Soul Drinkers Omnibus (SPOILERS)

how many people have read the Soul Drinkers series? I just recently finished it and enjoyed it a lot. It got bogged down in some of the fighting in the 5th book though and didn't progress the story that much. I HIGHLY enjoyed when Sarpedon and others are recounting various stories during the trial. that was cool and allowed for some short stories to be inserted. The ending kind of sucked a little though with Sarpedon and Luko went into the warp, where they were sure to die or be turned to chaos almost immediately. I think the first book with Ve'meth was the best or possibly the one with Tellos in it (the 3rd???) Thoughts? comments?

Yup, read it and enjoyed immensely. I disagree with the ending, I think it was really the only thing they could have done. The Fists executing them anyway would have been a horrible ending, and letting them go would be too out of character for the Fists. Plus there's always hope they could survive. Hard to see some of the characters who have been in it throughout the series die but it was a great ending to the series.

Luko is a great character, the typical inspiring, bloodthirsty assault marine in-front of the men, but when he's alone or with Sarpedon he shows how much he has grown to hate all the war and constant running and fighting. 

I liked Chapter War and Phalanx the best.

The ending was good I just would have rather seen them escape some other way. It just seemed kind of contrived they way they did I guess. It was a good ending though. Seeing Salk die (think it was him... The guy with the huge arm) was depressing. And the librarian who got eaten by the Nurgle Greater Demon. But he owned that thing so it was ok.

I preferred the ending of Phalanx over the rest of that specific book. I especially didn't like the part where it was supposed to be some big revelation that the Soul Drinkers aren't Imperial Fists descndants, but you have Lysander using the Soulspear, a weapon that was gene-coded to the Soul Drinkers' gene-seed. wallbash.gif

And honestly, I'd be lying if I said that I liked Phalanx at any decent definition of the word. Kind of wish the series ended with Hellforged. Enough of a cliffhanger to be tantalizing and yet a certain enough future that I could be content with it.

I also liked the series.  I didn't really like the second half in general though since it seemed really dragged out and let everyone know who the traitor was.  They should have worked it up as a mystery then at the end be like "no way".  Instead I'm sitting here the whole time going, "It's him, It's him, come on!"

As far as the ending I agree it was the only possible way they could have gotten out.  Its kind of like in Dragon Age when the older Grey Wardens go into the tunnels to die fighting rather then being overcome by their sickness.  I would imagine them (the Soul Drinkers) fighting demons until the day they were killed.

Crimson Tears was my favourite, I think.  I remember the battles in the city being quite exciting & Tallos was a worthy & dangerous opponent.

Maybe Sarpedon & Luko will meet up with Draigo in the warp & form a new version of the 3 Amigos.  Complete with singing.

IIRC there isn't ever a moment where someone not of Dorn tries to use the Soulspear and it fails to work. The whole "Soulspear was used by Dorn, keyed to his genecode" could have been a lie created by Daenyathos or his master in order to get the IF and Phalanx involved, which was the whole plan to begin with.

Also, the HH has shown that DNA coded weapons can be "hacked" for want of a better term.

It would have been nice to see the question of their origins answered though.

IIRC there isn't ever a moment where someone not of Dorn tries to use the Soulspear and it fails to work. The whole "Soulspear was used by Dorn, keyed to his genecode" could have been a lie created by Daenyathos or his master in order to get the IF and Phalanx involved, which was the whole plan to begin with.

Also, the HH has shown that DNA coded weapons can be "hacked" for want of a better term.

Yeah but no one other than Argel Tal knew how the hacking had been, suggesting it was a first time. Also, the last people who tried to hack the Soulspear blew up the better part of a forgeworld. And they still failed.

The other thing to remember is, part of the "conspiracy" was that the entire history of had been fabricated. The Imperial Fists had no records of the Soul Drinkers being formed. They didn't even have records of Dorn weilding the Soulspear. The whole catch was supposed to be, no one could verify who the Soul Drinkers were. At least until the Angels Sanguine investigated their gene-seed and discovered they were not of Imperial Fist descent.

Which was supposed to mean that the Soulspear wasn't gene-coded to Dorn, but it was gene-coded to the gene-seed of the Soul Drinkers. The problem is that Lysander, an Imperial Fist and therefore not of the same gene-seed as Sarpedon, was able to use the Soulspear. Which suggests either the Soul Drinker the Angels Sanguine found was not a Soul Drinker, the Soul Drinkers are Imperial Fists, Lysander is not an Imperial Fist, or Ben Counter made a very obvious boo boo that managed to not only get published into paperback, but the Soul Drinkers Omnibus, the Hammer and Bolter Omnibus as well as the original Hammer and Bolter issues.

IIRC there isn't ever a moment where someone not of Dorn tries to use the Soulspear and it fails to work. The whole "Soulspear was used by Dorn, keyed to his genecode" could have been a lie created by Daenyathos or his master in order to get the IF and Phalanx involved, which was the whole plan to begin with.

Yeah but no one other than Argel Tal knew how the hacking had been, suggesting it was a first time. Also, the last people who tried to hack the Soulspear blew up the better part of a forgeworld. And they still failed.

The other thing to remember is, part of the "conspiracy" was that the entire history of had been fabricated. The Imperial Fists had no records of the Soul Drinkers being formed. They didn't even have records of Dorn weilding the Soulspear. The whole catch was supposed to be, no one could verify who the Soul Drinkers were. At least until the Angels Sanguine investigated their gene-seed and discovered they were not of Imperial Fist descent.

Which was supposed to mean that the Soulspear wasn't gene-coded to Dorn, but it was gene-coded to the gene-seed of the Soul Drinkers. The problem is that Lysander, an Imperial Fist and therefore not of the same gene-seed as Sarpedon, was able to use the Soulspear. Which suggests either the Soul Drinker the Angels Sanguine found was not a Soul Drinker, the Soul Drinkers are Imperial Fists, Lysander is not an Imperial Fist, or Ben Counter made a very obvious boo boo that managed to not only get published into paperback, but the Soul Drinkers Omnibus, the Hammer and Bolter Omnibus as well as the original Hammer and Bolter issues.

OR that it's coded to Astartes, or to IF and whichever gene-seed the SD have.

Archived