I have continued a thing!

Which is to say, since the arms haven't turned up for these guys yet, I'm throwing some more colour at the bits I've got.

gallery_46204_9220_274767.jpg

Painted, washed, and ready for assembly as soon as I go over the legs again.

Then it's just a case of waiting for the arms and backpacks, and then remembering to buy some shoulder pads for them at some pointsweat.gif

Can anyone guess the Chapter yet? teehee.gif

Nobody got the 10 Internet Points that were going for a correct guess so now I'm lowering it to 6 Internet Points because you needed more clues.tongue.png

Are they Iron Wardens? I can't figure out the colour lol. You are coming along Ace I like your White Hawks a fair bit!

I'm afraid not, although I do like me some Iron Wardens.

Maybe at some point down the road, once I've got a few other projects sorted out.

This was the best picture I could get today, despite it being the one bright day England will have all year.

All the others made the armour look black and silver, which made them look VERY Iron Hands-ish.

EDIT:

Also, cheers. The 'Hawks are a lot of fun to paint!

The Stonebound.

And Deathspectersgt7 wins himself 6 Internet Bonus Points!biggrin.png

The warriors of Kagara are getting themselves a squad built, although I won't be able to deck them out in chain mail because the only green stuff we've got is almost as old as me and doesn't seem to work anymore.

=-=-=-=- WARNING: Picture-heavy post incoming! -=-=-=-=

It's that time again - I have done a thing!

Or more accurately, five things:

gallery_46204_9220_537369.jpg

The Stonebound, proud sons of the Khan! Hailing from the freezing world of Kagara, resolute defenders of mankind with a long memory for vengeance and grudges, the Stonebound are stalwart, unflinching defenders of humanity, facing down threats from all sides.

Pictured here are the lucky five who will be the protagonists of the story I'm planning to submit for the Fanthology Project, if that gets off the ground.

The basic idea is that this squad is assigned to assist some guardsmen (and brother space marines) in patrolling the Glastheim Rift to repay a debt of honour to the Iron Circle, and of course will spend the bulk of the time up to their necks in trouble.

Closeups!

gallery_46204_9220_315409.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_297245.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_641133.jpg

Brother Zhaden Bonehewer, formerly of Third Company, is considered the heavy-hitter of the squad. Dour and argumentative, he is nevertheless highly honourable and loyal to his brothers.

Zhaden has spent much of his life fighting orks, and is no stranger to taking on enemies bigger and stronger than himself. He and Gan Rockhand have been in the same squad for most of their lives, and work well together on the battlefield.

gallery_46204_9220_482368.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_505776.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_986909.jpg

Brother Urist Stormbridge, formerly of Fourth Company, is a quiet, contemplative warrior with somewhat of a poetic streak. Known to be a man of few words, Urist tends to let his actions speak for him.

The only member of the squad to have ever faced Tyranids. Urist was the only survivor of his squad from that particular encounter, something that weighs on his mind even if he doesn't usually show it.

gallery_46204_9220_321266.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_571539.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_278178.jpg

Brother Gan Rockhand, formerly of Third Company, is the youngest member of the squad at eighty-one. His zeal and pride are both his best points and his most obvious weaknesses - Gan is borderline arrogant at times, and reckless, even if he means well and only wishes to distinguish himself and his Chapter.

Good friends with Zhaden Bonehewer, Gan sometimes lacks the ability to see the bigger picture in the midst of battle. However, he is quick-witted when faced with danger, and there are fewer marines more adept at using the terrain to their advantage in a melee than Gan Rockhand.

gallery_46204_9220_77111.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_844639.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_45245.jpg

Brother Gort Blackwall, Formerly of Second Company, is rather atypical of the Stonebound. Gort loves nothing more than a good meal, fine drink, and a rousing saga or two. Outgoing and quick to laugh, Gort is nevertheless a deadly warrior when the time for jokes is at an end. The oldest of the five Stonebound, at the age of three hundred and seventy.

Formerly a member of Second Company's bike squads, Gort retains his long-axe from those days, where he earned the nickname 'Gru-Zagzar' or 'Headhunter'.

gallery_46204_9220_266590.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_837372.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_621262.jpg

Sergeant Jurin Irongate, Formerly of Second Company, is the only member of the squad to have served in the Redshields before this particular assignment. A veteran of a thousand battles, Jurin is a strategic and tactical mastermind, often able to turn the momentum of entire battlefields in his favour with the simplest of actions in the least likely of places.

It's commonly believed within the Chapter that Jurin will be the next Captain of Second Company should the need arise, and that the Chapter Master has given Jurin this mission as a test of his abilities, with a squad of marines mostly unfamiliar to him and his methods.

gallery_46204_9220_745121.jpg

gallery_46204_9220_207415.jpg

And Brother Hayward DeArgamaine of the Champions of Athlum, a member of the Champions' elite marksman squads.

Hayward is the Stonebound's liason with the Iron Circle, although he generally acts as something of a bodyguard for the Imperial Guard commanders who I haven't finished naming or fleshing out yet.

gallery_46204_9220_480853.jpg

And here's Hayward in the field with the Stonebound. Kill team, ho!

Wait a second, what's that?

gallery_46204_9220_583456.jpg

Oh, it seems my nephew wants his Blood-Drinking Crazy Chaos Apothecary in these pictures.laugh.png

(Not the story though, before anyone asks)

gallery_46204_9220_666487.jpg

You'd be forgiven for thinking Khorne or Slaanesh is responsible for this madness.

You'd be wrong, though.

gallery_46204_9220_333304.jpg

No, the truth is much more terrifying.

You see, there's a Chaos God you haven't been told about.

And what does he draw his power from?

Fun.

gallery_46204_9220_959592.jpg

Yes, Funsies, the Chaos God of Fun and Joy. There's a reason that in the far future there is only war - to limit the power of Funsies.thumbsup.gif

This is a member of my nephew's Super Happy Chaos Marines, who are slavishly devoted to Funsies and his worship.

They do so, of course, by having Fun in all that they do. Usually this means their tactics are 'run forward yelling and cheering until you're close enough to cut or shoot stuff'.

They could wear darker colours or use more sensible tactics, but where's the Fun in that?msn-wink.gif

Incidentally, does anyone have a good name for a Chaos Apothecary equivalent? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

Now all of the above explanation might be true or just a lie concocted by twisted and deluded minds so corrupted by the Dark Gods that they cannot tell reality from their own weird fantasy any more. Of course, you should go with whichever explanation you think is more fun.tongue.png

Ace, the Stonebound look briliant, love the axe heads, are they from the new WFB Dwarves?

My only crit would be on Bro Gort, his torso looks a tiny bit too laid back. I get that you're probably trying to get a sense of him swinging the axe, but the way his arm is positioned it doesn't work quite as well as it does on Bro Gan.

Its a small nitpick though, otherwise a really nice kit-bash and colours look perfectly matched to those used on the SMP.thumbsup.gif

Edit: And 40k comedy skills clearly run in the family, 'Funsies' is awesomelaugh.png

Ace, the Stonebound look briliant, love the axe heads, are they from the new WFB Dwarves?

My only crit would be on Bro Gort, his torso looks a tiny bit too laid back. I get that you're probably trying to get a sense of him swinging the axe, but the way his arm is positioned it doesn't work quite as well as it does on Bro Gan.

Its a small nitpick though, otherwise a really nice kit-bash and colours look perfectly matched to those used on the SMP.thumbsup.gif

Edit: And 40k comedy skills clearly run in the family, 'Funsies' is awesomelaugh.png

Yep, they're the new dwarf axe heads. Procrastination paying off for once, since if I'd rushed to get these done the new dwarf bits wouldn't have been out!

Yeah, Gort actually wound up slightly misposed because if I tilted him much further forward his axe actually went lower than the base. sweat.gif

Should have glued the torso before the arms that time, but hey ho.

Also, your words of delight please Funsies.teehee.gif

The Funsies must have onesies!

Talk about total opposites there Ace.

What do you think is under the armour?tongue.png

Yep, my Easy-Mode-Cheat-Marines are the most basic, focused and straightforward bunch, and on the other hand my nephew's guys are all 'FUN FOR THE FUN GOD!'biggrin.png

EDIT:

Just realised you meant the Stonebound and the Super Happy Chaos Marines, not the Super Happies and the Easy-Mode-Cheat-Marines.

I cannot brain today, I have the dumb.

Ace, those all look awesome. I really enjoy seeing the Stonebound.

Cheers, Madwolf. I'm really happy with how the brown turned out - it looks slightly darker in the pictures than in real life.

Great job on the Stonebound Squad Brother Zhaden is my Favorite ( dour& arguementative ) .

Not sure I've got a favourite model, but the conversion for Sergeant Jurin's hammer is probably my favourite conversion I've ever done for anything.turned.gif

EDIT:

Also, I'm glad everyone likes the Stonebound - not sure what other details I could have added apart from weathering. (Or battle damage, but I was trying some new colours out in the first place. Maybe next time?)

Also, I'm glad everyone likes the Stonebound - not sure what other details I could have added apart from weathering. (Or battle damage, but I was trying some new colours out in the first place. Maybe next time?)

Battle damage sounds very cool. Details? A bearded head for a character/Sgt, or if you really cant bring yourself to do an uncovered head, some chainmail would be good and is quite easy to do with GS (or there are a fair number of bits with chainmail hanging off that you could chop up?)

Yeah, I think I'll need greenstuff so I can make these guys some chainmail before I consider them properly finished. sweat.gif

I mean, I did kinda make that a thing for them back when my greenstuff still worked. laugh.png

Battle damage wise, I might experiment a little on some of my upcoming 'Hawks or Easy-Mode-Cheat-Marines.

I've still got ten chainsword and pistol Cheat-Marines to finish, after all, plus another Aspiring Champion or two.

But... you don't need a drill to make chainmail. I don't follow the logic of the tiny sad face.unsure.png

Besides, it's not like I can do it right this minute since I don't have any greenstuff.sweat.gif

Anyway, moving forward. I'm off to see how many legs I've got spare and sort out what should be next on the painting mat.happy.png

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, missed a reply. First things first then;

Those Stonebound are looking top notch fella.

Many thanks!

I'll come back and do the bases on a bunch of my marines in one hit, I think, so I'm not quite done with the Stonebound just yet.

However, I have done a new thing! *cue fanfare*

It's another departure from the usual run of black or white marines today.

My white paint dried up, and rather than use all my nephew's white, I thought I'd give the Hawks an extended break and give some of my other loyalists a bit of an airing:

gallery_46204_9220_974107.jpg

I was only going to do one marine for each, but then I was like 'can't do that, it's chapter favouritism with the Stonebound'.

So... go-go-gadget combat squads!laugh.png

The White Hawks are my favourites, anyway, then the rest of my DIY's are tied.

gallery_46204_9220_551024.jpg

The halving lines are a bit rough, but then again this is a WIP thread and it's a great example of why I am banned from freehand.tongue.png

gallery_46204_9220_868238.jpg

I haven't got Nuln Oil or Seraphim Sepia, so when following Jaspcat's recipe for awesome dark red I replaced both those colours with Carrosburg Crimson. laugh.png

It's actually come out a little brighter than I was hoping for. Still, it's nothing another wash won't deal with!

Yep, so this time it's the Infinity Knights and Red Lords who are getting squads built.

I'll admit, there's some slight revision being done to the colours of both Chapters. The Red Lords now have gold shoes, and the Infinity Knights' sand-brown is, on the model, more of a sand-yellow, but I like the colour well enough.

I've got to hit the bits stores later, though, as despite having all of the legs, a shield arm and five torsos for this project, that's actually pretty much the only loyalist bits I've got that aren't reserved for my Hawks. sweat.gif

Slow progress is still progress - I have done a thing! *cue fanfare*

My extra loyalist bits aren't here yet, so I forced myself to get some work done on the Easy-Mode-Cheat-Marines.

Besides, it doesn't look like there's going to be a new Chaos Space Marine box right this minute, and even if there is I'd already done the legs, so...

Gah, enough talk, let's get some pictures up! laugh.png

gallery_46204_9220_1059307.jpg

Hmm, that mould line on the hat - could have sworn I'd trimmed it already. sweat.gif

gallery_46204_9220_980116.jpg

I might have gone slightly overboard with the weathering effects.

EDIT:

Mould lines, everywhere I look - I was so sure I'd got them all, too.

Oh well, nothing ten minutes and a decently sharp hobby knife can't fix.

gallery_46204_9220_888700.jpg

The outside leg that you can't see on the guy on the right is all brown, so I took a picture showing the bits that aren't horrible mistakes.laugh.png

And another blasted mould line.pinch.gif

gallery_46204_9220_905262.jpg

And finally a group shot!

So, five chainsword-and-pistol marines and a Champion to lead them, with power sword for extra choppiness.

This is purely to give the Easy-Mode-Cheat-Marines a bit more variety than 'guy with bolter' for our space crusade-type game. That's the basic troops covered, so up next for these guys might be something a little more out of the ordinary.turned.gif

They're a bit roughly done, I'll admit, but it's not like I can't go back and fix some details later. Its a WIP thread after all, right?

Looking good Ace. The one critique I have is to highlight all the helmets to add a little definition around the vision slits. Good job all around.

That's actually on my to-do list. I made sure to do the Champion as a bare minimum, but the rest are on the cards for some highlighting.happy.png

Looking good Ace. The one critique I have is to highlight all the helmets to add a little definition around the vision slits. Good job all around.

That's actually on my to-do list. I made sure to do the Champion as a bare minimum, but the rest are on the cards for some highlighting.happy.png

Make sure you do ;)

What is it with you and making your advice sound like a threat? laugh.png

I'm not gonna lie, I was only working on these traitors while I wait for my new loyalist bits to turn up. It's been something I keep stopping and starting over the last few days, 'cause I just can't quite focus right on them.sweat.gif

Oh, and also, many, many, many thanks for suggesting painting orange over a light brown. thumbsup.gif

That almost respectable orange on the champion's shoulders? Only took two coats instead of the usual eight or nine.woot.gif

Orange is no longer the devil, it is now a mere nuisance.laugh.png

Damn that reds nice!

May use that for my praetor, great work here and I love love love the bone effect on those chaos helms

Many thanks! biggrin.png

I unashamedly tried to copy the red you used for your Blood Angels, but I didn't have the same washes so I improvised with a few coats of Carrosburg Crimson. laugh.png

The end result is a bit too bright, but will do for now.turned.gif

The bone horns were just Bleached Bone and an Agrax Earthshade wash.

I completely forgot to do another coat of bone to bring the colour back up a bit, but I might leave the horns as they are (apart from those rascally mould lines pinch.gif ) since the dark look fits quite well. happy.png

Very nice work, Ace! Orange looks much smoother and details are crisper too, I'd say a definite improvement in a short time so kudos for that.

On the mud, not sure if anyone else has suggested this but have you tried getting an old brush, wiping off most of the paint (like when dry-brushing?) and sort of stippling it on, might be a bit less blotchy?

Have you chosen a colour for Champion's power sword? A light/bright blue would probably stand out well on the tabletop?

Archived