Thunderhawk 3015's Space Wolves Warband - Image Heavy

Thunderhawk3015

Been fiddling around with a light box and a new camera.  These should hopefully be better than the disaster that my Chaos images turned out to be.

The bolter barrels will be drilled and great company markings will be added at a later date.  I've been experimenting with not using highlights and instead going for flat matte colors that in normal light will produce their own highlights/shadows on the armor plating.  Comments and criticisms please, since I know I missed something somewhere.

Wolf Lord

Thunderlord 4

Thunderlord 3

Thunderlord 2

Thunderlord 1

His buddies, on their wolves.

Thunderwolf Cavalry

TWC 1_2

TWC 2_3

TWC 3_4

TWC 4_1

TWC 5_1

Wolf Guard:

Wolf Guard

WG 1_4

WG 2_4

WG 3_4

WG 4_1

WG 5_1

Blood Claws Pack:

Blood Claws 1_2

Blood Claws 2_2

And fInally the Grey Hunters and their ride:

Grey Hunters 2_2

Grey Hunters 1_2

Drop Pod

Space Wolves look so much better with a dark, gritty grey. Love these guys, dude. Really good job. If I were to start Wolves it'd undoubtedly be in a similar scheme.

My only comment is on your Wolf Lord. His Thunderwolf's great, but the fur kind of blends into the base (at least it does in the pics) and the base is pretty bland. Something else on that base to make it 'pop' and make him stand out as a centrepiece to your army would be a good idea, I think.

Everything else looks great though. Done the wolves of Fenris proud.

Love the rawness of the paint finish, a very nice crisp and tidy blended job through your entire force.  It does make me itch to wonder how they would look with a light wash here, a minor highlight there, and a finish of matt satin varnish to pick up a sheen.  But that would defeat your intentions :)

Apart from the pink haired marine (well spotted!), your TWC Lord's cloak does feel a bit bright by comparison to your overall army, any reason?

@mactire:  Mechanicus Standard, shaded Nuln Oil, then overbrushed with Mechanicus Standard.

@infyrana:  Its a trophy from some native Fenrisian nasty that the lord got the better of and now uses as a cloak.  I didn't like the look of dried leather or similar effects so I went with something that contrasts sharply. 

@BrotherCaptainArkhan: The paws are actually black with the drybrush for the basing over them for some weathering.  Still not 100% on it but if I decide to go back to black its an easy step.   I wanted to keep the base simple as I have this nasty habit of making the base cooler than the model. 

On the subject of hair, I'm somewhat infamous for when asked what color to use on something for saying tentacle pink(yes I still have some) and it was used on that guy for kicks.  I wanted to make the blood claws stand out and do something aside from the "normal" hair colors so I decided to go punk rocker colors.  I'm happy with how they turned out for my first foray into non standard hair coloring.  I still have 30 more blood claws to do 20 more grey hunters and characters including a Ragnar conversion, Njal, Arjac, and Logan Grimnar so there will be more bright colored hair but... they are sitting in a box somewhere until I finish a xenos project I have had siting for over a year.  

Archived