Ideas for How to Get/Make Medals for Officers

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a place I could get bitz involving medals or medal racks that I can use on officers.

I like having my officers and the odd senior sergeant displaying medals on their uniforms like the Germans in WWII did. It helps morale immensly and looks great (one of the major differences between my army and true DKoK).

I did buy one Cadian command squad for bitz and cut the medals off the one officer torso, and I was able to decorate two of my officers with this. But now that the days of online bitz stores are gone, I don't want to buy a whole further Cadian box just for a few medals (at the moment I have everything I need otherwise for my army -- I've saved the best for last when it came to modelling/painting, hence few officers complete to date).

Is there anything else out there? My green stuff skills are slowly improving but they are nowhere near where they'd need to be to try modelling my own medals onto officers.

How about cutting tiny plasticard (maybe 1x1mm or so) and painting them in the colour code fashion?

I know NOTHING about military and medals, but they probably use the colour codes when on the field and save the shinny metal for parades and similar?

Just an example.

http://www.rhodesianforces.org/graphics_army/RhodesianMilitaryMedals.jpg

Cheap, fast and quite simple.

Hope it helps :)

Medals are pretty small on 28mm scale, so for sculpting you're not looking at more than a few flat generic shapes. Rectangles, triangles and circles are all you need for basic medal shapes. As far as GS skill goes it'd make for a good exercise in familiarising yourself with it so I reckon you should give it a go :)

The Empire Duelist with the sword has some medals on his chest, though we're talking full ribbons-with-'coins'.

I too suggest giving Green Stuff a go. It's not that hard, and a project like medals should be good practice (both in GS and training your patience!).

Archived