they allowed it, now let Contekars take it !), so many will have axes or chainfists instead. Maybe they'll tweak the costs a bit in the future, like they did with Contekar...

Ya I feel you about being burned out on the good option. Sevatar salvages it with a great model and even better fluff though lol.

And ya, i agree it sucks to not have that bodyguard style incentive, because they are pricy pricy for a non-troop version.

Also while I do agree that trophies for 25 is steep, it's also the only real metric, other than 5 for an IC. I think chainglaives should be considered in cost as they're fairly superior to the standard array of power weapons; axes are overshadowed completely by fists on terminators. I'll put it like this, would you prefer chainglaives on the contekar or their standard weapons; would you pay more for chainglaives?

I don't deny that chain glaives are an appealing choice, superior in every way to puny power swords (unlike regular units that thanks to 2x CCW could make a compelling argument for the sword), I just meant that I'm not factoring in extra points for optional chain glaives that I don't even take in my "What should be the price of Atramentar " calculations.

But you're right, on termis they probably do overshadow the power weapons (or maybe the other way round, glaives are the same as always, it's the power weapons that lose out on extra attack) and could be treated as a base weapon. I really don't know If I would willingly pay let's say 5 pts for Contekar to upgrade from blades to glaives. It's quite a conundrum as that would mean paying for replacing a weapon better than 10 pts sword with an exactly 10 pts glaive.

Axes may not be the best choice but they are an economical choice! If TfM kicks in, most enemies don't really care if the "Ap2 wounds on 2+" weapon is fist or axe. I prefer to go for a mix of Axes and Chainfist and avoid fists altogether. Besides, some unlucky Terminator has to die first, might as well save 5 pts.

Edited by Lautrec the Embraced

That's pretty fair. For me, 5 points is so cheap its pretty much the economy option anyways lol

I guess it boils down to how much are you willing to pay for the bonus stats and special rules/wargear for a min-sized, non troop atrementar. Its especially hard because there's so much low-hanging synergy, yet raptors are incredibly efficient for their cost as a comparison.

Hmmm, you know how the Blooded Gauntlet RoW prevents you from taking Terminators as those 2 compulsory Elites? Well now he have a workaround, as it doesn't explicitly say you can't take Terminators in troops ! They won't deep strike but can infiltrate thanks to Sevatar and also gain a tasty reward of Zealot USR.  This may not be the fluffiest use of Atramentar though but if you want an army of red-gauntleted terminators, well now there's an opportunity.

Edited by Lautrec the Embraced

• 2 months later...

Is it just me or can I infiltrate my rhinos if they are dedicated transports for my terror squads? I'm thinking of infiltrating the Rhinos forward with Multimeltas to pop transports turn 1 and have the Terror squads inside deflagrate the occupants.

Is it just me or can I infiltrate my rhinos if they are dedicated transports for my terror squads? I'm thinking of infiltrating the Rhinos forward with Multimeltas to pop transports turn 1 and have the Terror squads inside deflagrate the occupants.

Page 167 Age of Darknes Rulebook.

Fair enough, rules-wise I looks like this is doable. What I want to know is what are people's thoughts on this as a tactic. Would it be viable?

Fair enough, rules-wise I looks like this is doable. What I want to know is what are people's thoughts on this as a tactic. Would it be viable?

Sure. Deploying after your enemy is always a nice thing and if that unit can shoot it is even better.

Man the bloody gauntlet is like...the masochistic mode of playing your legion. Similar to BA day of sorrows.

Terror Assault has been buffed even more with the changes in book nine.

Swift Blade is totally playable.

There's even nic(h)e uses for the Cross of Bone.

But yeah ... I'm still trying to figure out an actual use for Bloodied Gauntlet too.

• 2 weeks later...

So with Terror Assault and my models that can jink - what kind of cover save can I get on turn 1?

Night fighting, jink, Night Lords turn 1 have a 5+, terrain cover etc etc.

I'm assuming ... 'my models that can jink'  ... refers to jetbikes and / or speeders. Next time be a bit more precise ?

Also, I am sorry to dissappoint, but the Jink USR gives you a fixed 4+ cover save, and the NL Legiones Astartes rule bestows a 5+ (on first game turn).

Both are mutualy exclusive. Simple as that.

Both DO stack with additional effects, like 'shrouded' or 'stealth' of course, regardless how you obtain them (Terror Assault, Kurze, whatever, etc.)

So yeah, 'jink' plus 'shrouded' gives you a 2+ cover save ...  Was that what you wanted to hear ?