1500 Points Dark Angels Vs Tau Battle Report

bluepillredpill

So what follows is a battle report from what would turn out to be my first victory against my friends Tau.

Deployment- Dawn of War

Mission - Big Gun's Never Tire 

Objectives - 4 ( 2 apiece)

The Armies

Dark Angels

Librarian on a bike with PFG, rolled for misfortune on the divination table

3 man Ravenwing Command squad with banner of devastation

Venerable Dreadnaught twin linked heavy flamer and power fist with flamer in drop pod

10 Man tactical squad, flamer in Landraider

10 Man tactical squad, flamer in Landraider

10 Man tactical squad, Heavy Bolter

Land Raider Crusader with Multi Melta

Land Raider Crusader with Multi Melta

Whirlwind

Tau

not going to even try to remember all the weapons they had

Cadre Fireblade

2 riptides

4 man stealth team (started in reserve)

3 fire warrior teams (can’t recall how many in a squad) (1 started in reserve)

Piranha squad of 3

Hammerhead with rail rifle and Longstrike

Skyray

I won the roll and decided to deploy 1st, as the buildings were at the same end of the table I
opted to take the taller more secure building with an objective at the back of it where the whirlwind would be parked and the non Landradier tactical squad would hold up in.

The 2 land raiders deployed in a spot of ground where they could huddle up with the bikes hidden behind them

TURN 1

Dark Angels

Landraiders move up, bikes remain behind them fires of multiple shots at the fire warrior team in the middle of their deployment zone in and around a piece of cover taking out 6 of

them

Tactical squad consolidate their holding on the building but remaining in control of the objective
(re-roll 1s to hit) they then fire of what shots that they can at the tau in the opposite building taking out a couple of them. The squad holds strong

Whirlwind scatters away from target and misses altogether

Drop Pod comes down almost on target in front of the building and the dreadnought lets loose with two flamers taking out another 4 of them. Drop Pod fires of at the squad that had previously been shot upon taking another 1 down. Squad breaks and runs just to the edge of the board

Tau

Fire Warriors regroup thanks to bonding knifes

Piranhas move round from the side of the tau occupied building and take a 3 shots at the dreadnought and thankfully do one glancing hit on it

Sky fire fires of two markers lights and hits the unit in ruins, tau warriors fire back in retaliation (becoming a bit block wars here) couple go down in the resulting fire.

1st riptide let loose at one of the landraiders damages but 4++ save to the rescue
2nd riptide follows suit and fails to hit

Both riptides re-position themselves in following assault phase

Hammerhead/longstrike then attempts a railgun shot and rolls a 1 which turns out was the precedent for him for the rest of the night

End Turn

Dark Angels 4 (objective & current line breaker)

Tau 3(objective)

Phew managed to survive some big gun hits thanks to the dice rolls on both sides of the table

TURN 2

Dark Angels

Librarian casts misfortune on one of the riptides

Land raiders continue to press forward and unleash a barrage of attacks against the riptides taking a few wounds with a few forced re-rolls on saves

Dreadnought flames the same unit as last time in preparation for some close combat assault another 1 down

Assault goes to plan and a few more taken down, tau decide to flee due to weapons being useless and are wiped in the resulting fallback (Warlord Kill to Dark Angel)

Whirlwind targets the regrouped tau at back of the board and takes another 2 out these guys
subsequently break and flee off the board (1st blood to Dark Angels).

Tau

Stealth suits come in from reserve whilst the Fire Warriors hold back

With no troops left on the board at present the sky rays moves up on top of the building to claim the objective just lost.  Given the landraiders have moved apart the skyfire releases 2 marker lights at one of the Landraider and fires all 6 seeker missiles at it doing 1 glancing damage.

One of the riptides turns round to avenge the fallen tau and takes out the dreadnaught (no lose as job has been delivered by it and with no troops the flamers no longer have a purpose)

The other riptides charges and scatters away from the targeted Landraider missing altogether

Hammer head hits the Landraider this time but fails to even glance.

Piranhas move up to the side of the other Landraider and pops a glancing hit

Stealth suit come from reserve in at the side of my occupied building and blows up the whirlwind but not in range to contest the objective.

End Turn

Dark Angels 5 (objective,First Blood & Warlord)

Tau 5(objective, Heavy Kill & Line Breaker)

A successful round for me taking out Warlord and 1st blood, losing the dreadie was no big lose as distraction and flamers did the trick for 2 turns

TURN 3

Dark Angels

Landraiders reposition themselves slightly to bring their guns to bear opening a volley of shots against two separate riptides

One closet to the landraiders goes down thanks once again to misfortunate being cast upon it.

Melta guns thanks to POTMS let of a shot at the hammer head managing to deal 1 penetrating damage leaving it immobilised.

The Tactical squad emerge from the building firing upon the stealth suits before engaging in close combat  causing them to flee back up the board, they fail to sweep them up and consilldate back round the corner of the building slightly.

Tau

No sign of those fire Warriors yet

Stealth suits regroup and move in the building that my tactical squad had just vacated

Remaining Riptide nova charges large blast template and another scatter (tau cannot hit anything with these big hits in this game)

Piranhas detach 6 gun drones then opens up fire again against the same Landraider no damage this turn thanks to an invul save.

End Turn

Dark Angels 2 (First Blood & Warlord)

Tau 5(objective, Heavy Kill & Line Breaker)

I fall behind as the Tau stealth suit run interference down in my corner and am now concerned about the raiders getting popped open by the piranhas 

TURN 4

Dark Angels

Time to turn this round

My two tactical squads decide it’s time to show some facesquad closest to the unclaimed objective in the bottom left make a break across the battlefield as far as they can in the turn.

The second tactical squad opens fire against the drones (forgetting I have krak grenades for the piranhas) putting them down by a few (good saving roll for the drones)

Third tactical squad shoots then assaults the stealth suits taken two down and remains locked in combat

The command squad have spent the entire time supporting the raiders with the banner carry on in that role boosting between the two raiders across the phases.

One of the Landraiders move into tau deployment to linebreak and opens fire against the riptide dropping a wound whilst the melta takes one of the hammerhead

Second Landraider fires at the riptide whist the melta fails to damage the Hammerhead.

Tau

Very quick turn

Fire Warriors arrive and claim the objective in the top right

Riptide novas and just misses my raider

The piranhas strip a hull point and destroy one of the hurricane bolters

Drones open fire against the tac squad but all survive

Hammerhead finally hits and takes a point of the other Landraider

The final stealth suit somehow manages to survive seven wounds and remains locked in combat

Dark Angels 3 (First Blood Linebreaker & Warlord)

Tau 8(2*objective, Heavy Kill & Line Breaker)

Possible last turn coming up and need to get some objectives under the belt.

TURN 5

Dark Angels

Final Push

Tactical squad moves 6” towards the objective now within 6” of the objective only mange to run 2” so just outwith the objective grabbing range.....noooooo!!!!

Tactical squad finally manages to take the final stealth suit down  and reclaims the objective

The other tactical squad wipes out the remaining drones (still not remember the grenades)

Riptide survives a hoard of bullets from one of the landraiders whilst the hammerhead goes down to the other Landraider (Heavy kill to Dark Angels)

Librarian breaks off and moves to the back of the board to ensure a lucky warlord kill doesn't occur

TAU

Fire Warriors stay quiet holding the objective

Riptide assaults the Landraider and smashes down on it..........double 1 for the damage...thank the stars

Piranhas do very little against the other raider

End Turn

Dark Angels 7 (Objective, First Blood Linebreaker & Warlord, Heavy Kill)

Tau 7(2*objective, Heavy Kill)

We come to the end of the game but wait the Unforgiven are not willing to settle for a stalemate and the battle continues

TURN 6

The raider who survived a riptide assault opens fire and takes it down.

The tactical marines make it to the objective...finally!

The other Landraider takes down one of the piranhas whilst the other tactical squad in the open destroys another and immobilises the 3

Tau at this point see that they cannot respond and the game naturally comes to an end

Final Result

Dark Angels 10 (2*Objective,First Blood Linebreaker & Warlord, Heavy Kill)

Tau 7(2*objective, Heavy Kill)

Thanks to a lot of misfiring Tau my Landraiders survive to the end of the game, first time I’ve used the raider/ dakka banner combo but can see it being used again in the future.

Misfortune is very good against Riptides when coupled with mass fire

Overall very enjoyable game and one of the few games Deathwing have not been called upon 

Archived