Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

I really like your blue Flint. Some posters here make me jealous with their work and some inspire me to paint more. Your  minis are exactly what I picture when I read the black library books. Not that I am not jealous or inspired LoL You capture the "grit" of the post apocalyptic environment somehow. Maybe it's the lighting, maybe it's intentional, I don't know. Keep up the great work whatever it is.

thumbsup.gif That works!

One of the nice things about this type of effect is that you can vary it a lot so that everyone's flamer doesn't look the same. Also, I like to use a brass color on the nozzle sometimes just to break things up.

Play on, M'lady.

New tactical dude.

Replies!
@ Dark Rage - Thanks for the tips. I'll play around with it and see what I can come up with. I like the tiny flame too. Marines need helmets, flamers need ignition sources.
@ Tanith Ghost - Thanks. I think they came out well for a first shot. Lightning is 50/50.
@ Vazzy - Thanks buddy! Glad to be able to toss you in somewhere ^_^ I really want to see your destroyers all painted and pretty.
@ Forte - Unwritten upon, maybe. Unspoilt, of course not.
@ Heathens - Glad to hear it. I have an odd affection for the little stamp and seals even though they are a more loyalist endeavor.
@ Knight of the Raven - Haha, good to hear. Plasma baton castration it is!
@ Forte - Hey, I know what your fun entails dry.png
@ 200Plus - Thanks for stopping in, and glad to know I can inspire. I put down the post apocalyptic grit to a sorta lazy/messy painting style choice wink.png
@ Honda - Glad to know. I'll be playing around and perfecting it as I get more practice. Thanks for ideas.
@ Heinrich - I know you're just pushing me to succeed. I appreciate the helpful drive to better myself.
... you're like my evil Night Mom laugh.png

This latest tactical marine looks like he was slapped together, thrown onto the base without much thought and the helmet was painted on a dare.  There appears to be a huge gap between the left arm and the torso at the armpit.  The base has some weird clump of stuff piled up in front of the mini's boots like a weird snow drift.  That white stripe with the repeating x painted on it isn't a tactical marking I'm familiar with at all, it certainly wouldn't pass as a terror marking.  This particular mini seems like "one step forward and two steps back" for your work.

I can dig the faceplate markings. A bit unique and for some reason they make me think of Predators. And if that was the inspiration, I can definitely understand why you'd try to get that feel. But I do have to mirror concerns about assembly, especially where the left arm is concerned. If it wasn't painted, I'd suggest taking the opportunity to sculpt cabling.

This latest tactical marine looks like he was slapped together, thrown onto the base without much thought and the helmet was painted on a dare.  There appears to be a huge gap between the left arm and the torso at the armpit.  The base has some weird clump of stuff piled up in front of the mini's boots like a weird snow drift.  That white stripe with the repeating x painted on it isn't a tactical marking I'm familiar with at all, it certainly wouldn't pass as a terror marking.  This particular mini seems like "one step forward and two steps back" for your work.

A bit harsh mate. Might not be your cup of tea but I've seen plenty worse. 

Other than the face markings I can't see much wrong with it to be honest. Basing might be something you want to work on improving to match the quality of the models, simple things like making sure all of the black plastic is covered. I notice on the weapons of this one just how fine your grey highlight has become, similarly the lightning seems to be getting thinner, so well done on that.

i don't like the last guy with the two guns and have to agree with mikhail (but not that harshly msn-wink.gif )

his pose looks a little uninspired to me and i think the two bayonets are too much. my advice would be to change the bolter arm with a close combat weapon (you love axes msn-wink.gif go for it) and repose it.

the paintjob looks nice, but i don't feel the helmet markings.

looking forward to what's next!

p.s.: maybe try a different base, cork works really nice in my humble opinion :tu:

Afternoon guys. Here is new tactical guy version 2. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I think he looks a lot better now. I'm not 100% sure on his Astronomicon colored base. It does look a lot closer to the snow, but I think I prefer a flat black. Thoughts?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/585/tg1t.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/809/obwm.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/809/4act.jpg
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/36/hmez.jpg

@ Aquilanus - Thanks! That's the excuse I've been going with. Oaths of moment. Totally happy.png

@ Hushrong - Glad to know I'm driving sales, haha. As for his older marks, I was trying to go for a voodoo lips sewn shut short of thing. I don't think I'm a good enough painter to pull it off convincingly yet.

@ Heinrich - Close

@ Honda - Undoubtedly

@ Vazzy - That's a pretty good vision. I hadn't thought of that.

@ Mikhail - Fixed his arm (my first try at sculpting flexible under armor, actually) I shaved down his little weird snowdrift, and I tried a new helmet marking. What do you think of the new bits?

@ Forte - See above. Also, fun entrails is way more amusing

@ Kol - Predators is another good explanation. I actually kinda like that. How did my first attempt at under armor come out?

@ Sockwithaticket - Thanks! I can get small details down pretty well. Bigger parts seem to slip me by occasionally though. Dunno what that is

@ Wicced - There actually is cork under the snow, I think I just got a little over enthusiastic with the snow/glue mix. How does he look now?

I always do the edges of my bases black.

True story: I lost a painting competition due to black rims. It was the first thing I had ever painted for a competition and the judge told me that I would have won if I had. He said that the other figure was equally well done, but a non-black rim sets figures apart. I always remembered that and ever since I still do dark rims, but it's usually a fairly neutral color that isn't black.

In a lot of cases, I like black better, but I've always yielded on that one comment.

For the record: I really think the other figure was painted better, but I had a pretty decent conversion going. I actually didn't think I had a chance, so I was surprised and excited to get 2nd. Then I was quite annoyed to find out how close I was to 1st. But it was a good lesson for me.

Also, the judge was a pretty good painter himself.

Anyway, tl;dr, so all that to say, paint your rims. :)

Archived