Finally getting to play again... well almost

ValourousHeart

A total of 2 turns in the last 3 weeks! Ok so that doesn’t sound like much. But it has been since before 6th ed came out that I have had the chance to play. So I’ll take what I can get.msn-wink.gif

I do have a few questions about how to get my army back into action, as a lot has changed since last I played. Any help I could get from the community would be much appreciated.

So first up reserves questions.

1. How does the RWAS combat squad rule affect the number of units that can be held in reserves?
  2. At what point does the 1 troop choice become 3-4 units?
  3. Can some of the RWAS be deployed at the start of the game and others left in reserves?
  4. If I want to split the 6 bikes in two, is that a tactical decision I make at the time I place the unit on the table or do I have to tell my opponent when I place them in reserves?
  5. Is it 1 reserve / outflank roll for the entire RWAS or is it 2-3 rolls? Does Combat squad affect that?
  6. If I have Sammie, RWCS and a Techmarine all poised to come out of reserves together, is that a singe roll or 3?
  7. Does that command squad count as 1 unit in reserves (only takes up a single HQ) or does it count a 3 units in reserves (1 unit + 2 IC)

*Edit - removed army list question. (wrong section)

Yep, I am wrong....

• A full up RWAS counts as 3 or 4 reserves units
  • Well the attack bike and Land speeder become separate units the instant they are purchased. The Bikes become separate units at the point of deployment or reserves.
  • Yes. Right off the Attack Bike and Speeder are separate units.
  • When you deploy or place in reserves
  • Roll for each unit in reserve
  • One roll.
  • 3. Belial counts as a separate unit for the 50% even if joined to a DW squad....   I think...

1. A 10m RAS combat squads to 2x 3m bikes, 1 ab, and 1 speeder.

2. During deployment, putting on board or reserves.

3. Yes. (Edit) I will double check

4. Both, when they are put in at deployment, combat squad when and tell the other person, also say your putting x unit in reserves combat squaded,. Just like you say your character joined x unit in reserves so you only roll once.

5. Once they combat squad, they are different unit for the remainer of the game.

6. Yes

7. 1 squad

Just say so if u Need more details, will type more after class

I think I need to rephrase question 1.

Here is a list that has units all over the place as far a reserves and combat squads go.

Sammie Jetbike (attached to RWCS) RESERVES
Ravenwing command squad - 5 guys.RESERVES
Dread 1 - Drop pod RESERVES
Dread 2 TABLE
RWAS 1 - 3 bikes RESERVES, attack bike RESERVES
RWAS 2 - 6 bikes (combat squad 2x3) RESERVES
RWAS 3 - 6 bikes TABLE, attack bike RESERVES, land speeder TABLE
Nephilim RESERVES
Land Speeder Squadron - 2 speeders TABLE
Whirlwind TABLE

So if that was the list I was playing how much could start in reserves?

*edit* - ANSWER (GUESS) & formating

Great, thank you.

Last question, does the units that go in the flyers and pods count?

I can see where non dedicated transports would count the unit riding toward the total.

But on the other hand if you were running an all drop pod list, you should be able to pack everyone in their DT, which means that they wouldn't count.

But I would have also figured it would have been the same answer both ways.

The reference you need is Page 124 of the rulebook....

- Half your units (rounding up) may start in reserve

- Units in Dedicated Transports are counted as a single unit for determining reserve limits

- Units that must start the game in reserve are ignored (e.g. Drop Pod)

- Independent characters are counted as a single unit for reserve limits even if they join another unit in reserve

So let's take an example of the following:

7 man Company Veterans Squad

Drop Pod Dedicated Transport

Azrael

If you choose to deploy the Veterans squad in the Drop Pod, then they do not count towards your reserve limit, as the Drop Pod MUST start the game in reserve. If you attached Azrael to the Veterans squad and deployed them both in the Drop Pod, Azrael would count as 1 unit in reserve....

So if you were running an all drop pod list with a single HQ, you could reserve everything. If you had 2 HQ choices, one of them would have to start the game on the table as HQ options can't normally take Dedicated Transports....

Hope that makes sense

I'm unable to check my rulebook now but I don't think that's 100% correct...

"Units in Dedicated Transports are counted as a single unit for determining reserve limits" I don't remember reading this, but the reserves rules are not well laid out so I may have missed it. If true, it's another good reason for Deathwing forces to take land raiders as heavy support rather than dedicated transports.

"Independent characters are counted as a single unit for reserve limits even if they join another unit in reserve" - Correct as far as it goes, but I'm confident that any unit(s) embarked in a transport that must start the game in reserve are ignored for this calculation. In your example of Azrael and the company veterans waiting in a drop pod, they together count as zero units in reserve when calculating how many units must be deployed on the table. I think.

In answer to your first point:

I'm unable to check my rulebook now but I don't think that's 100% correct...

"Units in Dedicated Transports are counted as a single unit for determining reserve limits" I don't remember reading this....

From P124 of the BRB

Units that must start the game in reserve are ignored for the purposes of working out how many other units may do so. A unit and its Dedicated Transport are counted as a single unit for these purposes.

And in answer to your second:

"Independent characters are counted as a single unit for reserve limits even if they join another unit in reserve" - Correct as far as it goes, but I'm confident that any unit(s) embarked in a transport that must start the game in reserve are ignored for this calculation. In your example of Azrael and the company veterans waiting in a drop pod, they together count as zero units in reserve when calculating how many units must be deployed on the table. I think.

Also from P124

Independent Characters are also counted as a single unit regardless of whether they have joined another unit or not.

smile.png

The Truth

That settles it then, my memory is deficient.

[edit] On checking the rulebook FAQ (v1.5) I found this, which may be the source of my confusion:

Q: Do units that are transported in a vehicle that MUST start in reserve count towards the number of units that can be placed in Reserves? For example, must I count the units in a Drop Pod or Valkyrie towards the 50% of units I can place in Reserves? (p124)

A: No

Archived