Gaunt's Ghosts

Jesus people. They were like $18 when I get them, and the last omnibus I bought maybe half a year. Do none none of your bookstores have a sci-fi section?

Seriously, Kol. Close the spoiler, or get rid of it.

I have lots of bookstores but they dont have the gaunts omnibuses or the eisenhorn one. they used to have the eisenhorn omnibus and the 3rd gaunts one but they have narrowed down their 40k fiction :/ they have most of the space marine omnibuses though

Ahhh, new page, no more screwy layout.

That is too bad Deathstrike. Seriously none of them do, not even the bigger chains? I have three stores I go to in town. The one with the biggest collection is Yesterday's Books, a used bookstore. The big chain Barnes & Noble has most of a shelf for it, about two thirds the size of the Star Wars one right next to it. Bonanza has nothing, but makes up for it by being the best damn bookstore ever, from the eighty-something year old woman who once asked me to explain Magic the Gathering to her so that she could talk about it more readily with the kids who buy it to the guy who looks like Stan Lee from thirty years ago to the awesome events they do to bring attention to local authors and artists.

I kick myself for not buying the omnibuses(omnibii?) at Barnes and Noble when I had the chance. I just took it for granted that they would always be there. In the last two weeks I have gone to every B&N in a 30 mile radius, and none of them have any Ghosts stuff left :( Surprsingly there are a few Ravenors scattered about, but no Eisenhorns.

Dear god, why are all the Dan Abnett ombinuses gone!?

Ahhh, new page, no more screwy layout.

That is too bad Deathstrike. Seriously none of them do, not even the bigger chains? I have three stores I go to in town. The one with the biggest collection is Yesterday's Books, a used bookstore. The big chain Barnes & Noble has most of a shelf for it, about two thirds the size of the Star Wars one right next to it. Bonanza has nothing, but makes up for it by being the best damn bookstore ever, from the eighty-something year old woman who once asked me to explain Magic the Gathering to her so that she could talk about it more readily with the kids who buy it to the guy who looks like Stan Lee from thirty years ago to the awesome events they do to bring attention to local authors and artists.

my local B&N doesnt carry them. they used t have a full shelf but just recently downsized to about your size, getting rid of most abnett books (golly gee?!) and getting rid of almost all of the gotrex and felix omnibuses, which i was just about to start reading. they still have alot i guess like a ton of warhammer/40k books and all the HH books and stuff... just not what i wanted... they have most space marine omnibuses like Salamanders, BA, Ultramarines, and Soul Drinkers. they just dont have any GG or stuff. they have like ravenor omni and then the first GG in a "classic" paperback format. the used bookstore i go to, mr. k's, doesnt have much 40k as people all buy it but its a sick store cuz they have alot of stuff and a great trade in system.i suppose i should look around downtown and see whats down there...

Oh I didn't see a please, just the "Seriously, get rid of it you pink elephant!"

But yeah, I got rid of it and it seems to be working now. I didn't notice because when I last looked at it sometime yesterday, I was on my pc and it was formatting fine.

Frankly, I think the Ghosts novels are some of the best military science fiction written and I don't just mean 40k stuff. As others have said check out Double Eagle which is also set during the Sabbat Crusades and the Sabbat Worlds anthology by various authors if you really end up liking this corner of the 40k universe.

I kick myself for not buying the omnibuses(omnibii?) at Barnes and Noble when I had the chance. I just took it for granted that they would always be there. In the last two weeks I have gone to every B&N in a 30 mile radius, and none of them have any Ghosts stuff left sad.png Surprsingly there are a few Ravenors scattered about, but no Eisenhorns.

Dear god, why are all the Dan Abnett ombinuses gone!?

thats so true dude. this summer i was just getting into 40k fiction and they had eisenhorn. i picked up ravenor not knowing eisenhorn was first and cuz ravenor had a cooler cover :p then it was gone!

Unless Barnes and Noble has changed since I last tried this service, or this is a difference between our branches, have you guys tried requesting the books? I did, probably five or so years ago, to get some books they no longer stocked. It wasn't 40k fiction, because I wasn't yet aware of 40k I think, but that shouldn't matter. It took about three weeks before my request came in, they held it for another week, and when I came in to get the book there was no additional charges. The price was the same as was on the back above the barcode. If I recall correctly, they didn't just get a new book from the publisher to meet my demand, but shifted their own stocks around. In other words, the book I wanted was four weeks prior to me picking it up sitting on a shelf in some other Barnes & Noble, in some other city where some pen pusher had determined it would be better served going to a definite sell than remaining there for someone to wander by and pick up.

Now, the last time I went to Barnes & Noble, first/second week of the new year, mine had the Gaunt's Ghost Omnibuses. Unless that service I took advantage of a few years ago has changed, is gone, or is not available to you, you should be able to request at the very least the copy at my store and get it in a month, normal price. I would recommend looking into it before you make shake any more hands on online deals. You're more likely to get what you want, for the price you want it.

I'm going to echo what most people are saying here, the Gaunt's Ghosts series is one of the best out of Black Library. I've been following it ever since it was just some short stories in Inferno! and have picked up every book, although i'm a bit dismayed to find out that i'd never even heard of The Iron Star. I'll have to try and track down a copy of the manuscript online somewhere.

So what you're saying is, its Dan Abnett in full classic swing, meaning that I won't have a problem with it? Good to know.

Pretty much, lol. This is why a lot of Abnett stuff is so popular. It all feels so comfortable and familiar. Why I defended Battle: Los Angeles as being a decent military/alien invasion movie because it was basically every war movie and alien invasion movie you'd already seen and liked before.

Actually, I had brought up the fact that Prospero Burns is basically a 40Kized adaption of Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead the other day. Mashed up with a bunch of other stuff of course, but it's about an out of place historian thrust into close proximity with a culture he doesn't fully understand (and is coincidentally Nordic), which subsequently asks him to tell their stories since they don't have a written record of their own (because, hey, Space Wolves are a thinly veiled 10th century viking trope anyway, so might as well pulp the dead horse, lol). He starts out timid and uninitiated, having to be rescued in his first battle, but by the end of the story has grown into a warrior in his own right and fights alongside them.

Well Eaters of the Dead is loosely based on the writings of Ahmad ibn Fadlan, who was a 10 Century Arabic envoy who had dealings with Nordic vikings and Kasper Hawser's chosen name to present to the Wolves in Prospero Burns is Ahmad ibn Rustah a Persian explorer from the same time period who also had dealings with Nordic vikings. The two stories are similar because they are drawing from very similar source material - the writings of ancient explorers from more "advanced" cultures meeting the Norse and the ensuring culture shock and discoveries. Aside from that connection, I don't remember Eaters of the Dead and Prospero Burns having much similarity, but I must admit it's been a long time since i've read Eaters of the Dead (although I re-watched 13th Warrior fairly recently).

That said, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find a copy of Eaters of the Dead and/or 13th Warrior on Abnett's book/dvd shelves.

Aye, while Eaters of the Dead/13th Warrior might have been the source of inspiration, it's likely that it was put in the book to represent the same thing that Crichton's work had been representing as well.

Aye, while Eaters of the Dead/13th Warrior might have been the source of inspiration, it's likely that it was put in the book to represent the same thing that Crichton's work had been representing as well.

Maybe. But Cricton just took a historical figure and wrote a fictional story about him. Eaters of the Dead is just the story of Beowulf reimagined over a bet between Crichton and a colleague. The parallels in Prospero Burns are to ibn Fadlan's adventures in EotD, not parallel to his real life. Though Prospero Burns leaves out most of the Grendel/Wendol elements and concentrates on the "stranger in a strange land" and evolution into a warrior aspects from EotD. So it's unlikely that the inspiration came from ibn Fadlan and not Chricton since those parts of the story are entirely fabricated by Crichton.

The Caspar Hauser reference is definitely intentional. The character who gives him the name mentions it.

I likes the lizard dudes and blood pact from the sabbat crusade.

They were actually a competent military iirc, not usually chaos shenanigans were used to that makes them fall apart.

Plus all the names of everything are amazing. Phantine? Mkoll? Mkvenner? Sabbat? It all just feels like good scotch rolling down your tongue ;)

Scots...in SPHESSSSSS!!!

Lol I'm glad Dan the man can think out of the box and use other historical references other than the usual cliches we see.

Oh and their personal nurse/medic I'm sure is hot and awesome ;) oh, not to mention how cool everyone else in the unit is like the flamer dude...and the tribal dude with sunglasses...and the...and the.....

Except for Cuu. That dude is a murdering fethhead

I can't remember his name off the top of my head, but there was a Vervunhiver who used to be a lifeguard of one of the mercantile families. He had reflex augments, and was a total badass. Not sure why, but he stood out in my head as pure awesomeness.

Scots...in SPHESSSSSS!!!

Lol I'm glad Dan the man can think out of the box and use other historical references other than the usual cliches we see.

Oh and their personal nurse/medic I'm sure is hot and awesome ;) oh, not to mention how cool everyone else in the unit is like the flamer dude...and the tribal dude with sunglasses...and the...and the.....

Except for Cuu. That dude is a murdering fethhead

]The only reason I don't like Cuu is because he killed Bragg. The only reason. I miss Bragg.

Archived