Word Bearers( Serrated Sun)

Ironandforge

Legion Praetor:

Cataphractii, Volkite Charger, Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Burning Lore 197

Comand
Squad (5 Men):

Cataphactii, Heavy Flamer, Chain Fist, Combi-Plasma x4, Lightning Claw x4 283

Diabolist:

Tainted Weapon, Melta Bomb, Tainted armor (Artificer Armor), Plasma Pistol, Burning Lore 160

Gal Vorbak Dark Breatheren (10 Men)

Power Weapon x2, Tainted Weapon, Tainted Armor (Artificer Armor), Melta Bombs 395

Cataphractii
Terminator Squad (10 Men)

Plasma Blaster x2, Chain Fists x2, Combi-flamer x3, Combi-Meltas x3, Pair of Lightning claws x2,

Power Weapon x6 447

Cataphractii

Reaper Autocannon x2, Chain Fist x2, Pair of Lightnign Claws x 3, Combi-Flamer x2, Combi-Melta x2, Thunderhammer, Combi-Plasma 465

Contemptor
Dreadnaught Talon

Relic
Contemptor Dreadnaught

Chain Fist, Heavy Flamer, Chain Fist, Melta Gun, Havoc Launcher  235

Contemptor

Chain Fist, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Conversion Beamer 230

Talon Total 465

Legion Tactical Squad (20 Men)

Nuncio Vox, Legion Vexcilla 270

Nuncio Vox, Legion Vexcilla 270

Assault Squad (20 Men)

Melta Bombs (squad), Handflamer x2, Power Weapon x2, Power Weapon (SGT), Dark, Channeling 495

Legion Support Squad (10 Men)

Plasma Gun 325

The
Ashen Circle (10Men)

Power Axes x4, Tainted Weapon, Inferno Pistol, Melta Bombs,Phosphrex Bombs x3, Tainted
Armor (Artificer Armor) 355

Heavy Support Squad (10 Men)

Autocannon, Augery Scanner  (STG), Tainted Armor (Artificer Armor)(STG), Hardened
Armor (Squad) 325

Caestus Assult Ram

Frag Assualt Launcher, Auxillary Drive 325

Caestus Assult Ram

I sneak a tainted weapon into one of my "tactical" squads, at my local gaming group we are allowed to play 40k v 30k, I insta death'd astorath the grim.in one round of combat! It can really make a difference.

I sneak a tainted weapon into one of my "tactical" squads, at my local gaming group we are allowed to play 40k v 30k, I insta death'd astorath the grim.in one round of combat! It can really make a difference.

the only problem that i see with that, and ide love to have them in my tac squads, is that tac sergeants are not characters and cant take tainted weps.

I was not referring to the Rites of War. It's a generic rule for Word Bearers - called inspirational leadership or something (don't have the book handy right now). It says you must always take a second HQ that must be either a Centurion of a Chaplain (not a Diabolist). If you take the Word Bearer special Rite of War then you must take a Diabolist on top.

No worries... I'm glad I got it right! (not happening often :rolleyes: )

The thing is this creates a dilema in a list such as yours (and mine for that matter - I'm working on one now)

If you want to include the Diabolist you must find room for another Centurion or a Chaplain. And since you have to include him you may as well make him worthwhile. That may mean anything between 100 - 150 pts depending on gear. That's a lot. I temporarily played around with the idea of getting rid of the Praetor altogether and work with Chaplain / Diabolist combo. But that means (as it is in your case too) I had to get rid of the Command squad... :(

Now given that I am going for a much smaller force (1,750pts instead of your 5k+ :o) my descision was really tough. So I took the brave step and did not take the Diabolist at all. Or any Word Bearer specific unit for that matter. I'll post my list later today and we can discuss...

BTW huge list there...:D

I temporarily played around with the idea of getting rid of the Praetor altogether and work with Chaplain / Diabolist combo. But that means (as it is in your case too) I had to get rid of the Command squad... :(

And although it wouldn't matter here, it also means no RoW, which shows just how big the investment is to field the WB RoW (Praetor, Diabolist AND Cent/Chaplain)...

I've sense updated my list.

Word Bearers Serrated Sun. Angel's Wrath RoW

Legion Praetor:

Iron Halo, Archeotech Pistol, Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Burning Lore, Jump Pack. 225

Chaplain:

Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack, Artificer Armor, Burning Lore. 160

Diabolist:

Tainted Weapon, Melta Bomb, Tainted armor (Artificer Armor), Plasma Pistol, Burning Lore 160

Power Weapon x2, Tainted Weapon, Tainted Armor (Artificer Armor), Melta Bombs 395

Cataphractii

Reaper Autocannon x2, Chain Fist x2, Pair of Lightnign Claws x 3, Combi-Flamer x2, Combi-Melta x2, Thunderhammer, Combi-Plasma 465

Destroyer  Squad:

Jump Packs, Missile Launcher x2, Power Weapon, Artificer Armor, Phosphrex Bombs x3. 425

Nuncio Vox, Legion Vexcilla, Storm Eagle. 480

Nuncio Vox, Legion Vexcilla, Storm Eagle. 4800

Assault Squad (20 Men)

Melta Bombs (squad), Handflamer x2, Power Weapon x2, Power Weapon (SGT), Dark, Channeling 495

Assault Squad (20 Men)

The
Ashen Circle (10Men)

Power Axes x4, Tainted Weapon, Inferno Pistol, Melta Bombs,Phosphrex Bombs x3, Tainted
Armor (Artificer Armor) 355

Storm Eagle. 210

Jet Bikes( 6 Men).

Plasma Cannon x2. 270

Heavy Support Squad (10 Men)

Autocannon, Augery Scanner  (STG), Tainted Armor (Artificer Armor)(STG), Hardened
Armor (Squad) 325

Caestus Assult Ram

Ermm... I don't think you can use Angels' Wrath with this list... Angels' Wrath means everyone is on a skimmer, flyer or jump pack... Certainly no Termies or Gal Vorbak unless you give them a flyer with appropriate transport capacity...

RoW aside, what are you aiming for here? Could you give us your thoughts of how you envisage this army to work? It certainly is an Apoc size army, that's for sure... ;)

well i think i can make it work with RoW as everyone has the ability to start off table and arrive via flyer or deep strike. \

I am going for the preferred tactics of the Serrated Sun, which was tactical drop strikes.  that's why i gave every body the ability to deep strike of come in on a flyer.  Ive got the TDA covered with the Assault Ram, so they shouldn't be  a problem. from there my problem is the Gal Vorbak.  drop the jet bikes and add another storm eagle.  i really want to take orbital assault but cant with the size of my tac squads. 

I want to drop the tac squads near the objectives, then the assault squads deep strike in support.  the destroyers and praetor go hunting their opposite numbers.  the heavy support troops are centrally as they have the range to cover a large area.  the TDA are a strategic reserve to plug holes that may develop.  the Gal Vorbak go hunting enemy scoring units as do the ashen circle.  

Sorry to come back on this, but Angel's Wrath does not mention anything about Deep Dtrike. It clearly says:

"only units with the Jump Infantry, Skimmer, Jetbike types, as well as infantry units that begin the game inside transporting skimmers and flyersmaybe chosen as part of the force. This in essence means that you may not take more infantry models in your army during selection than you have Skimmer/Flyer transport capacity to carry!"

Also Terminator Armour [Crusade Era] does not have the ability to Deep Strike unless you take Orbital Assault Rite of War - which might not be a bad idea given the Serrated Sun specialty.

Having said that, there is no obligation to use a Rite of War. If you want the above list, you can go for it without the benefit of the "hit and run" for your Jump Pack units.

Personally I'm toying with the Orbital Assault list right now...

i agree,

in my case, the TDA go in the Assault Ram, it can carry all ten cause of the special rule.

all i need to do to the list is drop one of the Gal Vorbak and i've got the lift capacity for every one, i kinda want to ask FW for clarification on them, they can deep strike so they would not start on the board. or i could drop the fast attack storm eagle and use a thunder hawk.  ether way i'm happy.

I really dont like the restriction in unit size that you face with the orbital assault, i dont think that 10 man tac squads will survive very long, you would need 4 troop slots to get the equivalent of the 40 marines i have with two, also  when they get assaulted by 20 assault marines they die really fast, unless you want to go with a mostly assault army, then the deep strike your jump packs gives you takes care of the problem.

Why not starting on the table is relevant? Wrath of Angles is not about deep striking (necessarily)... ermm.gif

I really dont like the restriction in unit size that you face with the orbital assault, i dont think that 10 man tac squads will survive very long, you would need 4 troop slots to get the equivalent of the 40 marines i have with two, also when they get assaulted by 20 assault marines they die really fast, unless you want to go with a mostly assault army, then the deep strike your jump packs gives you takes care of the problem.

I think you have a point here. In the 30k battlefields squad size does matter... I did build an orbital assault list, but my main concern is indeed squad size.

Why not starting on the table is relevant? Wrath of Angles is not about deep striking (necessarily)... ermm.gif

I really dont like the restriction in unit size that you face with the orbital assault, i dont think that 10 man tac squads will survive very long, you would need 4 troop slots to get the equivalent of the 40 marines i have with two, also when they get assaulted by 20 assault marines they die really fast, unless you want to go with a mostly assault army, then the deep strike your jump packs gives you takes care of the problem.

I think you have a point here. In the 30k battlefields squad size does matter... I did build an orbital assault list, but my main concern is indeed squad size.

you see the Kharybdis assault Claw. that may fix the squad size problem.

Archived