Artillery strike question.

henrywalker

This isn't normal guard it's servants of decay (nurgle guard from forgeworld)

You can take an artillery strike which has a confusing rule, I was hoping you guys could help interpret it.

"The blast marker can be placed anywhere visible to the forward observer, this can be any model equipped with a vox caster and can be an enemy model or just a point on the tabletop."

It's a very badly made sentence which could mean loads of things and doesn't make much sense whatever way you read it. It seems to me that this is the best interpretation

"The blast marker can be placed anywhere visible to the forward observer, this (THE FORWARD OBSERVER) can be any model equipped with a vox caster and can be an enemy model or just a point on the tabletop." Which seems to mean pick somewhere on the table and use line of sight from that point. However it makes NO sense to use an enemy model and the forward observer.

You could interpret it as this

"The blast marker can be placed anywhere visible to the forward observer, this (THE POINT WHERE YOU ARE PLACING THE BLAST MARKER) can be any model equipped with a vox caster and can be an enemy model or just a point on the tabletop." But if I can use any point on the table top then why is the rule telling me I can also target one of my own models? It seems redundant. Also in this interpretation there is no explanation as to who or what the forward observer is, he's not mentioned anywhere in the codex.

To me it seems that the first interpretation is correct. In games I choose a point to be where my forward observer is (I generally place a suitable model to represent this) and then when the artillery strike becomes available i fire drawing a line of sight from the point i chose at the beginning.

What do you guys think?

"The blast marker can be placed anywhere visible to the forward observer,

There's a coma meaning there's a change in the ideas that the phrase is trying to express, it's refering to where the blast marker can be placed, Anywhere as long as it's visible to a forward observer

this can be any model equipped with a vox caster and can be an enemy model or just a point on the tabletop."  

This part of the phrase is refering to what constitutes a forward observer (A model with a vox caster) and where it can be placed though I agree it is poorly worded, because it's missing a 'Placed on' in "..Can be (placed on) an enemy model...",  I dont think it's that confusing since after the coma it's just clarifying the conditions to use the ability

So in order to use this you nominate a model with a vox caster as the forward observer and he calls an artillery strike on a position that he has in his sights, it can be an enemy model or a piece of scenery or anywhere on the table, I wonder if models in CC can be hit by this..

Anyway that's how I interpret the rule.

Archived