Renegade guardsmen allies

Excessus

Hello there!

I'm entering a tournament at easter, and I'm at a loss for what to ally with in the IG codex. The CSM force will be having 2x10 CSM with plasmas, some oblits, possibly plasmabikers or spawn, and some other stuff. What I need is a nice long-range force for about 500-700 points that will most likely never see melee (hopefully). I have cravings for Marbo since I'm playing Alpha Legion and he's the ultimate operative, and also since I don't have any vehicles in my CSM force I would like to stay away from them in the IG force as well.

So what should I take? My first thought would be ccs, platoon with some squads and heavy weapons, marbo...and that's it...

All help would be appreciated! smile.png

Hydra dom...*cough* *cough*..."For the Emperor!!!"

Well, what I'd suggest is a CCS, kitted out how you like. A platoon  (bare bones at first) and then artillery. For general-purpose, you can't beat the basilisk for it's simplicity. It's good at killing Marines, and vehicles. To maximize the hurt, take 3.

Total, that comes out to approx. 550 points. Marbo's good, but he's a one-trick pony. If he survives the turn of shooting your opponent is sure to throw at him, he's gonna rip them up in CC.

For more flamey-goodness, I'd even suggest taking a hellhound or three if you've got the points.

Then again, vendettas are a great flier, and can be taken in squadrons of 3 as well!

I'm not sure artillery fits Alpha Legion that much, and without any other vehicles on the board they'd take a lot of flak and likely get knocked out quickly.

A Platoon could net you a lot of troopers for a nice price and lots of flexibility too. You could go to town on adding squads and heavy weapon squads if you wanted, but it depends on what your Marines are up to. Maybe some big guns to support your Oblits and provide more long ranged AT? The question is how you'd like to field them, in their own squads or as part of the infantry squads?

You can run infantry squads with just a special weapon, it keeps them mobile and cheap. Flamers are great for this as you'd expect. That frees your heavy squads to concentrate fire to maximum effect, though it does make them higher target priorities. Blobbing the squads together gets you the best of both, though it can be a bit of an "eggs in one basket" thing if you're not careful.

Archived