Now that the new Codex is here, might as well dance

Afrikprophet

Blood for the Emperor God! :lol:

10 Sister Rhino mounted squads still have their place, their additional resilience and damage output is useful. They'd do well supporting Immo squads which could get overwhelmed otherwise as they'd be relying on their mobility and special weapons to win the day but the days of fielding them exclusively might well be over for now.

I've gone the other way; massive 20 sister deathstars all out as far as im concerned.  You're not going to want to come within 18" of any of them, that's for damn sure.

well i for one am having mixed emotions on the priests in particular as they are just great in almost every respect, they make units very hearty and versitile but are dudes....i mean i thought we were in a matriarchy here at least for fluff sake and for 25 he does everything a cannoness does but better and cheaper :(

ap2 on int, fearless, hatred, reroll saves, reroll wounds.... i mean we did need this utility but not at the cost of our queen 'o' nuns

well i for one am having mixed emotions on the priests in particular as they are just great in almost every respect, they make units very hearty and versitile but are dudes....i mean i thought we were in a matriarchy here at least for fluff sake and for 25 he does everything a cannoness does but better and cheaper sad.png

ap2 on int, fearless, hatred, reroll saves, reroll wounds.... i mean we did need this utility but not at the cost of our queen 'o' nuns

If you don't like old geezers lecturing your Sisters on faith during battle, why don't you use female models for priests?

I certainly will:

Priestesses

and have been doing so since the WDex, with my Marija Jacobus.

Marija Jacobus

well i for one am having mixed emotions on the priests in particular as they are just great in almost every respect, they make units very hearty and versitile but are dudes....i mean i thought we were in a matriarchy here at least for fluff sake and for 25 he does everything a cannoness does but better and cheaper :(

You do know nothing says you can't field female priests *hint hint*

EDIT: ninja'd

Yeah I was looking at the old bretonnian sorceress aswell for priests, though I don't particularly mind having the odd male character in my army; just like I don't mind having the odd female one amid my space marines :p

well i for one am having mixed emotions on the priests in particular as they are just great in almost every respect, they make units very hearty and versitile but are dudes....i mean i thought we were in a matriarchy here at least for fluff sake and for 25 he does everything a cannoness does but better and cheaper sad.png

They are also Independent Characters now so they can leave and join other units as needed. You could take them as their own unit if you wanted. I am seriously considering using a command squad with 3 to 5 priests attached to it for a few games and see how they work.

[edit]

I took the time to run some numbers. Command squad with 4 heavy flamers and a Hospitllar joined by 4 priests is not looking so good. They can survive a bit of shooting and are very resilient in close combat with re-roll saves and FnP but not so good in dishing it out. In fact, they actually do better in Overwatch. The problem is of course being S3 in assault. WS3 is also a set back when the priests with smash are only hitting 1/3 of the time.

So ... 215 points for a tarpit unit. 255 if you want to put 4 condemnors on the priests. Well, it is what it is. It looks like no matter what I try they will stay a close range shooting army.

i should have clarified i dislike the replacemnet of our iconic leaders more than any gender issues, (btw if they wanted them to be female they would have listed priest/priestess) 

Well to be fair, that's been happening for a long time with Kyrinov and Jacobus on the scene.  Now the Canonness got better and the absence of the 'special K' from our codex and if anything our army is more 'womanly' then before!

i should have clarified i dislike the replacemnet of our iconic leaders more than any gender issues, (btw if they wanted them to be female they would have listed priest/priestess) 

Ah.  I see your point. 

The Canoness does have three wounds.

But then you could take 3 priests for 10 points over her base cost.

It's really not a big deal, the priests aren't a member of the Sisterhood and they're accompanying not leading the Sisters - like others have said just use a female model if you want. That aside, it's not really a matriarchy either as the head honcho sits on the Golden Throne and doesn't go by "Empress" tongue.png

Who cares what they want!$! 

It's way more important how you want your army to look like, while most opponents just want you to abide the rules of the game.

My uneducated thoughts on the changes so far:

- It's nice that Canoness was buffed to be a more viable alternative, because the model is just so friggin' awesome. I'm just not sure why she couldn't have Hatred all the time instead of as a one-off.

- Celestine... well, it would've been nice to try him out in his previous incarnation, but the new one still seems quite viable as well.

- 2 specials for 5-sister squads is nice, as is dominions getting 4 specials. Not that I have enough models for the latter...

- Heavy bolter price increase sucks, thought it was to be expected. At least the HF came down, although that was to be expected as well.

- Exorcists going down in price makes them more of a must-have. It's a buff, but still kinda annoying when Retributors got subjectively worse.

- Priests are potentially pretty nice. I don't see anything stating the model can't use the highest leadership value in the squad (unlike with say, psyker powers)? Which would mean a pretty darn good chance of rerolls for everyone in combat. Attach a priest or two to a bunch of crusaders and you'd have a pretty durable tarpit unit! If only I had any crusaders, anyway. Or priests, for that matter... though I'd prefer priestesses. These are supposed to be Sisters, after all!

- No update on the BT issue, but I suppose that was too much to ask tongue.png

- Condemnor Boltgun could potentially be VERY nutty. Especially against GK it seems to me it'll be basically game-breaking unless FAQed.

I just noticed that Dominions don't need a dedicated transport anymore. I think I finally have a place for my jump pack cannoness model. thinking of having her lead a squad of dominions that "grav chuted" along the flanks. purely stylistic but still kinda fun and gets her out.

• 3 weeks later...

Some good news, it looks like the codex Inquisition will let you field battle conclaves, with power weapons (not limited to powers swords) in Land Raiders with attached priests, which solves the issues with at least one of our units. You just have to pay a few points for an inquisitor HQ (and they can be very cheap).

It looks like I might be getting a land Raider in the near future...

Some good news, it looks like the codex Inquisition will let you field battle conclaves, with power weapons (not limited to powers swords) in Land Raiders with attached priests, which solves the issues with at least one of our units. You just have to pay a few points for an inquisitor HQ (and they can be very cheap).

I'd actually find that quite annoying if they have the power weapon option and we're stuck with power swords.  Maybe a mass moan to GW would be in order to try and get it changed :p

I'd actually find that quite annoying if they have the power weapon option and we're stuck with power swords. Maybe a mass moan to GW would be in order to try and get it changed tongue.png

I can confirm that Battle Conclaves have power weapons not power swords. Also Arcos are 5 points more than they are in our codex.

So they are the GK version then.  That's, umm, interesting I guess.  I'm not sure why the discrepancies between codices when they seem to have been trying to make cross codex units identical lately.  I wonder if ours will be changed to match the Inquisition/GK conclaves at some point.

Archived