Ravenor omnibus Discussion (spoilders!)

Tiger9gamer

so, I just wanted to make a topic about this buuuuut.... does it seem Ravenor Rouge is overly Dark compared to the other ones? i mean i'm not a quarter of the way through and there had already been 20 murders by everyone...!

I can't recall ever reading Ravenor Rouge.  Ravenor ROGUE, certainly, but never Ravenor Rouge.

• 3 weeks later...
Never noticed a change of tone. The first two books aren't all fluffy bunnies and sunshine either. But obviously the story is building to a crescendo and all the stakes and actions just keep getting higher. Mr Abnett almost always leaves lots of bodies on the floor in the 3rd act in any case.

I don't think it was overly dark so much as the first two books built up a type of series suspense and then the third book was the series climax.

For example, there is that part in the second book where a guy is torn apart by a flock of cyber-crows just for walking into the wrong cathedral.

Heh. Saying Ravenor 'and his chums' makes it sound like something out of Enid Blyton. And now I want to see an Enid Blyton 40K mashup story.

"Dick and Fanny climbed the Magical Faraway Tree carrying their picnic of currant buns and toffee. "I say Fanny", cried Dick, "look at that tree branch there. It seems to be moving". Fanny fell back at Dick's brains exploded over her as the lictor struck with blinding speed. She squealed and prepared to die before the lictor's head exploded in a shower of chitin and grey matter. Wiping the second lot of brains in 5 seconds away from her eyes, she saw Moonface on the topmost branch, with a smoking bolter still at the ready."

I think the reason it feels darker is because all the tragic stuff that has been building up comes to a head, particularly the flect-related badness.

Up to that point you can (foolishly) hold out hope, but do you hear that? That is the sound of inevitability haha

so, I just wanted to make a topic about this buuuuut.... does it seem Ravenor Rogue is overly Dark compared to the other ones? i mean i'm not a quarter of the way through and there had already been 20 murders by everyone...!

Have you finished yet?  Tell me you've made it to Pariah now?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived