Sororitas Flyers (Counts as)

L30n1d4s

I think with the arrival of the Stormwing Data Sheet you could use those rules to create some flyers for Sororitas armies.

Since you don't have to take an allied detachment to get them (i.e. no required SM HQ or Troop selection), there is no "points tax" to use them with a Sisters of Battle force. Also, they take no FoC slots away from the main army, so you have room for the full complement of Exorcists, Dominions, and/or Seraphim.

Stormraven could be converted to look/serve as a heavy Eclesiarchy gunship and the Stormtalons could be converted as well to be light Eclesiarchy gunships. Between their strong anti-air and accurate (TLed BS5 against most ground targets) anti-ground capabilities, they could provide some critical fire support to balance out the traditional bolter/flamer/melta triad in most Sister of Battle armies.

Fluff-wise, if you were converting the Stormraven/Stormtalon into equivalent Sororitas flyers, I think that the following configurations would be both competitive and appropriately themed:

-Stormraven with Multi-Melta, Assault Cannon, and Hurricane Bolters (Lascannon and Plasma cannon would be less fluffy) --- solid, multi-purpose loadout for all-comers list

-Stormtalons with Assault Cannon and Cyclone Missile Launcher (Sisters have plenty of Heavy Bolters already and CML is similar to Exorcist) --- also mult-purpose, multiple shots per turn to make maximum use of high accuracy

If you really wanted to go all-out on the Counts As portion, take an allied SM detachment of:

-Close combat Scouts (modeled as Combat Servitors)

-Chapter Master with Teeth of Terra, AA, and PF (modeled as an Inquisitor)

-Ironclad Dreadnought with two Heavy Flamers (modeled as a Heavy Penitent Engine).

Scouts/Combat Servitors and Chapter Master/Inquisitor ride in the Stormraven/counts as SoB Dropship, providing a late game unit for seizing objectives and a potential counter-assault force. The Ironclad/Heavy Penitent Engine also rides the Stormraven and assaults out when required.

I had been thinking somewhat along the same lines, but was considering also including a squad of Red Hunters and a chaplain or librarian to ride in the Strom Raven, and having an Inquisotor in the force as the "binding" authority. The Red Hunters would all arrive on the same turn, seemed cinematic- like they would be a reinforcement air-sropped in from a Battle Barge.

Putting stuff like ironclads in a stormraven is very poor. Consider that at best it won't get to assault until turn 3 and ask if you're getting money for points.

All you really want to transport is objective grabbing units. Cheap troops that use firepower ideally.

And my experience with little stormtalons is they don't do that well in air to air...

Kinda off-topic, but well, even with a drop pod you'd be in combat on turn 2 the earliest, though of course you'd be able to burn/shoot things on turn one. Trying to footslog a dread, on the other hand, is nothing short of suicide. I reckon the best candidate dread for SR entry is the Death Company dread, but that of course requires using BA. And why it's the best candidate is that since it has more attacks than any other dread, it can potentially do more damage in CC even with a "late entry" compared to other options.

The problem I personally I have with drop pod entries is the fragility of Dreads. Especially AV12 ones.

i like the idea of this little contingent as a strong flyer-base to jump off of. I already have a stormraven, now to just look for something gothic style for the talons....maybe some DA flyers, but they are like 50% more expensive. On that thought id prob not want to have marines staring out of teh windows so id have to opaque paint them, like some super tint. Does anyone have good advice for painting opaque glass windows?

A definite turn 2 is much better than a maybe turn 3... Going to spend half the game doing nothing that way!

The simple way is to spray paint the inside of the perpex, I did black paint for my stormtalons windows and it worked pretty well.

Took a closer look at how the Stormwing thing works. It could certainly prove useful for SoB lists that don't have an actual allied detachment. Not that I personally plan on running SoB as a primary much - not enough models for that outside of quite small games - but at least the option's there. And even for my BT lists freeing up some FoC slots is hardly a bad thing - although messing with the FOC in such a way sets some nasty precedents!

Archived