Creed + Stormlord

Blicket

It definitely has potential... Heck, if it was allowed... outflank a Warlord titan! With Creed, anything's legal (aside from cavalry...)

Any plans on how to utilize that though? I'd suggest maybe... 2 blobs of 20 apiece? For when they come on... and you disembark them to hit both sides!

That would be nice but can only transport one unit I think. Blob of 40 with 4 melta guns, krak grenades, and power axes. Maybe 4 auto cannons as well since 20 models can fire from the back.

Argun and Gendo are right, it's legal but the question is really more of "is it good?". To which I have to say it doesn't matter because it sounds awesome laugh.png That aside, it depends on what you equip the squads with and expect them to do. Lumbering straight into enemy territory could be landing you in very hot water so the squads might end up protecting the Stormlord more than anything else.

What about substituting some Guardsmen with Veterans? They could deliver a punishing salvo with their special weapons and enhanced BS. This might be something that you can only do a few times so I don't think you should worry too much about getting it "right", that and it seems a bit cruel tongue.png

but what if it blows up and takes those veterans with him? will the army that is left still be viable? what if you're unlucky and the stormlord arrives late? personally i think the benefits of not outflanking your superheavy  but having it on the table on turn 1 far outweigh the outflanking benefits

I feel if you go first it would be recommended to start on the board, but if you go second it might be a detriment to have it start on the board, because the enemy will more than likely dump everything they have into the super heavy, which could really be to your detriment, if when they go kaboom and follow the same rules for apoc where the radius is much larger than normal and this can really hurt guard with low armor saves. If the blast is just the normal d6 then my argument is moot.

Feel like an idiot saying this but... I cant find the model anywhere... :'(

Ive looked on forge world and GW and cant find it. I know it looks like a baneblade with an open topped chasis but jus cant find it for sale or anything. Have I gone mad?

Fear not! In GW's 'wisdom', they have sought fit to combine the stormlord tank into the Baneblade kit.

You just have to go past some of the pics here, just about 2 clicks on the right arrow for the gallery and you should see one.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1120008a&prodId=prod2130074a

Thanks Argun that makes more sense now.

Another question: Has this always been the case for the baneblade kit? I ask because I have a baneblade still in its box on its sprues from about 4 years ago. It says nothing about a stormlord on the box (it only shows two variants) sp was the extra sprues added afterwards? Can I make a stormlord out of that or do I need a newer version of the baneblade kit?

It's only recently been changed, for reasons only known to GW. If you're looking for some tips on how to magnetize it (the stormlord & variants) I've got a little topic here on the B&C. Look for Hexblade, and within you will see my tank.

Seems like an awful lot of eggs in one basket for a 40K game, but guess it depends on how many points you're playing!

How do structure points translate into hull points? The PDF datasheet available on GW indicated three structure points and the same armour as a Demolisher. Which means, if structure points = hull points, it will die as easy as a Demolisher but for about triple the cost. Guess that's what balances out this Escalation business.

They said this a while ago, before the 6th ed. apoc book.

Take # of structure points, and multiply that by 3.

Baneblade (and anything on it's chassis) had 3 structure points= 9 hull points

Warlord titan had 9 structure points= 27 hull points

Nico! Good to see you back biggrin.png

I'm curious to know if this has been done, or if anyone's planning on doing it in the future? I don't think anyone is expecting it to be amazing and even if it is it will likely be only the once but it's something that feels very Guardy. Massive tank surging into the enemy lines firing death from might cannons and then disgorging angry Guardsmen on the enemy - what's not to like?

the problem is, will it make back it's points? a stormlord is 480 pts+40 guardsmen (200 pts minimum)+creed (85 pts) is at least 765 pts, and that's without any upgrades! that's almost half your army, outflanking (so the side they arrive on might not be the one you want!), and possibly coming in late. not to mention the fact that if the stormlord blows up the surrounding platoon will most likely be gone as well....

personally it's not a tactic i'm favouring due to a lot of uncertainties (bullocks, i know, but still) and the fact that half my army will be facing roughly twice their points untill that monster unit arrives...

You'll find that most of the Super Heavy options are not actually all that great in lower point games, yeah you get an awesome model on the table and it is scary tough but you have just sunk a HUGE amount of points into to the detrement of the rest of your army. Especially for IG, who can actually excel at lower point games, it may not be worth doing, however on the other hand, BECAUSE IG can field so many units, it might be one of the armies who actually can field a Super Heavy and still manage to field enough support units.

Stormlords are awesome..... until they blow up; then everything inside dies along with most of the stuff in the immediate vicinity. It is one of the few way to mobilise large squads of soft IG bodies, plus the vulcan mega bolter spits out a world of hurt.

It could be good to get a huge detachment of infantry forward early and then disembark them before the enemy has time to focus too much fire power on the Stormlord, continue rolling forward with the Stormlord forcing your opponent to focus fire on it, then (with luck) you might be within explosion range so that when they do take out your Super Heavy you take some of them with it.

Be very very aware though that a unit like the Stormlord is often played as a suicide unit, because of its purpose; to deliver huge amounts of infantry and deliver close firesupport, it will most likely get targeted, and will likely die. That gives your opponent 3 Victory Points.....

I don't agree with measuring something by how many points it makes back, it's too simplistic. I'm sure we've all had games where a unit earned few points for you if at all but won the game through other means! The starting questions should always be "what do I want it to do", "how does it fit into my army" and "can I do the same better/cheaper", from there you can add your own flair such as "does it look cool" tongue.png

off course just stating will it make back its points is too simplistic, but none the less it stays true. a 40 man blob and a standard stormlord will still "only" be able to demolish 2 units maximum/turn. with al raheim/creed you can do a much cheaper job to have an outflanking platoon.

My main concern is that the remainder of your army might not be able to hold the table untill the stormlord arrives...

Archived