[HH1.0] Iron Hands Tactics

Noctus Cornix

Yeah, you'd lose the inbuilt cannon if you swapped the Arlatax power claw for an arc scourge. Probably worth it, as it makes them multi-taskers, and they'll still get a bonus attack for having 2 weapons.

It should also be noted that the arc scourge gives them Rampage and Concussive when attacking with it, so it can be brutal against a lot of targets! Still, it's hard to take 1 of them over 1.8 Castellax...

Well, as they have a Cybernetica Cortex (which allows MC's to fire 3 weapons), they can fire both of their inbuilt cannons AND the plasma blaster. :)

For clarification, if you can give Autek Mor a Cyber-familiar I assume you can also give one to Shadrak Meduson also?

Could you give one to Ferrus Manus? Or has that been FAQed?

For clarification, if you can give Autek Mor a Cyber-familiar I assume you can also give one to Shadrak Meduson also?

Why would you even be able to do this? They are unique characters and if upgrades are not mentioned in their unit entry how on earth do you justify slipping a cyber-familiar on them?

Why would you even be able to do this? They are unique characters and if upgrades are not mentioned in their unit entry how on earth do you justify slipping a cyber-familiar on them?

RAW any character with LA:IH can take one.

I agree with you, it's very iffy - but in the same manner people give some AL characters Power Daggers.

Still, it's hard to take 1 of them over 1.8 Castellax...

Nah, I've heard this before, but its the same as saying "I have a Sicaran so there's no reason to take a Medusa."

They're both armored vehicles, but they have radically different roles that can't really be traded for the other. 

Arlatax are purpose built to be big-stuff killers, monstrous/gartantuan creatures, Primarchs and the like. Castellax are meant to be the Mechanicum mainstay; reliable but much less specialized.

I would much rather have the single Arlatax (or in my case the Homonculex, cause I'm all traitor) than even two castellax against greater daemons, primarchs or some of the 40k tom foolery.

Ever tried to catch a Wraithknight with a Castellax posse? :D

Still, it's hard to take 1 of them over 1.8 Castellax...

Nah, I've heard this before, but its the same as saying "I have a Sicaran so there's no reason to take a Medusa."

They're both armored vehicles, but they have radically different roles that can't really be traded for the other. 

Arlatax are purpose built to be big-stuff killers, monstrous/gartantuan creatures, Primarchs and the like. Castellax are meant to be the Mechanicum mainstay; reliable but much less specialized.

I would much rather have the single Arlatax (or in my case the Homonculex, cause I'm all traitor) than even two castellax against greater daemons, primarchs or some of the 40k tom foolery.

Ever tried to catch a Wraithknight with a Castellax posse? :biggrin.:

In addition to that, once you upgrade castellax, they are almost Domitar range in cost. 

Plus Arlatax are jump pack monstrous creatures so they are more of a threat with their maneuverability plus with their deadly arsenal (which you get all at base cost) they would be the bane of the most infantry squads who they would easily carve through

^Certain types of infantry.

I'd be careful with the type of infantry you target with them. Marines will probably go down pretty quickly, but even a charging Arly only gets, what 4 attacks hitting on 4s? The extra from rampage definitely helps and will help you get through standard marines faster, but then you have to trade Str9, which can be a big issue if you're trying to kill off a character or 2W terminators. 

Terminators are another problem as well. 50% of your wounds just disappear on that 4++. Then you get chainfists. 

Or fearless, rending cultists. Those might actually suck more than terminators.

Be smart with what you charge with them, is what I'm saying :biggrin.:

Edited by Flint13

Thanks for the condescending italics, they are battle automata, HotG allows you to take any battle automata as an elites choice. I understand they are a Iron warriors legion specific unit, but I would say HotG overrides that....

No need for the defensive posture, he did it in jest. Hence the smiley.

HotG doesn't overide legion specific restrictions as far as I know.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be condescending. Just a cheeky emphasis. :P

It actually says, "Legio Cybernetica Battle-automata Maniples may be included as Elites choice within the army..." Given the fact that Perturabo designed the Domitar-Ferrum (and after Phall, at that), it's unlikely the Iron Hands had access to that tech. They also aren't available to the Legio Cybernetica, so I guess that rules them out.

^^

Pretty much that. Battle-Automata they might be, they're still a Legiones Astartes: Iron Warriors unit (despite not having the rule) and not Legio Cybernetica.

I highly doubt a unit that Perturabo can take as a Command Squad and that, per the fluff, he built himself post-Phall, that they would be available to Iron Hands.

"No need for the defensive posture, he did it in jest. Hence the smiley.

HotG doesn't overide legion specific restrictions as far as I know."

Agreed, clearly read too much into that, sorry Callum. For me, the grief of our Ferrus' death is still to near...

Edited by Cadmus Tyro

We should take the "Aliens" meme and replace it with "Alpha Legion".

Because thats how I feel about them due to all the "Oh, that nice shiny legion specific unit you've got? Yeah well we have it too but it can infiltrate now." shenanigans.

Edited by Slipstreams