Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

Alright guys. Let's see what we can do here, because I'm starting to get a little frustrated. Apologies in advance.

Firstly, I have zero problem with anyone criticizing my work, be it hobbying, painting, converting, whatever. It's the only way I get better, and I've gotten a lot of good stuff going so far. I'm not going to cry because someone doesn't like a paint job.

There are, however, currently two problems that I can see.

First, I want this thread to be somewhere that I can post pictures to get helpful advice and chat with my internet buddies about what I can do to improve and what looks good already. Everyone seems to be on edge, and it's frustrating to show back up to someone defending me, who's upset by someone else, who has been defending what someone else has said, etc. It spirals into this unpleasant circle that artificially drives up my thread's post count with useless stuff. I don't mind when people agree, disagree with me or anyone else in here. Just keep it from getting ridiculous.

Not to pick on you Kol, but it's perfectly fine for Heinrich to think my terror markings look goofy. On the other hand, I don't think you were actually trying to defend me, he just seemed to take it that way. I think you were just stating that you kinda liked it in response to Heinrich's statement that he wasn't a fan, which grew into this mini-deal above. Neither person is at fault, I'm not upset with anyone. Everyone just chill out a bit ok? happy.png

I love all you guys, so figure out how to agree/disagree with each other like you do with me.

Secondly, Mikhail. I really appreciate your contributions to my thread. You have made a lot of suggestions that I've implemented that I feel have really improved my work, and I really appreciate that.

But I also feel that several times you've been pretty rude when it hasn't been called for. The_Chaplain, Vazzy, Knight of the Raven, 1000Heathens, Brother Chaplain Kage, Brother Heinrich, Nephilim, Noctus Cornix and Wicced just to name a few, have all had things about my work they weren't fans of, but every one of them were polite about it. You don't need to walk on eggshells in here, but there have been several times people have mentioned it. It isn't the "slightest bit of criticism" that bothers me, but when things come off as brash and insulting.

Take Ppotts for instance. She had some very valid points about my painting. But she prefaced it by saying that I only got any attention because I'm a girl. You have certainly have not hit that extreme, but there have been plenty of things that could have been phrased better.

Like several posts back, Vazzy wasn't upset that you didn't like my work, he just thought your criticisms were stated pretty rudely. I hope it doesn't discourage you from posting in here, as I feel you've really helped me better a lot of my work. But I do need a level of polite interaction that doesn't make people uncomfortable. I hope that makes sense, and if I can clarify or help with anything, please feel free to PM me.

Alright folks, with that, let's try to keep this business drama free. I've got a lot of work to do thumbsup.gif

i would appreciate you keeping me out of this as i was subjected to a lot of venom and hate and when i tried to defend myself i was given a warning and my post deleted .

although i badly phrased my feelings i tried to point out that nothing was aimed at you flint rather the as has been mentioned the(fanboys)

if you wish to pm me i will offer advise but i am a big enough girl to realise anything i say here will be taken the wrong way .i wish you well in your endeavours and hope you listen to the experienced painters as it is those who will help you improve if that is your goal ,who knows what you could achieve.

painting and learning new techniques takes time and effort but being told everything is awesome will not help to push you further

Other than flayed skins, severed limbs, or skulls, what else would really be "scary"? Honestly, what can you paint on a little plastic or resin figure that would scare you? I like some of the things she's done, and some aren't to my taste, but I think the whole that's not scary argument is a bit silly.

Other than flayed skins, severed limbs, or skulls, what else would really be "scary"? Honestly, what can you paint on a little plastic or resin figure that would scare you? I like some of the things she's done, and some aren't to my taste, but I think the whole that's not scary argument is a bit silly.

An understandable retort, for sure. I suppose what exactly we (or atleast I) am trying to imply is that if you try and take the miniature and then imagine it in your head as an 8 foot tall power armoured killing machine, a white stripe across the face with cross hatching on it simply comes off as confusing rather than what it is trying to imply. I know what the intentions are for it, yet I feel that in that way, it doesn't quite relay it and to be frank reflects poorly on the model. That being said, I'm all for more abstract markings and experimenting where you can, I just don't think it worked so well in this case. Just my two cents.

Clown faces can be scary (no Flint. Don't do it).

(Yes Flint. Do it. Giant big red nose and all.)

then imagine it in your head as an 8 foot tall power armoured killing machine

I do. It's scary enough as it is, is it not? That's my whole point: astartes are already terrifying and short of draping gory trophies on them, there's not much that a paint job will do for a giant, armored, genetically enhanced killer that its mere presence hasn't already done on your psyche, so debating how truly scary her paint job would be if it were real is still silly imho. Honestly, if I was confronted by one of these guys, the last thing I'd be thinking about is if his personal choice of decorative paint on his armor really pushed the fear envelope a little more.

I hop on after a few more pages later and I still see you're causing trouble Flint :P

With that said have you thought about doing your bases a darker grey? I feel that it would still contrast the armor but not overpower the model.

As for adding gubbins to your models, I would just like to recommend to not to clutter up the models too much with bits as it can start to look cartoon-y in my opinion, but you have done a pretty good job of avoiding it so far :D

P.S. if you ever feel like sharing some of your resin goodies that you seem to have a large influx of, don't forget your old buddy depthcharge ;) I think I have a couple organs here and there if you'd like to trade haha just kidding

Keep up the good work, you are making improvements on your painting and modelling skills and even beginning to show your own flair in each model. What is that? I hear my model thread calling me....lol I need to get on that.....

Posted · Hidden by Captain Semper, February 18, 2014 - Off topic
Hidden by Captain Semper, February 18, 2014 - Off topic
Feedback on someone's work is good. Giving advice to assist should be welcome on a WIP forum. Some of it may be a little harsh, but that can always come down to being unable to express one's emphasis and whatnot. What's just as bad is "apologists" who feel the need to criticize someone else's feedback. Honestly, a lot of it seems to come down to the fact that Flint is supposedly female. I don't know Flint. I don't know if they're a male, a female, or my cat using the computer upstairs. I don't care. They're someone posting their work and looking for advice. The folks that are rabidly attacking critics are just as bad (if not worse) than the harsh worded post.

Oy vey. Yeah, let's talk about miniatures.

First off, terror markings. I like that you are attempting something different beyond the normal skulls n' stuff, I just don't personally care for the most recent ones you created. The markings don't necessarily need to be a skull, or even on the faceplate, mind you. For example, think of First Claw. Talos was rockin' the ol' skull, while Xarl had the ceremonial wings. Uzas wore a simple bloody handprint, Cyrion had nothing more than lightning bolt tears, and Mercutian was running about with massive set of horns from his helms' brow. Then, you had the Branded, a whole squad of Tenth Company who wore the same markings, being nostromian symbols burned into the ceramite of their plate. Beyond the beloved Tenth, you have guys like Sevetar who wore cobalt wings, Sheng with his ork skull making up his faceplate, the bloody tears of the Crimson Sons, etc.

Think of them like Gang Markings, but the individual IS the gang. Especially charismatic individuals have huge gangs, like their whole squad rocking the same symbol. Each should be unique to the person, an outward image mirroring the broken soul of the wearer. At the end of the day, though, the markings all have one simple facet that is true to all of them; they can burn into the mind of a well-read planetary governor, or a illiterate homeless man equally, no matter the culture. The markings don't need to be similar, no, but they need to trigger a simple, primitive reaction in the victim.

Hammer flayed faces to the front of helmets. Drench head and shoulders in blood. Branching antlers reaching from brows. Blackened leather hoods. Replace eyelenses with lenses the color of dead cataracts. Add speakers that replay the sounds of the skinning pits. Carve ribcages across chests. Blood pouring from mouth grilles. Helms the blue-grey of an ice cold corpse. Necklaces of ears.

I like that you're trying to be different with the markings. You just need to make them recognizable to the masses of your victims.

Your terror marking idea was very unique and something I think that is pretty cool. I must admit that I think it would be difficult to pull off a "lip-sewn-shut" look on a helm but you gave it the ol' college try. An idea I would like to see tried out would be a flayed face pinned to the helm with the lips sewn shut...but that's..kinda dark. Also, I concur with what Heathens has stated. Those are some great ideas for terror marks. 

Unlike my Emperor's Children legionnaire's terror mark. It was mostly white-powder residue clogging his vox-grill. He wouldn't stop twitching and shaking. It'd did not get any better as his brothers idea for an intervention was to host a rave...

Wolf came out pretty cool, although his skin tone is fairly dark for a guy growing up on an ice planet, I think.

but i'd have desecrated more of his wolf heraldy

I don't think he'd really eschew what makes him a wolf ie killing, maiming, brawling and getting wasted. He's still doing all of his hobbies, only under new management ;)

That was quick! It's probably not always cold, but the sun of fenris is described as pale, there's snow and they're pretty much vikings, so I'd imagine a paler skin tone to fit in with all of that.

It is entirely possible that the Wolf has been, or is, somewhere that is causing his skin to tan.

IMHO

Yes and no. The wolves have genetically adapted to an ice planet, and they have the whole canis helix thing and have been adapting drastically. It stands to reason they'd be losing pigmentation for generations, much like northern europeans or the inuit, hence they're unlikely to tan. Nothing but logic to that ;) 

Archived