Heretic list building bit at a time.

Forté

I'll be looking more toward a Night Lords force with possible Emperors Children detachment. I'm looking to build minis as I build the list so I'd like to bounce ideas around with you knowledgeable lot.

Oh, and I'm not fussed on competitive but would like to build some cool minis with flavour within the rules.

I'm already nearly finished on a Kakophoni squad and will be going for Night Raptors and Terror Squads when they are finally released but here's what I'm thinking for my main HQ.

>Night Lords Praetor 1 (would go with Night Raptors): 235 points (ouch)

Volkite Charger, Lightning Claw (or Power Fist maybe), Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Trophies of Judgement.

>Night Lords Praetor 2 (would go with Tactical or Terror squads): 187 points (more sensible)

Combi-bolter, Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, Melts Bombs, Iron Halo, Trophies of Judgement.

>Night Lords Praetor 3: 195

Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Power Fist (or Lightning Claw), Digital lasers, Iron Halo, Trophies of Judgement

>Night Lords Praetor 4: (200)

Master Crafted Lightning Claw pair, Melts Bombs, Digital Lasers, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Trophies of Judgement.

Thoughts very much sort after please.

I'm also tempted to do a close combat Recon squad in Scout Armour using the last metal scouts with the chest eagles removed. Am I wasting my time doing that though?

Cheers again :tu:

I'd go Praetor 2, he's got it all and doesnt break the bank (too much), although for Night lords, giving him a jump pack and joining some raptors seems like a cool idea....

on the note of the recon squad, stick to assault squads, they fill your compulsory slots for troops and 20 assault marines running at you is far scarier than  half a dozen dudes in light armour.......

I would think about broad strokes first.  Figure out the things you WANT represented on the miniature.  Some things - like Digital Lasers, Master Crafting - they may not necessarily be immediately visible on the model, or at all.  And in the end, you might end up cutting them to make your list work as you start building more units.

So, he's a Praetor.  With a Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, and Trophies of Judgment.  Possibly melta bombs as well - they're cheap and useful, and just slapping them on his belt won't be a big deal.

Next big decision is jump pack or no.  Since you're planning on running a squad of Raptors, I'd make this a yes.

So, that gives us this guy:

Praetor

Artificer Armor, Paragon Blade, Iron Halo, Jump Pack, Trophies of Judgement, Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades, Meltabombs

Seems like a fairly reasonable chap.  Personally, I would stop here.  Without eternal warrior, I usually strongly caution against spending a lot of points on an HQ.  If I'm spending 200 points on a guy, I want to know he's not gonna get splattered by a single powerfist attack.  Modelling wise, you can make a cool looking guy with just this.  If you want to keep piling it on, adding a lightning claw will give you an additional attack, but the claw itself doesn't really offer you anything over the paragon blade in combat effectiveness.  If you just want an additional attack, digital lasers are cheaper.  If you want an additional attack and alternate weapon options, a power fist would do that better.  If you've got some idea for a cool pose with a ranged weapon instead, go for it, but the only one I think would really synergize with this guy is a combimelta for popping transports before he starts chopping up the people inside.  A bolter or combi-bolter or whatever is just going to be a rapid-fire weapon that he can't shoot before charging.

If I had to go with one of the four you posted, I'd choose 4.

Archived