newbie question

BrotherJim

sorry folks have one of those dumb questions that just accured to me.

had a quick look through the codex and faqs, and ran a search but got nada.

if I have a squad of 8 greyhunters + 1 wolfguard packleader can I add a further indepedant character? like say a rune preist? so 10 in total riding in a rhino...

?

if so what page(s) give details,

thanks in advance wolf brothers!

The problem with droppodding 8 grey hunters, 1 wg and a rune priest is you either have your rune priest with pa or ra and in both scenarios your rune priest has no invun. save, unless you were lucky enough to roll that power, but the turn you drop you cant cast it on himself and his unit. So without an invun. save, he will die to anything ap2 quickly, or if challenged by anyone with armor 2 

The problem with droppodding 8 grey hunters, 1 wg and a rune priest is you either have your rune priest with pa or ra and in both scenarios your rune priest has no invun. save, unless you were lucky enough to roll that power, but the turn you drop you cant cast it on himself and his unit. So without an invun. save, he will die to anything ap2 quickly, or if challenged by anyone with armor 2 

but if you have a wolfguard in the sqaud too..have him take the challenge instead :)

or drop 3 pods at once and gun down everything that is a threat to your RP. End of the day though hes a 100pt model that isnt the HUGEST loss in the world, and he can easily make his points back with lucky jaws strikes etc.

for original poster..aye tehre is no limit on how many Independent characters you can join to a squad..you jsut cant put anything in TDA into a rhino, however, you can in a drop pod. so if you were feeling particularly nuts, you could drop say 6 grey hunters, logan grimar, a wolf guard, and a rune priest in one pod. :D

DanPesci, my donkey brain completely didnt just forgot that the wg can take the challenge before the runepriest. My personal play style is I dont like to have my HQs die, they have many good stories from their long time in the pack and it would be a travesty to lose them.  Though the drop pod with logan seems quite fun

Aye no bother sir, im guessing you stick your rune priests near the back then.

The 'wolf guard can take the challenge' was more for the OP, but was more jsut saying, that if going for the tactic of dropping a rune priest in peoples faces (which with JotWW can be ace against tau for example), there are ways to keep them alive past that first turn.

For me, as long as they go down fighting a heroic death, then thats ok. No wolf should live forever msn-wink.gif

yeah mad I think i'm getting the swing of it.

I feel bad for people that don't play Space Wolves.

the plan is to run two of these squads, in rhinos, only one rune priest though. they will support each other and capture the mid-field. I will drop pod my wolf guard tdas in the enemies deployment zone and have them work as target opportunity hunters, if not, they will act as the anvil against the hammer of my grey hunters.

lone wolf and wolf lord on bike will act as disruption and opportunity hunters, supporting the grey hunters, capturing flanks...

long fangs will blow stuff up.

the main thing im curious about now is the best load out for my grey hunters and attached RP/WG... which will compliment each other the best? power weapons power fists tunder hammers?

the general idea is that I want to force my opponent between a rock and a hard place. if I cast murderous hurricane, he will have to take difficult terrain test, hopefully slowing him down some, giving my more time to rapid fire him to death. then if he charges me e will have to face counter attack, motw, power weapon, wolf guard, and rune priest and re-rolls! wolf standard :)

some basically I should arrange my squad so the greyhunters get eaten first?

I think I will post my list in the list section and we can chew it apart there... maybe not this week...

thanks again in advance!

Skyclaws and blodclaws are more those i would sacrifice first.

GH are standard but they are not only good for sacrifices.

Skyclawas are like Blodclaws .... Only efectife in a cc. So they are more predestinyed to bind your enemy in that and may die while they do their job.

With your GH you can first weaken your enemys from a distance and come into cc for supoting your SC and BC for saving them.

Wich is why you dont put him close to something thats going to kill him- target priority, tactics.

Dropping a priest in and using one of his codex given offensive powers like Murderous Hurricane or Jaws of the World Wolf gives that GH pack extra firepower, and Jaws can kindly affect several units *that are quite likely huddled next to an aegis defense lines 'safety'*.

Archived