Vehicles with Marble effect

Tanhausen

Howdy-all?

As all of you certainly know (because EVERYBODY reads ALL of my SUPER INTERESTING posts), I'm planning on participating on the event that involves painting tracked vehicles.

And what better entry than a just finished building BaneBlade?

So I had thought that I'd just go for my staple DA green scheme (nothing fancy, just functionality).

And then I found yesterday a tutorial to pain marble effect.

Which is something I've always wanted to try.

Yeah, you figured it out...and I'm thinking: am I crazy attempting a never tried techinique on a never painted model such as a Baneblae (yeah, its my first...)

So here I turn to my Brothers with the following questions:

1.- Do you think a foot by foot model painted in green marble would look good?

2.- Can you help me find pics of models painted in marble that look good in your opinion?

THANKS!

I've only ever seen marble effect painting on statues or buildings etc for wh40k, but I just used google for a search  'painted marble effect figurine', few interesting minis.

For a gaming board I'm using a marble vinyl tile as a base for a temple. Looks ok.

Your baneblade will look very unique but maybe also a huge solid piece of rock/gemstone!

Good luck with it.

Hmm....I think it could look good...but not OMGTHATISRIDICULOUSLYAWESOME good.  So if you already had experience with the technique, sure...but I think the risk of not getting it right (it's your first try) is too high for not enough potential reward.  I wouldn't do it. 

I like Avoghai's idea...green marble on the gothic chapel bits of a dark talon, for example, set against the black of the rest of the bird...epic.  Not sure about green marble on an otherwise DA Green tank, though...maybe green marble on a bone white tank? 

Thanks for the input!

Most of my army is DW or has bone touches to it (yes, even the bikes). The only things that dont have a DW touch are my rhinos, pods and tacticals/scouts.

Obviously, you guys are right regarding the risk.

So I'll probably "just" vow a LR I got in a trade recently and go for a DW "base" with marble in the armour and most exterior platings...not positive how THAT should look.

I wish I had any photo editing skills to just have a general sense of how it would look xD

Thanks again for the comments and I'll keep you posted!

If you have a look at my LR where some sections are done in DA green you could do these in your marble effect as well as around the doors. Might look good msn-wink.gif

Fully marble done well would look great as a display piece, in an army I think it might be just a tad odd.  I'm trying to wrap my head around a vehicle made heavily for battle being made from marble around power armored/terminator armored clad Astartes and guardsman.

If you were to do a diorama of a sort of "imperial war memorial" commemorating the Battle of XXXX with some marble guardsman around it that might look cool.

(which would follow the same concepts)

I think also a google search of jade would be helpful (dark, not light)

As well as dark green marble

All in all I think you'll have your work cut out for you and just wanted to say don't give up! Because the finished product will still look great.  

@Elmo thanks for the linky...yep, that would be the idea, but I'd like to have MOAAAR GRIIIN Darn, I might have to do a "test-rhino"...my goodness, this just went from a Baneblade to a rhino...lol

@SvenOne Thanks a lot for the support.

Yes, fully stone effect is probably out of consideration.

Some heavy marble slabs from the last remaining meteors of the fragments of the pieces of the (you get the idea) of Caliban, to protect the machine spirit...hmmmmmmmmmm

A story is brewing!

Thanks a LOT guys! Nothing like my favourite gentleman's club to get inspiration AND motivation!

Well I can say there's a good number of bits in the Ravenwing battleforce pack (ravenwing upgrade sprue) lots of statues and the like.  Maybe there's some way you could take the deathwing knight storm shields and use.  Unfortunately they are already curved but if there was a way to flatten without snapping you could get some nice crests on the as marble carvings instead of the shields they are.  The Darkshroud bit is also pretty good but would probably be a little harder to come by.

Here I am, 5 min before finishing "work" and thinking:

My desk  (at home) has 5 scouts and a pod I HAVE to finish for a GT in 2 weeks.

But man...thinking about these kind of projects just makes me SOOO EXCITED!

Its like being a kid and knowing that tomorrow you're being taken to your favourite place in earth.

Please please please let the time tick and get home so I can start dry fitting stuuuuuf!

Archived