Magnets.

JGeils81

yes, magnets.  I'm still new, and trying to learn as much as possible about 40k and I've been looking up all the different things I'll need, supplies, paints, tools, templates etc. 

Is there a certain size magnet that you guys use for your marines? I've been looking on amazon and places like that and there are so many sizes I dont know what I should be looking for.

Do you get the thin/wafer kind and glue them on? or the ones that look like watch batteries(1.5mmx3mm style) use like a dremel and drill little holes to fit them in, like the arms and torsos and such?

How beneficial are they? are weapon/arm swaps made often when changing up your army? like should I start modeling the marines with that in mind that I may want to change them out so I don't have to buy new ones every time I want to change things up?

Do you paint the arms/magnetized pieces on the model? or separate? seems like if you did them separate that there could be some differences in shading/washing/highlighting but I dont think it would be very easy to paint them with the arms moving and such.

thanks all, just trying to have a plan of attack before I get completely invested then find out I'm screwing myself >.>

(told you I ask a lot of questions, sorry I'm trying to pace myself!)

Private message a moderator with the link to the other thread and let them know to delete...

I would go with an assortment like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Magnet-Combo-Warhammer-40K-Dark-Eldar-/161184624354?pt=Games_US&hash=item25875a2ee2

Linky will go bad after a while so some 1/4 dia. (I use 3/16ths actually) some 1/8th dia and some 1/16ths for arms.

I used a lot of 1/8th dia mags on my Dark Talon/Nephilim.  It will be your most versatile size...  (and probibly the largest drill bit you want to mess with...  the 3/16th drill tends to catch and pull through when you cut through whatever you are drilling and mess up the hole.

Edit and this probibly needed to be in "PCA Questions"

You get the thin wafer ones, and you drill a shallow hole for them to fit in. 1.5mm is way too thick for infantry models. I can't remember the specific dimensions of the ones I've been using right off the top of my head since I haven't needed more for a while but you should be able to tell, and they're definitely not any thicker than 1mm. The thin magnets will be more than sufficient for arm swaps. You'll only need bigger magnets if you're magnetizing heavier options on the larger models like tanks.

But if you definitely want to drill them in so you get a seamless fit:

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2013/9/10/536280_md-Combimelta,%20Combiweapon,%20Conversion,%20Magnet,%20Posing,%20Sergeant,%20Space%20Marines.jpg

As far as how to plan out your magnetizing, it's going to depend on how you want to use them. Are you just doing character models?

The most important thing is to make sure you're always doing the magnets at the same polarity, across all of the models. That way every arm fits on every guy.

yes, magnets. I'm still new, and trying to learn as much as possible about 40k and I've been looking up all the different things I'll need, supplies, paints, tools, templates etc.

Is there a certain size magnet that you guys use for your marines? I've been looking on amazon and places like that and there are so many sizes I dont know what I should be looking for.

Do you get the thin/wafer kind and glue them on? or the ones that look like watch batteries(1.5mmx3mm style) use like a dremel and drill little holes to fit them in, like the arms and torsos and such?

How beneficial are they? are weapon/arm swaps made often when changing up your army? like should I start modeling the marines with that in mind that I may want to change them out so I don't have to buy new ones every time I want to change things up?

Do you paint the arms/magnetized pieces on the model? or separate? seems like if you did them separate that there could be some differences in shading/washing/highlighting but I dont think it would be very easy to paint them with the arms moving and such.

thanks all, just trying to have a plan of attack before I get completely invested then find out I'm screwing myself >.>

(told you I ask a lot of questions, sorry I'm trying to pace myself!)

Welcome, and kudos for looking into magnets. A lot of beginners skip them, and for good reason. They can be tricky. But, you did the right thing by checking out the board.

This is a big topic and so much is just personal preference. I'll do my best to toss in my 2 cents.

Size: I like a variety. All of mine are shaped like hockey pucks of varying size. I can't tell you the exact size, because I usually get them as gifts or buy them at a shop. All I know is that I have super tiny ones that fit in wrists and hands, slightly larger for shoulders, and then larger again for things like vehicle weapons. If you troll through my WIP post (link in the sig) you will see some of the ones I use. I also have a post somewhere (EDIT: found it!) about magnetizing the new tactical squad.

I almost always drill in carefully with a standard hand pin vice drill, and either use green stuff or super glue to set it. Depends on the project for me. You must be VERY CAREFUL about polarity when you attach them, as it's almost impossible to remove a magnet without damaging the model. Some people mark one side of all their magnets as soon as they open them, and that's not a bad idea until you get used to it. I would also add that it's a good idea to try and standardize the polarity across your whole army, so your captain can borrow a combi-plasma from the Sternguard, for instance.

Beneficial? Well… This is hobbying… For me, I simply enjoy it as it adds complexity to the build, and I love versatility, and getting to use all the bits that come with the kit. I have a venerable dread that I can swap virtually everything on, so that I can make two completely different looks, let alone the weapon options. It's just fun. As for gaming, and money, it does make a lot of sense in both cases. Even if you intend to field them with a certain loadout, you may find that the players in your club start taking a ton of tyrannies soon, and you really need more flamers now. Or maybe Gray Knights gets updated, and now you want grav guns. I used to buy extra models so I could have other options ready to go, but then life happened to me and I don't have as much money. Now, when I put together a kit I feel like I'm getting my money's worth by using as much of it as I can. Magnets really help stretch your kits out.

For painting, that really depends on your technique. If you airbrush and use zenithal highlighting (where you shoot black first, then spray white down from above to simulate shadows) for instance, you will def want to keep that in mind and maybe attach them while painting. If you use a standard flat color, shade, highlight pattern then it shouldn't matter much. Over time, you will get much better at getting some consistency into your technique. I'd paint them separately, personally, because that allows you to take advantage of another cool aspect of magnets -- they give you access to that censored.gif chest eagle without a bolter in the way. cool.png

Hope this helps, man.

Thanks for the replies guys, answered my questions and more.  Vet Sgt I was reading your conversion thread and was enthralled...I do believe my first army will have conversions...depends on how impatient I get to play. 

I had already planned to mark all magnets for polarity and keep them the same! good looking out though :D

also to stop the drill bit from going too far in you can use tape around it as a depth gauge, just wrap a few layers just above the required depth and it will work as a stop.  I have a few tricks from building regular models, but I did a lot of armor, and am a little rusty so I'll be on here alot to renew/improve my techniques!

Thanks for the replies guys, answered my questions and more. Vet Sgt I was reading your conversion thread and was enthralled...I do believe my first army will have conversions...depends on how impatient I get to play.

I had already planned to mark all magnets for polarity and keep them the same! good looking out though biggrin.png

also to stop the drill bit from going too far in you can use tape around it as a depth gauge, just wrap a few layers just above the required depth and it will work as a stop. I have a few tricks from building regular models, but I did a lot of armor, and am a little rusty so I'll be on here alot to renew/improve my techniques!

Hey, this came up in another thread… I don't use tape on drill bits anymore. Since it's wrapped around a cylinder, and the pressure comes from the side, I noticed my tape had actually crept up higher over time after using it a bunch. That sorta defeated the purpose. My solution? A ring of colored fingernail polish in the right spot. Works a treat.

Just do it carefully and by hand (not using any kind of powered tool). I mean, unless you're some kind of behemoth who doesn't know his own strength, you shouldn't be able to drill too far. Go slow, test it for depth. You can always drill deeper if it's not.

And I'm glad you like it. I'm very lazy about finishing it, so updates are a bit fewer and further between these days. I have like a half-dozen half-completed guys lying around that have been that way for a while now, heh. Got a modified multi-melta, a re-posed heavy bolter, and a couple others in the works. And I'm re-doing all the bolters to move the barrels up higher. Because it would be too easy any other way. Beware the conversion path. Once you start down, forever will it dominate your destiny. Or something. Think I heard that in a movie once.

Ever thought about using a 3D printer to make your own stuff?  I've been looking into them(expensive for decent ones) and it looks like you could make your own stuff, and do it any way you want! just have to design it first... I have models(non 40k) that never got modified how I liked too...but I think I could really do this decently.  plus my wife hates when I play online games all the time...so whats the lesser of two evils woman!?

nail polish on the bit sounds like a good idea too, havent tried that one yet!

Just do it carefully and by hand (not using any kind of powered tool). I mean, unless you're some kind of behemoth who doesn't know his own strength, you shouldn't be able to drill too far. Go slow, test it for depth. You can always drill deeper if it's not.

And I'm glad you like it. I'm very lazy about finishing it, so updates are a bit fewer and further between these days. I have like a half-dozen half-completed guys lying around that have been that way for a while now, heh. Got a modified multi-melta, a re-posed heavy bolter, and a couple others in the works. And I'm re-doing all the bolters to move the barrels up higher. Because it would be too easy any other way. Beware the conversion path. Once you start down, forever will it dominate your destiny. Or something. Think I heard that in a movie once.

Yeah, that's what I thought too… I'm certainly no behemoth, but over time just tapping the tape ring was moving it little by little. Is it a big deal? Not at all. But it's pretty easy for me to add a little nail polish and it seems to last forever. I've also color-coded my drills so I know what I always use for bolters, plasma, etc. Takes hardly any time at all. 

Archived