How old are successor chapters?

geektom

Hey all- I hope this topic works here in the PCA forum.

I am looking to bring some variety to the tactical squads of my successor chapter (link below if you are interested) and I was thinking about getting some MK IV stuff from FW.

But then I realized that MK IV was before the Heresy, correct? I am a 40k noob, but the way I understand it, the splitting into successor chapters happened after the HH.

Would that mean that my army should only have MK VI and later equipment?

Is it possible that founding chapters (White Scars in my case) would have gifted artifacts and armor to a successor chapter? Or would Vets have moved over to the new Chapter?

I am also thinking of creating a jet bike for my commander (using the Moondrakken rules), so that is another reason why I was asking.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Hey all- I hope this topic works here in the PCA forum.

I am looking to bring some variety to the tactical squads of my successor chapter (link below if you are interested) and I was thinking about getting some MK IV stuff from FW.

But then I realized that MK IV was before the Heresy, correct? I am a 40k noob, but the way I understand it, the splitting into successor chapters happened after the HH.

Would that mean that my army should only have MK VI and later equipment?

Some prefer the "newer" marks (VI to VIII), but many covet the older ones (Mark III to Mark V). Many successors gift older marks to Marines who have a high standing within the Chapter, or to those who have shown to be the best of the best.

Is it possible that founding chapters (White Scars in my case) would have gifted artifacts and armor to a successor chapter? Or would Vets have moved over to the new Chapter?

I am also thinking of creating a jet bike for my commander (using the Moondrakken rules), so that is another reason why I was asking.

Thanks for any and all responses!

Many of the successors get some older marks of armour to celebrate their creation (for example). Others are not so concerned about them.

Regarding the Jetbike. Fluff wise, if I'm correct, only the Dark Angels have such a vehicle and only have one working example in 40k. However, that doesn't stop you using a jetbike to counts as a "regular" one smile.png I have a Chaplain riding a Cold One lizard (from the Lizard men army in Warhammer Fantasy) counts as bike, for example msn-wink.gif

In any case, your army, your fluff - if you say your Chapter has a jetbike, then it has a jetbike! happy.png

Well, first of all, depending on the age of the chapter it will most likely have acces to more or less of older armour marks. It is possible for their parent chapter to have given away a few older marks, but not a lot, especially considering suits like MK II and MK III. MK IV is far more common, though still a rarity, its still produced on some Forge Worlds.

I would recommend you use suits of armour mostly from MK V - VI - VII - VIII, with a few bits of older armour marks on officers and characters. And as far as the jetbike goes I would say: Yes, you can do that, they are extremely uncommon but the galaxy is huge and it would not be surprising if your chapters has one.

There's a myriad of reasons a young(er) chapter could have older marks of power armour: Caches found out in the vastness of the galaxy, relics taken from abandoned ship hulks or wherever else that hasn't been touched for a long time, battlefield 'loot', gifts from a parent chapter (or even any other chapter that has some - just rewards for battlefield conduct or timely rescue, etc, etc).

The point is, you can find a whole plethora of ways to rationalise a newer chapter fielding MkIV battle plate, but at the end of the day, it's your army and if you dig Maximus power armour - go for it.

My understanding was that most marks of power armour are still produced to some extent throughout the Imperium.  MK II I think was completely phased out of production if I remember correctly.  However there are ways of getting around such issues, perhaps your chapter aided an older chapter in an important mission and was gifted a set or 3 in thanks.

It's your chapter.. they might have come across a planet with old tech on it, salvaged from space hulks, gifted for good deeds assisting other chapters etc.  It might be that your chapter was given a shipment that was done under duress during a troublesome time, leaving you only able to obtain specific sets of armour that were available at that time.  There are truly any number of reasons you could think of.

Just think about the theme you want it to have and try to stick to it.  Mine has become a bit of a hash up, but it has a major theme, just lacking a little coherency with certain squads :)  FW MkIV and MkIII is nice stuff, I went for total beakie overload, but have a squad of each of those myself.

thanks! looks like I accidentally posted this question twice- sorry about that, admins!

thanks for the info on the jet bikes- I knew I would have to use the regular bike stats (or Moondrakken, in this case), but I did not realize how rare they were.

what happened to that technology?

I wanted to get a handful of older Marks to mix in my squads, for Veterans and Sgts, mainly- so sounds like that will work.

thanks! looks like I accidentally posted this question twice- sorry about that, admins!

thanks for the info on the jet bikes- I knew I would have to use the regular bike stats (or Moondrakken, in this case), but I did not realize how rare they were.

what happened to that technology?

I wanted to get a handful of older Marks to mix in my squads, for Veterans and Sgts, mainly- so sounds like that will work.

As far as I know, this Lexicanum article is accurate:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Imperial_Jetbike

Regarding the older marks for Vets etc, definitely! smile.png

awesome stuff, guys! thank you!

accidentally posted the question twice- sorry about that!

just curious- why would any chapter keep MK V armor when the fluff says that it is inferior?

According to Lexicanum the sets of MK V were extensively used during the Horus Heresy and as such is a reminder of every astartes duty and the betrayal. Therefore wearing one, even though it might be inferior, is a sign of honour. As lexicanum puts it: This power armour carries resonances of the Imperiums darkest hour and its greatest victory. Battle-brothers will offer the wearer their respect.

Archived