Melta vets?

teblin

So I'm going to be running Vets in Chimeras.

Melta seems to be the most popular option, but I can't see it being very useful with its very short range. If you're within 12 inches of the enemy the Chimera let alone the squishy guardsmen are going to be in serious trouble.

Why should I take melta over plasma?

hendrik is right. Take the weapon that fills the role you want the squad to have. That being said, don't be afraid to sacrifice the unit to kill an important tank. If you smoke a Russ or Raider with them then they've more than earned their impending demise. We're guardsmen, dying is what we do.

As Hendrik said, the choice is based on your preference. If you're looking for a good suicide-squad (as that is most assuredly what they are), then melta vets in chimeras are a great and cheap option. Then again, they're also a good choice if you really want that Marine Captain dead in the quickest way possible. Personally, I mix both melta and plasma in my lists as they give me the most flexibility.

Then again, I'm a back-field kinda guy... let the artillery do what the meltas should be teehee.gif

You also neglect the important fact that Guard, including Forgeworld lists, can bring massive amounts of death from range with little trouble.  That means your squad that just got out of the Chimera may not necessarily be in charge range of an enemy at the end of your shooting phase as they were but a single unit that laid down the Emperor's wrath on that area of the board.

Indeed, a unit should fit the army so it depends what you need. My usual Veteran squad has a couple of meltas and a heavy flamer and always puts in a good show, but this works for me because they're part of a large push so are working together with other elements so they're not exposed. I use them as "trouble consultants", whenever the infantry might come up against a tough job the Veterans swoop in to give them a helping hand :)

So if you have units closing with the enemy and need a bit more AT to go with that then melta Vets will be useful. Otherwise you might want to consider other options unless you're happy with them potentially being a one-shot missile.

I run vets with three meltas and I almost always spend 30 points to upgrade their armour to Carapace, for when the Chimera finally blows I have found out that they last a little longer with them on. 

My usual Veteran squad has a couple of meltas and a heavy flamer 

A heavy flamer sound nice, I have to try it out.

Archived