Savage Midnight: Armored Up an Rolling Heavy for ETL-Pg.109

Flint13

Haha, ok, as fun as it is, keep this business on topic!

Didn't have a ton of time for painting today. Finished assembling and basecoats on a fun mini-project that I've been working on in between bouts of painting this big ass knight. Another little gritty reboot of a favorite character of mine. Any guesses to the identity? ^_^

Sorry the pics came out a little dark unsure.png
Hopefully I should have the knight finished by this weekend.

Came across the original upload of that cataprhactii (Vaugun Wreave is the name you gave him right?) just earlier as I was going through your thread, will he still be accompanied by that giant force of terminators? I am enjoying this thread a lot, really a fan of the fluff you are including, really adds character. 

OMG! So not an update per se... But I am *so* glad I sat down with the photoshop manual and played around with a few things. Check this bidness out. So much clearer, if a little dark still. I'm learning fast ^_^

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/674/0Q6pB5.jpg

@ Jasp - I have no fewer than five headless Zhufors ^_^

@ Mors - Thanks! Isn't it swell? Totally looks better on 8th legion.

@ Slipstreams - I absolutely love all terminators, but I definitely agree here. The Tartaros and Indominus look bulky, but the Cataphractii suits look like legitimate *tanks* and I love that.

@ Forte - no worries, I'm totally taking my time!

@ Marqol - Yup, that be him ^_^ I much prefer his newer, more dynamic interpretation.

I don't envy you the read of the rest of the plog! but glad to hear you've enjoyed yourself.

OMG! So not an update per se... But I am *so* glad I sat down with the photoshop manual and played around with a few things.

There's a manual! I just auto level my photos (Ctrl+L). The crop as I don't zoom on or take the pics too close.

Alright, back to work. Just so everyone knows I' haven't forgotten about her happy.png

Shield is finished

And a workspace pic of the final piece to complete before I'm done.
@ Demon - Thanks! I had to find something that could scare other Night Lords into line. He is a chaplain after all.
@ Forte - Thanks! I'm slooooooowly getting better. It's a little extra learning curve as I'm using the PS Express app on my Ipad happy.png

@ Kol - Yessir. Does this work?

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/674/zRPW6x.jpg

I was trying to imagine what a wacky laser shield would look like when active. Basically the same mix I used for the glossy blue of the power spear, only in red. Also similar to the way I do the canopies of my Fire Raptor/Storm eagles and ravagers. 

Also, glad to hear you approve of Vaugun Wreave's gritty batman reboot ^_^

@ Kael - Haha, will do!

@ Candleshoes - So glad to hear it. It wasn't particularly difficult, it just took a *ton* of coats to get a consistency I liked. 11 coats to be exact.

@ Barabbas - Haha, of course! I like Madruk as well. He conducts his duties as a size comparison piece with a grim solemnity. 

@ Marqol - Well, the torso "chunk" basically has all her basecoats now. I'm thinking a few days if school work or the g/f don't kill me first.

I really wasn't completely sold on that shield when you posted it all by itself, but in the new image, it actually looks like some kind of energy barrier -- that is amazing, Flint!

Regarding the picture of the undercoated upper body -- was it always that spiky, or did you add some more trophies and spikes? Looking great, in any case!

Here's the second banner for the underside of the spear. Hopefully it's readable. Amusingly so if you speak Nostraman.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/633/FCvuKB.jpg

@ Midnight - Oh goodness, I appreciate the praise, but I don't envy you that read :P

@ Kraut - Thanks! It's really just clam shell plastic cut to shape.

I suppose that depends on when you mean "always." I have definitely added quite a bit of pointy bits. Most recent of which I think were the thorned shoulder guards. Its been a pretty gradual process.

hmmm I was about to suggest distortion ripples but have no idea how to get such an effect reproduced...

water effects should be able to do it-- though it's something you'd want to try on a separate piece of plastic sheet first. Or better yet, look up how nautical modellers make ocean waves in their dioramas.

Alrighty, we're getting somewhere.

@Demon2027 - I could definitely see that. Mayhaps a bit advanced for me though ^_^

@Slipstreams - I imagine something like resin water?

@The_Chaplain - hah! Yep, just like that. I suppose that's something I should look into here shortly ^_^

Had a bit to scroll through after being away (and so not able to view B&C :-/ ) but wow!

Firstly, that shield is amazing! Wasn't as keen on that knight sculpt as opposed to the standard one (despite the fact I normally love what FW does), and it was the shield that was a particular bugbear of mine but you have definitely changed my mind. What I didn't like about the shield was how it was just a frame, but that great glossy effect you filled it in with is amazing and really does work nicely with the blues.

Plus, having seen it turned to chaos I am starting to get a liking for the model too, well I love yours at least; the torso is looking great and as I said before the legs, faceplate and banner were brilliantly done. Can't wait to see it all finished - I don't think I'll ever get one of my own but my indifference to the FW sculpt has definitely been overcome by your great work.

As a quick side note, I like the Terminator with Zufor's head too.

Archived