Nurgle Daemons?

ChaosReigns

I posted this as an incidental aside in another thread, but I figured I might as well post it here as well. I'm looking at possibly purchasing a  daemons contingent to supplement my Chaos Marines. I like Nurgle's daemons the best in terms of aesthetic, but are they effective on the tabletop? In particular, I'm thinking:

-Great Unclean Ones
-Epidemius

-Plaguebearers
-Nurglings

-Plague Drones

I haven't been able to pick up the daemons' codex as yet, so I wouldn't know.

Thanks guys!

IMO Epidemius and Nurglings are fairly meeeh on the table. Epidemius being easy to kill thanks to having to walk around alone, aswell as the changed nurgle buff table and now no longer being a global buff. Nurglings themselves are just really weak and plague bearers are just much better. 

The rest is certainly playable. It would not be an absolute top tier list due to nurgle being somewhat slow apart from the plague drones (Which is usually a problem when you think of GUO needing ages to get into position). I´ve tried a few nurgle only lists, however it's always a hard match up if you play against a mobile army, because you are missing out on the more reliable and quick daemon units such as hounds.

Main point is however: you like the aesthetic so go for it. Nurgle is just really awesome and I think a nurgle only army would look really awesome :).

The plaguedrones are good units for nurgle lists. A durable, fast unit that brings in icons for the slow daemons of nurgle. As allies i don't see them as a good choice because you don't make use of the icon and put to many points on a unit that doesn't have a lot of damage output (nurgle spawns can play their tar pitting roll just as effective and cheaper).

GUO is a great unit but to slow to be very useful in a nurgle only list or as ally. GUO works better with Daemons as buffer, unkillable warlord and a way to take nurgle daemon princes as heavy support.

Plaguebearers are basically the best unit to take as tax troop to get the ally daemons.

If you are looking in general about nurgle daemons as allies i would suggest the nurgle soulgrinder and a daemon prince to bring a very strong FMC. Both can work nicely as allies IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

In some of the games I play with friends we experimented with some of the nurgle daemons just to be stupid. Suprisingly, they can put out a ton of wounds with a locus of contagion, which is something that I find a daemon army can lack. A grimiore and biomancy powers can certainly lend a great deal of resiliance to your forces, too.

Plague Drones are good against shooty units that you need to tie up. They move quickly, and are reasonably tough.

Plaguebearers are good in holding objectives.

Great Unclean Ones (esp. with rewards) can be nigh unkillable.

Epi and Nurglings are meh - though the latter can also be used to tie some troops down.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

7th edition allows swarms to be scoring now. All my Nurglings just shot up now since they also get Objective secured and are great tarpits. At 45 pts for 12 wounds with shrouded I have the feeling ill be running lots and lots of them to clog the hell out of the board with infiltrate, deep strike them in, hold my backfield objectives, and summon them with malefic...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been considering buying 9 plague drone and using a GUO a walking buff monster.  Also the beasts of nurgle look good for a all daemon nurgle list.  

As for allies I thinking of doing CSM crimson slaughter with a geared up MoN lord and a succorer both on bikes with a MoN spawn unit. 

So three questions!

1. Has anyone tried 9 plague drones they cost a lot of $$ and wanted some feedback before I picked up two more boxes.

2. The change to poison as you need to have a higher Str than your targets T value to get the re-roll seems like a big change.  This could mean 50% less saves that our enemies will need to take.

3. Defensive grenades is now a throwing blind blast marker and the stealth bonus is gone.  Vs. Tau this is nice but everyone else for the most part either have bad shooting or a good chance to pass the test.  Is blind going to be our new key power to get things done? 

I haven't used that many PDrones because I use them mostly just to carry my Icon for Deep Strike. They are the most mobile / resilient unit that can do that job.

Otherwise, for offense, something like Seekers are so much cheaper for the damage they can put out, even if they are not as tough.

If I need a fast moving tarpit, I'd take Nurglings.

Archived