Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

Afternoon folks, here's my first completed Ursarax. 

Now, I had to go for something a little different here. I want a slightly tabletop plus standard that I can repeat easily and with moderate alacrity (I do have 28 of these guys to paint, after all). He took me about 2 1/2 hours from primer to clear cote. 

UGH, metallics are hard to make photography war on. Hopefully this gives a decent idea.

@ Kael - Can't argue there. How's it look now?

@ Basswave - Long time coming, amirite? Hope you like the next few updates I have planned.

Time to paint groin banner with 5 stage blended layers? 32 minutes

Time to freehand Nostraman runescript? 17 minutes

Time to weather banner for more realistic look? 30 seconds

Time to mount that little censored.gif in the molded divots designed for it? 72 minutes

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/673/C2Xh0O.jpg

But hey, finally got it to hang straight happy.png

@ Kael - Thanks! I'm glad they came out acceptably with a minimum amount of time put in. I always I'm a passable model painter, but a terrible army painter. I'm slowly trying to correct that.

@ Lokkorex - me too!

@ Barabbas Sogalon - S'why I tried such a vibrant blue. That, and I've finally figured out how to paint a decent power weapon effect. So I try to squeeze that technique in where ever I can happy.png

@ Demon2027 - Glad to hear it came out well. I basically painted the visor like a giant, dark gemstone. Seems to work ok.

@ Dantay - Can't be much worse than a hug from an 8th legionary thumbsup.gif

@ Dark Bjoern - Glad you approve! I thought you might appreciate the recent upswing in robots ^_^

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing how that knight ends up, it's an awesome looking model. Great job on the finished banner by the way - it looks great. As if it took you over an hour to get it stuck though!! :O

Terror marks are great for Night Lords! Makes them look so sinister - I would love to see some Night Lords Traitor Guard/Cultists with them, almost in the style of call of duty ghosts with the balaclavas? I think that's the game, will have to ask my brother later as he is the CoD player but from what I have in mind it would look cool.

And micro update. Here's where I'm at after two hours on the spear. This thing a tiny nightmare. If I ever have to paint another I'm going to leave it 90% unassembled instead of the 50-ish with the Jackal Dawn.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/538/Atu7mt.jpg

@ Dark Apostle - sure thing! I think you're correct. I just finished up the single player in CoD ghosts myself.

@ Anaziel - the banner is the stokck one that comes with the knight kit. I'll admit to having zero clue to where the jawbone is from. It's been floating around my bits box for years.

Ouch, so the banner took almost as long to hang as it did to paint freehand and weather it!!

Eeshk, you have more patience than me. Its looking ace.

The spear is coming along nicely, despite the nightmare you say it has been.. Are you going to paint the tip of the spear, with the power weapon effect?

P.S. I'll let you know what its like to be hugged by an 8th Legionnaire when I happen to come across one msn-wink.gif

2 avatars in 1 day??

2 avatars in 1 day??

Yeah, it's almost like a Beyoncé concert in here :D

Seriously, though: Flint, I am really not a fan of the Cerastus Knight Lancer per se - the base model just seems awkward to me, and not really that much of an improvement over the standard Imperial Knight. That said, your version almost makes me want to reconsider, because you're really nailing it! My favourite part has to be the perfect amount of gruesome trophies and feral touches that make the model look believably non-loyalist, but not too far gone. Amazing work! :)

Lovely work on the Knight so far, but that Usarex is looking sweet. The visor/faceplate is particularly good.

I agree that the Knight is looking good so far but I'm also infatuated with the Ursarax.  Would you mind giving us the paint recipe for the dark armor plates and the rest of it?

Afternoon folks! Spear is 95% complete. Just undecided on the weapon tip. I tried out a new power weapon technique that a buddy suggested.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/746/CJ8h60.jpg

**Should I keep and highlight this liquid blue effect, or redo it in my "signature" swirly power weapon blue?**

@ Dantay - Sadly yes. It made me hate life a little. What do you think of the speartip?

And yes. I have like 21 more Elsas to get through. Some of them don't last long.

@ Jasp - Tell me about it, right? tongue.png

@ Ace Debonair - Glad to hear it was worth it! Seriously. F that thing.

@ Recon0321 - Thanks buddy! Glad to see you back in.

@ K-Sci - If it was my place, much more like Avril circa 2004 if we're going lady pop.

It's really inspiring to hear that you like my knight so much. Just like my Night Lords, I kinda like the feral look. Sorta like a little tribal deal. I suppose it comes from playing space wolves back in 2001 or so.

Your Khornate badass bloodknight got me off my tiny ass to do this one. How's he doing, by the way?

@ Dark Bjoern - The cerastus knight is hella posable. Just as much so as a contemptor dreadnought, I'd say. I think it's bc of the longer, sexier legs. msn-wink.gif

Can't wait to see those castallex head into some more awesome battle reports!

@ Kol - I'm working hard, I promise! Really just have the torso and left arm to go.

... ok, I know I'm missing something obvious, but who is Olaf? I immediately think of that censored.gif snowman from Frozen.

@ JackDaw - Thanks! I like the face myself. I basically just painted it like a giant gemstone, and it came out like that.

@ Mikhail - Oh sure, I'm glad to hear you enjoy it so much.

it's pretty super simple. All Vallejo paints,

1.) Basecoat black

2.) Broad highlight with dark bluegray

3.) Skinny highlight with medium sea gray

4.) Super edgy highlight with light gray

5.) Really heavy ink wash. Basically watered down calligrapher's ink out of a micron pen.

I think that is what makes it look a little unique. The heavy black ink gives it a dark almost lacquered look. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Archived