White Templar Army Progress Log

moivin

So I had a plan for my centurions from the start, I was not in the mood to spend £100 for 6 models just so i could field either choice so i immediately wanted to convert a unit for use as both an Assault and a Devastator unit.

Then I came across this gem and I knew where I wanted my Centurions to go. Shoulder mounted Grav Cannons FTW!!!

Buy then I had the issue that I really still do not like the Assault Drills, I thought they would grow on me but that just isn't happening so I needed a new plan, then it hit me like....well a hammer.....HAMMERS!

So below you will see my Centurion Sergeant, There is still some filling/sculpting to do but this is basically what I wanted to achieve.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/IMG-20131214-WA0000_zps911e5696.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/IMG-20131214-WA0002_zps77342d6d.jpg

Ok so there is still some cleaning up to do, I need to fill in under the pointy arm and on the left hip.

It doesn't look like much but to bend the left knee even a little bit was an absolute mission, I had to cut and drill out behind the knee and bend it in my vice to get it to stick, the armor plates in front were easy enough and also the little ankle piston was easy.

I have added a 2nd wire from the back to the gun and Amp so far and I'm considering some more.

I also want to sculpt a grip onto the hammer to break it up a little. He is getting an Omniscope and will have the missile racks glued in place (as the assault variant I see them going off like a little cluster missile a-la Iron Man to represent the frag launchers).

My plans for the other 2 are still a little vague, I saw a conversion before for an IH chapter master made from a centurion where the chap had to completely remove the gloved hand in favor of a regular powerfist. My trouble here is that the bar stock fro the hammer handles is 4mm, which doesn't sound like much, but getting it through what is basically a slightly bigger powerfist is going to be tricky.

One Idea I had was to swap the 'fingers' on the centurion mittens for the 3 digits from an Ork Power Klaw. Maybe square them off to make them look a little more marine like and will have him gripping the hammer 2 handed. The other I think I will have holding 2 smaller hammers, the heads will probably be more like rough hewn stone like some of the ogre models or even something like this old bar mace...

http://www.southernswords.co.uk/ekmps/shops/southernswords/images/13th-century-bar-mace-2329-p.jpg

I can definitely imagine a centurion swinging 2 short ones of these through the air with great malice.

Anyway, this is my take on what has been up until now a very much hated model, my main goal (as is with all of my marine conversions) is to take the base model and seemingly change it very little but for a huge effect. Add movement and dynamism whilst still preserving what the model is and what it should do

Comments and criticisms very much welcomed and in fact encouraged!!

I love what you have done hear, the hammer idea is a great one, nothing says seige breaker like a hammer the size of a bungalow... have you considered rather than putting the whole of the hammer handle through the mit just doing the tube in between and then sculpting the binding (as you said ,) to cover the gaps. Might be easyer than re working the whole hand.

OK, did a little work on the sargeant last night and made a start on converting the next member this morning.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131217_104033_zpsfceb2011.jpg

So a Kinda rough grip moulded onto the hammer and I've filled in under the left armpit and behind the hip too, im not 100% on the grip yet, I may pull it off and try again, just seems a bit too chunky to me, I may try making some thin strips of GS and wrapping it around, the final effect being wither leather or purity seals wrapped around the handle.

Here's the 2nd member.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131217_104056_zps13ede277.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131217_104141_zps097506e2.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131217_104300_zpsff88d0f1.jpg

So I didn't actually have to modify the legs at all to get this pose, the walking legs work perfectly by just tilting the front foot slightly, looks like hes coming down on an opponent like a furious office block!

Behind the right shoulder is a bit of a mess so that needs some serious sculpting and i may even run distraction with cables and extra armor to detract from my inevitable shoddy greenstuffing.

The last picture shows the hammer how I'm hoping its going to sit, I am going to try and work with the mittens first although what I think I might do is cut them off completely and scratch build something to look like these, nice square pincers.

Anyway, day off tomorrow from modelling, more updates Thursday hopefully.

I love what you have done hear, the hammer idea is a great one, nothing says seige breaker like a hammer the size of a bungalow... have you considered rather than putting the whole of the hammer handle through the mit just doing the tube in between and then sculpting the binding (as you said ,) to cover the gaps. Might be easyer than re working the whole hand.

Thanks for the praise BTW, very ungracious of me to put it in my next post, I do apologise!

I agree with your idea  for the handle however the rod I'm using is so thick it will look odd on either side of the fist, for more stability I'm going to try coring/filing out the hands first to accommodate the handle as best I can before then sculpting around the hands to hide the hacking. I would like to keep as much of the original model intact as possible as my scratch building skills aren't great.

Thanks Again

Ok small update today, had an hour or so this mornnig to do a little shaping and sculpting on the 2nd member.

The sculpting is quite rough but i will sand it down and possibly re-do some of it if it doesn't come up right.

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/12aee246-7859-4165-9f02-f4f9d84ef43b_zps1bae58bc.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/b5ed7c3f-71b6-45b4-8c1b-e47d0bd249cf_zpsdd0a0a7a.jpg

I'm not 100% happy with the GS along the handle, ill either pull it off and try something else or I may go down the route of sticking some blobs on for stylized purity seals running down the handle. Any Input here would be greatly appreciated.

Getting the handle through the mitts wasn't actually too difficult, as you can see I had to trim the tips from the left hand and then sculpt new ones but it was quite an easy thing to replace.

The thumbs are also a sore point for me, the way the fist is a thumb really wouldn't be able to articulate around a handle that thick (my own fault really, could have found some thinner bar stock) so having them running along the handle seemed the best option really.

I will almost certainly be sticking some extra armor plating over the shoulders on this guy, I may butcher the leg armor to make some extra plating there, I only really like it on the Sgt anyway, may leave it off the other 2.

Anyway, Ill be taking a break over Christmas but there will certainly be updates again in the new year!

Also I have plans to turn this into an army wide progress log once my centurions are done...

@WarriorFish 

They are going to all have fixed Grav Cannons, To my mind that is why you take Dev centurions, I would much rather pay less points for a Lascannon-ed up predator than for 3 devastators. I am however trying to figure out how/where to magnetize the secondary weapons for when I play them as assault centurions, I was thinking a twin barelled melta to bolt on next to the grav cannon? or something on the backs of the fists as they should sit normally

Or...OR!!!! Servo arms....

@Deathspecter

Ta Very much :-) hopefully they will look better painted

great work with the second guy, your right having the tube that big either side of the 'mits' woudn't of worked.

just a hint on the green stuff side of things that might make things easier when doing armour and other things with 'hard lines'

try kneedites brown stuff, its great for more angular stuff as it isn't quite as springy as green stuff it, it stays where you put it.

miliput is also good for this although slightly more messy.

exprerement and see what works for you.

my personal recommendation as a combined mix of green stuff and miliput 50 50. makes for a very versatile medium, not to mention means your expensive s goes further.

Thanks man I'll bear that in mind, just need to find some milliputt now :-P

I  think  some of  it is down to tools and inexperience.  this really is my first serious sculpting project.  all I've got right now is the gw sculpting tool and a pin so I'm doing my best with what I have.  got a small update today,  had some tinker time when I got home last night

OK, mini update before Christmas times!

Did a little more sculpting on Mr 2 and did some extra filling on the sarge. Completely re-did the handle on the 2nd hammer guy but I'm still not happy with it. I would love to sculpt grips where he is actually holding the thing but I have no idea how to make that look natural.#

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131219_225154_zpsd707f314.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131219_225226_zpsb29db5bc.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131220_085305_zps43185c9d.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131220_085235_zpse716ded8.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131219_225058_zps8fcb1d2a.jpg

Apologies for the semi-sketchy nature of some of these pictures, hopefully you get the idea of what I've been aiming at.

So the SGT has had the gun mount fixed, I initially wanted it to look like it can swivel but to make a curved, swiveling mount was going to be an ache of the balls so I settled for a solid mount, going to do the same on Mr Le 2.

Mr Le 2 has now got a head and I think quite an elegant solution to his Melta problems, the little servo arm is magnetized so I can leave it off when running him as a Devastator, I have another few arms kicking about so Ill likely do something very similar for the Sgt and the 3rd member. Oh and also note the extra armor around the shoulders to hid my ugly grenstuffing....

The grav cannon in the 2nd guy will be getting some wires drilled in soon as well as plenty of battle damage (for both of them). 

If anyone has some good ideas about the hammer handle I'm all ears, I'm nearly tempted to leave it plain at this point

Also I'm undecided about the 3rd member, I really want to have another hammer but its the model with the VERY static legs. Now do i spend 3 days crying because I cant get the knees to bend how I want to make him have some movement, or do I go completely different, have a hammer slung over his back and have a hand held grav gun?

Or I was thinking single handed Hammer/Mace with a great big aggressive looking shield in the other with the grav amp incorporated into the face of it?

Anyway, thanks for looking, more updates in the new year. Have a Great Christmas brothers!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Teeny tiny update today

Had, again, about an hour to fiddle with my centurions before work this morning, I've completely re-done the handle on the 2nd squad member again, made a much thinner sheet of GS and scored it with a knife to make the diamond pattern, it needs a little sanding once it has set but i'm a great deal happier with it. I've also done some filling around the shoulder gun and fleshed out the magnetized melta arm...thing.

Also bottom picture is something I've tried out with the spare assault drills i'm not using. I haven't yet decided if i like them on there or not.....

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131230_111550_zpsbe584af9.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131230_111606_zpsdde49039.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131230_111655_zps07a03157.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20131230_111705_zpsca9b9d69.jpg

So the dreadnought is meant to be a new ironclad with double heavy flamers. they are a pretty good fit but they will need some fleshing out, especially the right arm.

I think I'm pretty much done with the 2nd member now, may do a little more filling but I am happy with the handle and the weapons, time to start on the 3rd and final member now!

Also in my pipeline I have a Land Speeder storm, which I will be converting the crew to be able to both ride in the thing and sit on bases, and also a box of new vanguard veterans which will be magentized up to the eyeballs!!

Anyway, that's all for today, comments criticisms are as always very much welcome.

Isn't that how Terminators and Cent's should have been posed from the onset as default ?  Running forward swinging a massive hammer at the enemy clasped in their power fists, guns'a'blazing?  Ok ok, so big metal suits really don't do so in real life, but hey, those poses are great - real inspiration for people like me who don't see much into the Cent's suits after so long with them not existing in the game :)

Thanks for the praise guys, I'll have some time Thursday morning to make a start on my last squad member so you may be treated to another little update before the end of the week!

I would however like to ask for a vote with regards to armament for the final guy. I am torn between :

1. Hammer/Bar Mace + Shield
  2. Big Fat Cleaver Sword + Shield
  3. 2 Smaller Hammers
  4. Twin Handed Hammer +/- Small Buckler Shield
  5. Centurion sized lightning claws......

That last one came to me in a dream and I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since......

Have a great time seeing in the new year tonight brothers!

Do you think a shield would look silly? I'm almost certainly going to Re position the legs now, I can't be doing with an absolutely stationary model, going for either a similar pose to the sergeant with a foot up on some debris with the guy coming over it to hammer someone or a crouched side on pose taking a hit on one side whilst rounding the hammer in the other, not sure yet.

thanks for the input :-)

if I went for claws he would have to be positioned much like one of the new space hulk models where he is scooping up a lump of the floor to lob at an opponent.

anyway, I'll have a good go on Thursday morning :-)

Ok, Heres the start on Mr the 3rd!

Re positioned the legs for a more running pose again, these were the completely static legs so there was a bit to do but I think I've cracked the technique now.

What I've been doing to bend the knee is to make a 'v' shaped cut behind the knee to create the angle and then drill 4-5 small holes down into the knee to make a cavity, then by pressing the joint together in a modelling vice with some glue in there you can fix the leg in to place pretty easily without ruining the front of the model. You will have the leg plates covering up any mistakes anyway but its nice to do a clean job!

The left leg is still stock, the only thing I altered there was to bend the front 'toe' on the foot to be able to lean him forwards, that also meant altering the bottom of the leg armor to fit which i'm not really happy with but I'll down-play it with painting to make it less obvious. the right leg has been cut and moved at the hip and the knee bent to make it look as though hes bringing the leg through in a run.

The little buckler is an old rhino/chimera/leman russ hatch which I've carved up to make it look battered from years of service, it will be fleshed out behind with some kind of strap/bar holding it in place. The left arm has been re-positioned a little, the trouble I have had with the arms with these conversions is the funny collar that fits around the back of the head as it attaches directly to the arms in their regular positions. if you move them about at all it wont fit and it screws up the fit around the neck of the model and on the other side, absolute ballache!

so instead I managed to make a pretty clean round cut around the wrist/elbow joint (there's no real forearm with a powermitten) and then used that joint to bend the fist closer to the body, otherwise it would have been extended much further from the body.

It looks like he is just falling over at the minute but i will be making him a short Thor-esque hammer for the right hand, which he will be bringing down vertically not in a swing. This should be an entertaining thing to do, considering the collar issues, but I'll make it work. 

The Grav Cannon should still end up on either of the shoulder pads but I'm tempted to work something a little different into this guy, as he has a free hand and a shorter hammer a gun on a shoulder strap with wires connecting into his back pack could look badass....

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20140102_101948_zpsd61a44a4.jpg

http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac106/dean_mervin/20140102_101958_zps5d22ff42.jpg

There is a pin running straight through the left foot joint right into the base to give him a bit more strength however I think i need to either spin him on the spot a little or shift the foot a bit further back on the base, he's really hanging off the front of it now I look at him.

Should be able to slot in some updates next week but probably nothing over the weekend unfortunately.

As per usual C&C is recommended by the FDA and NHS so please keep it up ;-)

You can be guaranteed if someone looks at something and says it cant be done I'll come striding through, chest puffed out ready to defy them......secretly sweating like a pig in case I balls it up!

All I can think about at work is getting that last hammer made, this guy needs realizing in 3D, he's been stuck in my head all last week!!!

Must.....make.....phonecallsss.....:evil:

He does indeed look like he's ready to topple over leaning very heavily into the shield block... but the dynamic you put in with the hammer could change it all for you very nicely.

Great find for the shield, I would say that the shield looks a little 'thick' due to its' high perch off the back of the gauntlet, might be an idea to bring it closer to the back of the gauntlet if there's not too much in the way.  This would then alter the feel of the size of it, maybe adding a small shield handle boss to give it a buckler feel.  Otherwise a slightly larger diameter could be better given the model size.  If it was Chaos, I'd have added a spike to the handle boss (often used on smaller shields for punching!).

It is certainly a great start to your shielded model, and I can't wait to see the next stage !

I thought the same about the thickness, I could break it off and file a curve in the rim to make it a little more flush to the back of the hand. I played with some other bits and pieces in my bits box to make a larger shield but nothing I had kicking about in my box had a good fit.

deffo gonna have a handle, was always going to be a buckler kinda deal, I think he does look like he's going to fall over more but the hammer arm should change that.

thanks for the input guys, I'm really pleased with how they are coming along, glad I'm going in the right direction :-)

Archived