Help me finish my Imperial Guard allied detachment

UltraTacSgt

I plan on using Imperial Guard as allies to my Space Marines while slowly building my Imperial Guard to a full blown army.

My current Imperial Guard units are: 10 Troopers with 2 Melta
guns, a Chimera, and a magnetized Leman Russ (Battle tank kit) and I
need to decide on the HQ element of my IG allies to finish off the detachment.

My Space Marine lists almost always include: 2 Vindicators, 2
Tactical Squads in Rhinos, 2 Typhoon Speeders, Devastators with 2 LC/ 2 ML, A Rifleman Dreadnought, A quad-gun ADL

Units that I pepper in to taste are: Various forms of Captain/CM, PA or TDA Librarian, Assault Marines/ VV, More Dreads (Ranged and Ironclad), Scouts, Tactical Terminators, Sternguard

Strategically and playstyle wise I like my forces to be balanced and adaptable.

Important considerations for my Guard Allies are that my Space Marines do most of their fighting in the 24" range so ideally my Guardsmen would be able to work in that range band and the units need to ideally be able to fill more than one role on the battlefield. My real money budget for this installment of my Imperial Guard is in the 50ish dollar range, though I have the funds to go bigger if I am convinced a Vendetta/Valkyrie would make a huge contribution.

My current plan is to run:

10 Vets, Sgt w/ Shotgun, 3 Meltas, in a Chimera; my Leman Russ as either LRBT, Eradicator w/ HB's all around, or Exterminator with either HB's or MM/LC; and then my HQ.

If I take a CCS, I am considering a Vendetta/Valkyrie with a special weapon toting CCS in it, or maybe a CCS in another Chimera, or a CCS with a LC manning my Quad-gun.
If not the CCS, I have thought either a Lord Commissar or Primaris Psyker riding with the Veterans would be a decent way to go.

So....what advice/opinions can you guys toss my way as far as how to add an effective HQ element to my IG allies? Would it be worth my time to add combat doctrines to my Veterans? Would 2D6 Str 6 shots from a Primaris Psyker be more or less useful than 70ish points of a CCS squad?

I have little to no experience with guard so feel free to toss out whatever advice on synergy or use you think applies to my situation.

Well, seeing how our Psyker doesn't have access to Divination, his usefulness as opposed to a CCS drops quite a bit. The other powers he does have access to can be fun, sometimes useful, but you can't build an ally list on a chance of rolling these right abilities.  It is my opinion here that the orders from a CCS will be more beneficial to you than a psyker who can pop himself for abilities that are a bit random.

A CCS in another Chimera will be most useful to your vets. "Bring it Down" along with the vets and melta can be right nasty. You have to keep the CCS in range to issue orders so riding along would be best, Just keep in mind if they're in the back with a quad-gun, they can't give out orders and are wasting some of their potential.  (Though, if you do keep them in the back, take a Master of Ordnance. A spammable pie plate every turn not moving can have a huge payout if you can get a "feel" for the scatter.)

A Lord Commissar is a bit "meh" for allies. Space Marines IC's can do everything a LC does but better.

Combat Doctrines are great if you have the points. The camo cloaks are always nice because your guardsmen better be in a tank or hugging cover. I like to make my melta-Vets carry a demo-charge though, as again, a pie-plate of death really can turn the tide if you can get it thrown into the right unit.

I tend to run a CCS with Master of Ordnance and Fleet Officer, veteran squad with Harker, 3 meltas in a Chimera and a Leman Russ Demolisher with Lascannon and Multi Melta to compliment my Vindicator. I've added in a 5 man psyker squad having seen how devastating they are in other games. Comes in at 592 points.

The veterans are way (possibly too) expensive but cause big issues for opponents due to their ability to outflank and annihilate pretty much anything. Don't give them any doctrines because they're already crazy dear.

I tend to run a CCS with Master of Ordnance and Fleet Officer, veteran squad with Harker, 3 meltas in a Chimera and a Leman Russ Demolisher with Lascannon and Multi Melta to compliment my Vindicator. I've added in a 5 man psyker squad having seen how devastating they are in other games. Comes in at 592 points.

The veterans are way (possibly too) expensive but cause big issues for opponents due to their ability to outflank and annihilate pretty much anything. Don't give them any doctrines because they're already crazy dear.

I was browsing around for ideas and this works out great! How what power group do you use for pysker squad? Offensive or defensive buff? Or pure attack spells.

What is the BS on veteran squad anyways? BS 4. I am new to taking IG allies so bear with me.

Welcome to the Guard, you'll find the Guardsmen good allies for your Marines while you build them up to a force in their own right :)

If you're planning on closing with the enemy with your Marines then it does exclude some of the Guard's strengths in the big guns but this is obviously for the best rather than risk friendly fire. Vets are good, especially with their multiple specials and BS4 but their utility outside of a pure Guard army is limited as they struggle to compete with units like Marines that can close on the enemy far more effectively.

Marines are elite, so they benefit more from added numbers which Guard does very well in Infantry Platoons. They'd provide access to heavy weapon squads too which could provide thunderous non-blast support for your Marines. A CCS works well with plenty of infantry as you'd expect and is generally the better HQ. The Primaris is a nice cheap option, if you want psykers then the PBS is a good option as they allow for some useful tactics and modelling opportunities.

Regarding your Marine contingent the Vindies are a bit like the Vets, I'd rather take a couple of IG Demolishers as they're much better if you're willing to spend a few more points. Give them a hull heavy flamer and they'll be very useful indeed :)

Mechanicus - don't have the codex here but I will be using them to affect opponents LD when taking morale checks. Can't think of the actual power as I haven't used them yet but from what I've seen other players do you camp them somewhere back/mid field and cause huge annoyance. Think it's about 50 or 60 points from memory. I've seen other players camp them in a Chimera too.

Basically I first got into guard for the Leman Russ and Master of Ordnance and have started expanding from there. I've another vet squad with grenade launchers too.

Archived