What to do about the new Tyranids

oreaper84

Sorry guys. Didn't get to have the battle tonight, had to postpone it. I will get a report up as soon as the game happens. Really sucks, I was soooo looking forward to it. So if anyone else gets to play against the bugs, please report so I can live vicariously thru it until my game.

That's a shame.

Doubt I'll get to play against bugs again anytime soon... my local club only has 2 players who have them, and they never use them.

Same here, our local 'nid player pretty much hung up his claws back in 5th to pursue other armies. Given that he went from Guard and then to GK after losing streaks it has created a running joke at his expense tongue.png

I also know what it's like to have to chase games sometimes and that's always a pain in the backside so hopefully you can char some bugs soon! Some of us were hoping to live vicariously through your game msn-wink.gif

I played aginst them over the weekend but I took a CSM army.  Lvl 1 Sorc with the Burning Brand, 5 plasma chosen, 3 squads of 6 CSM (2 with flamers, one with missile launcher), forge fiend with hades cannons and then allied in Slaneesch herald with exaulted chariot and 15 daemonetts.  We were just looking at the new rules and he does not have any of the new flyers yet.  My opponent had a flying hive tyrant, a broodlord, 8 warriors, 6 harpies, 3 of the bugs on terminator bases with blast weapons, 2 of the big bugs on walker bases with big blast weapons and 2 squads of 30 gaunts.

Flamers kill gaunts by the horde as usual.  Massed bolter fire will eventually force a flying MC to ground where other weapons (plasma guns in this case) can take it out easily.  The daemons went against the warriors and harpies where they basically slugged it out locked in combat for most of the game.  If I had Sisters of Battle this would be where a blob with a couple of priests would go.

Tyrinds are still heavily weighted towards melee units.  Their bigger bugs with blast weapons are too unreliable since blast scatters to far for BS3 to correct.  However, 30 gaunts fireing 3 shots each can cut anything to pieces if you let them.  Flame them first.  The rest ... if you want to bring Repentia or a CC oriented blob, this is an army to take them against.  Synapse and Instinctive Behavior is not really something to worry about or even try to use against them.  Those units that are subject to Instinctive Behavior are easy to remove from the table anyway.  All in all, bolters, flamers, melta and Exorcist missiles are well geared for fighting Tyrinads and can give you a fun fight.  The long ranged, heavy shooting lists like Tau or even Thunderfire Cannon spam will be too one sided to be much fun.  Tyrinads got a few obvious 6th edition updates, missed out on a few obvious 6th edition needed updates and ended up being the Tyranids they have always been.

Shuffle the heavy support or priests around in Transports but maybe try to stay out of close combat. Even with power armour SoB elites are quite squishy (and lets not get started on the priests when their bodyguards get compromised) and if you are playing with kill points then some bad rolls might make them trade poorly for some cheaper nids.

Not much else I can say that hasn't already been said, however.

I'm willing to bet nids will change the whole meta. One word Mawloc. Any good list will run three of these. With most AS running blobs, will have hard time dealing with multiple tfb. Even with 3 exo's you have to remember best way to run mawlocs in on board turn 1. Doesn't matter where to place them just place out of range/Los/cover from exo's. 3 exo kill one mawloc if you lucky. Then other two will start wrecking havoc.

Next is deathleaper he is another sneaky bastard blowing up tanks and snipering.

So to counter mawlocs need to castle up with immo spam/rhinos and than your sitting ducks for spore mines. And out flanking genes.

Nids are coming at you from all directions turn 2 there's not much you can do

I'm willing to bet nids will change the whole meta. One word Mawloc. Any good list will run three of these. With most AS running blobs, will have hard time dealing with multiple tfb. Even with 3 exo's you have to remember best way to run mawlocs in on board turn 1. Doesn't matter where to place them just place out of range/Los/cover from exo's. 3 exo kill one mawloc if you lucky. Then other two will start wrecking havoc.

Next is deathleaper he is another sneaky bastard blowing up tanks and snipering.

So to counter mawlocs need to castle up with immo spam/rhinos and than your sitting ducks for spore mines. And out flanking genes.

Nids are coming at you from all directions turn 2 there's not much you can do

What about a skyshield?

Archived