Sentry Gun Battery or Rapier Battery

facmanpob

I'm in the planning stages of a First Legion force, based around the defence of the Diamat Forge world described in the book Fallen Angels (so Pride of the Legion RoW, Veteran Squads, some armour, not much in the way of skimmers or bikes). Until a week or two ago, I had been including a Rapier Battery in my list as it seemed sensible that the defenders of the Forge would be using 'static' emplacements. However, with the release of the Massacre book, the Tarantula Sentry Gun has been added to the mix, and I am now torn between the two. I'd like to write down some of my thoughts on the pros and cons of both options, and hopefully get everyone's thoughts as to which you would choose....

Let's start with the....

Rapier

Crewed, so can move and has BS4

Basic Quad Heavy Bolter has been boosted by FAQ to Heavy 6 twin linked making it viable imo

Can take up to 3 in a battery.... i.e. 3 Quad HB, gives 18 Twin linked S5 AP4 rounds per turn out to 36"

Upgrade options for barrage anti-infantry and anti-tank weapons

Expensive models at £30 each, would probably use the Mantic Hailstorm cannons as alternatives (3 for £30!!) but that would limit me to using the Quad HB version in game

Takes up an Elite slot, which is the most contested slot in my list....

Sentry Gun

Cheap to include in list (25% cheaper than Rapier) - 3 in a battery taking 2 TL rotor cannon each are under 100 points..... 24 TL S3 shots at BS3

Uses Fast Attack slot which is less congested than Elite

Has upgrade options for anti-tank, anti-infantry and anti-air at reasonable cost

Has ability to take Shrouded special rule (until it shoots) for reasonable cost so could end up with very good cover save on first couple of turns

Static, uncrewed so fires automatically at targets giving less flexibility in target designation

Expensive models at £17 each, but can use the very nice Puppetswar alternatives at £8 each with upgrade weapon options available to purchase inexpensively.

So, given the options, which would you choose in a defensive force?

Archived