Space Wolf Beliefs

Sigvard

Thanks Val and those others who answered -  Val specifically your two posts confirmed what I thought.

Also I did not mean to start some odd debate about religion at large. But the subject of mythology and the "gods" included in will always bring conflict as the actual literature on mythology is ambiguous. Some say god others say not. I think that the like of Zeus and Odin or Russ and the Emperor to use the example I brought up are somewhere in between, not yet ascended but far from regular mortal human.

I think it is right to venerate them both a Wolf of Fernis as mighty warriors and shining examples of the Astartes culture to whom you would sing your War Cry too.

Out of setting reference for everyone:  The Thirteenth Warrior, when the Ancestor quote is said just before the end of the movie.  This is what the fluff suggests is the intent behind the Space Wolves when discussing things about how they believe their lives should be lived, as well as intoning their honored ancestors to witness their deeds and to judge and honor the fallen according to the worthiness of their deeds.

The Space Wolves typically call out to their ancestors, whom the Vlka claim and consider both The Emperor and Russ amongst these ancestors, the greatest warriors of their time, as well as the witnesses for those that have fought between then and now, and from now into the future.

As far as I can tell, this facet of the Danish, Viking, and Norse faith has more to do with the outlook that a warrior carves his own destiny, and that how one meets their end is to be taken as evidence if one is worthy of joining the warriors of Valhall, or in setting, if one is worthy of going to The Emperor's side to await the final battle in WH40K.

Space Wolves are closer to the overall themes of the Dane, Viking and Norse core beliefs of their societal and faithful outlooks; there's no room for cowards when the final battle occurs, and as such, there's a vested interest in new warriors being strong in merit and personal will moreso than just strength of arm and use of bolter.

Lo, there do I see my Father.. 

Lo, there do I see my Mother 

And my Sisters and my Brothers.. 

Lo, there do I see the line 

Of my people back to the beginning.. 

Thay do bid me to take my place among them.. 

In the Halls of Valhalla, 

Where the Brave may live forever. 

Lo, there do I see my Father.. 
Lo, there do I see my Mother 
And my Sisters and my Brothers.. 
Lo, there do I see the line 
Of my people back to the beginning.. 
Thay do bid me to take my place among them.. 
In the Halls of Valhalla, 
Where the Brave may live forever. 

Yes, that one.

Was there any further discussion you feel is necessary, OP?

Archived