1000 points Night Lords Rite of War

chosen40k

Gonna start building a HH army with the Night Lords, how's this list for a start? Trying to be fluffy. Is there anything I'm lacking or should replace? Thank You!

Legion Praetor 100 pts
-Terror Assault

Legion Terminator Squad 175 pts (ALREADY BOUGHT THE MODELS)
-5 members
-Cataphractii Terminator Armor

Terror Squad 205 pts
-10 members
-Melta Bomb

Terror Squad 130 pts
-5 members
-Melta Bomb

Terror Squad 130 pts
-5 members
-Melta Bomb

Night Raptors Squad 255 pts
-10 members
-Melta Bomb

Total: 995 pts

Your Praetor looks like he pretty desperately needs wargear.  Maybe combine your two five man Terror squads into a single ten man squad, which should free up 55 points.  Then you can afford Cataphractii armor for him and he can join your terminators.  You could then also afford a Reaper Autocannon and Power Fist for the terminator squad, to give them a little bit of ranged anti-armor (which is something this list is desperately lacking - I think.  I don't know a lot about Terror Squads).  At least it'll let you open up some Rhinos before you get in close, and give your terminators something to kill vehicles in melee with (lacking krak grenades or meltabombs).  I personally would not feel comfortable fielding something that just relied on meltabombs for dealing with armor, I'd want to at least stuff some meltaguns in the list somewhere.

That does throw a bit of a kink into things.  Maybe cut the Terror Squads all down to 5 men, so that you have points to give your terminators a special weapon or two (can they replace their power weapons with chain glaives?  it would seem more fluffy, perhaps?).  A naked Praetor really seems like a waste to me.  Maybe give him either terminator armor to go with the terminators, or a jump pack to go with the Raptors (using the points from reducing your 10 man Terror Squad)?  A 10 man squad of Raptors, led by a jump pack Praetor (I think that would also be fairly in line with Night Lords fluff?), with some melta bombs/krak grenades, maybe a power fist somewhere, that has the mobility to at least catch a vehicle and deal with it fairly efficiently.  Your terminators can either deep strike in (I think that only costs a few points for the entire squad?) to help your Raptors after they move up the field, or maybe just be deployed to march around with the Terror Squads.

Alright, cut down the Terror squad, here's the revised list

Also Terror Squads are pretty much veteran legionaries with Fear, Preferred Enemy and Infiltrate. Though they don't come with bolters.

Legion Praetor 135 pts
-Terror Assault
-Nostraman Chainglaive
-Jump Pack

Terror Squad 140 pts
-5 members
-Nostraman Chainglaive

Terror Squad 140 pts
-5 members
-Nostraman Chainglaive

Terror Squad 140 pts
-5 members
-Nostraman Chainglaive

Night Raptors Squad 255 pts
-10 members
-Melta Bomb

Legion Terminator Squad 190 pts
-5 members
-Nostraman Chain glaive (free replacement for the sarge's power weapon)
-Cataphractii Terminator Armor
-Deep Strike

Total: 1000 pts

Hey!  Sorry to leave you hanging for a few days, but I got a few thoughts together for you on this.

First, I'm not sure the Sergeant in the terminator squad gets a free replacement for his power weapon.  The rule states only for Independent Characters and Characters, and I think the Sergeant in Legion Terminator Squads is only Infantry?  Second, you have miscounted the points for your Terror Squads.  They are all 5 points over what they should cost.

I think, otherwise, this might be about the best you can do for this rite of war at this points level, assuming you definitely want to include the 10 man Raptor Squad and the Terminators.  Lots of chain glaives in the list is probably both effective (all of your Headsmen can now scratch AV13/14 and pen 2+ saves with their rends!) and helps carry on the Night Lords theme.  I think the only wiggle room you have is in the deep strike points on the terminators (and the extra 15 points from your Terror Squads that you spent on nothing).  You might want to playtest the list a little and see if those points are better spent on a meltagun for your raptors or an autocannon on the terminators or something - or maybe a refractor field for your Praetor.  Deep strike on them seemed like a good idea at first, but the more I think about it, the more it seems like you just can't afford to have 20% of your army off the field at this points level.  Emperor forbid you suffer a deepstrike mishap.  Consider modelling the terminators' power weapons as axes so you have some more AP2 in case you face other terminators.

My advice on taking anti-armor stuff may be completely unfounded, depending on your local scene.  At 1000 points, I don't really expect you'll run into many Land Raiders or Storm Eagles, but any you see are going to be trouble.  Even just dealing with a Contemptor is going to cause you some problems, but at least you have a meltabomb and some chain glaives to try and handle it.  Anything else with an AV should be dealt with handily by krak grenades up the tailpipe.

Awesome! Well I decided to use my new Cataphractii Terminators for my Sons of Horus list instead (another thread for that) so that leaves me with more points. More bodies for Terror Squads and Raptors or should the Termies just stay? Got 195 points left.

Revised list: 

Legion Praetor 145 pts

-Terror Assault
-Refractor Field
-Nostraman Chainglaive
-Jump Pack

Terror Squad 135 pts
-5 members
-Nostraman Chainglaive

Terror Squad 135 pts
-5 members
-Nostraman Chainglaive