Retro Blood Angels

The old dreadnought looks a lot like a contemptor to me.

Thing is though I don't want to pay all that for a contemptor and ruin it trynna sculpt the funny 'face' on it, I might just get a RT dread and build the base up a bit to make it taller, or sculpt one... Hmmm how much do 3D printers go for now tongue.png

A good one is still pretty pricey, but you might be able to find one at a local library or business that you can rent time on.

Just knocked up the bare headed sgt and tried a Wild Rider red and red ink, didn't like the way it turned out, think I may have to order the Coat 'd Arms paints, even though I wanted to stick to GW colours because its so easy to get them when I want them. 

Here's a nice picture of the Chaplain and Medic, gonna be fun matching thee as close as I can with new bits. 

10153797_794969657229060_730358464698831

This is the army list used in a later battle report, I think I'll work to this instead of the list posted earlier in the thread, the Lieutenant and one of the Techmarines ride the Speeder and the third Tech drives the rhino, so there is a few minis I don't have to make :tu:

10309356_794969927229033_825906552644545

Here is the battle report armyshot 

10306763_794964073896285_217451392750019

I miss the little battle maps....actually I miss the innocence of it all! also this looks like a great project! (for me it was Space Wolves that caught my eye at the time (2nd Edition, not old enough to have seen rogue trader), though I couldn't afford any at the time, so I've only ever touched one of the furry marines as a present for my brother)

There's banners! I don't see people using them as often as they did back then.

These kids nowadays have got it easy haha, we had to even make the banner poles in my day.

Oh nice Consecrators btw thumbsup.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Still having problems gettin that shade of red, so far Wild Rider Red is the nearest I can get it, but its still wrong :/

I think the reason for that is because back in the day, Blood Angels weren't red... They were orange! Well, that is probably an exaggeration but in the original paints there was a colour (& spray colour) called blood angels orange which was the main base colour. You can probably still find it from a range called coat d'arms though what it would be called today I couldn't tell you!

I'll be keeping a close eye in this project - looks great. I remember the old blood angel armies in the old WD issues. They were my first army back as a child. Sadly I sold all my old WD issues years back :-(

As an aside, the original Flesh Tearer picture has that orange-red color, and the black has a blue-ish undertone.  I have to say the darker scheme they received from their IA incarnation lends itself a lot better to the Chapter's mood. :lol:

I will never understand the fascination some people have with the older models... They look abysmal.

it all depends on how good your nostalgia tinted shades are.

Mine are very good msn-wink.gif

Thing is though I don't want to pay all that for a contemptor and ruin it trynna sculpt the funny 'face' on it, I might just get a RT dread and build the base up a bit to make it taller, or sculpt one... Hmmm how much do 3D printers go for now tongue.png

The Dreadnought is the original Contemptor "Chuck" Dreadnought (the others being Furibundus "Furi" and Deredeo "Eddy" variants) that FW based the new one on. Whilst I miss my Furi and Eddy dreads, the FW one is fantastic happy.png

It's amazing, both how much and how little has changed.

I can't put my finger on it, but I know what you mean smile.png

As an aside, the original Flesh Tearer picture has that orange-red color, and the black has a blue-ish undertone. I have to say the darker scheme they received from their IA incarnation lends itself a lot better to the Chapter's mood. laugh.png

The original Flesh Tearers colour was black with a yellow helmet stripe smile.png

As for the Blood Angel orange paint colour, I did hear that another company released a paint that was basically exactly the same as the old GW one. I'm not sure, I had heard that another company sells the same colour under a different name (the story goes that the company that made the paints for GW now makes it for that other company, but I forgot where I heard this, and to be honest not entirely sure if it's true).

In any case, I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I find it or remember more smile.png

As an aside, the original Flesh Tearer picture has that orange-red color, and the black has a blue-ish undertone. I have to say the darker scheme they received from their IA incarnation lends itself a lot better to the Chapter's mood. laugh.png

The original Flesh Tearers colour was black with a yellow helmet stripe smile.png

Touche, chaser of rainbows.

I've got no lost love over the old range of models (God how I hated the old Rhinos), but I am nostalgic for the colors and the fluff smile.png

I will never understand the fascination some people have with the older models... They look abysmal.

it all depends on how good your nostalgia tinted shades are.

Mine are very good msn-wink.gif

The Dreadnought is the original Contemptor "Chuck" Dreadnought (the others being Furibundus "Furi" and Deredeo "Eddy" variants) that FW based the new one on. Whilst I miss my Furi and Eddy dreads, the FW one is fantastic happy.png

It's amazing, both how much and how little has changed.

I can't put my finger on it, but I know what you mean smile.png

As for the Blood Angel orange paint colour, I did hear that another company released a paint that was basically exactly the same as the old GW one. I'm not sure, I had heard that another company sells the same colour under a different name (the story goes that the company that made the paints for GW now makes it for that other company, but I forgot where I heard this, and to be honest not entirely sure if it's true).

In any case, I'll keep my eye out and let you know if I find it or remember more smile.png

That would be Coat D'Arms :tu:

Razblood, thank you for putting me out of misery! laugh.png

The specific paint formerly known as Blood Angel Orange is known on the Black hat miniatures site as "149 Angel Orange".

http://www.blackhat.co.uk/online_shop/product_info.php?cPath=21_39&products_id=77&osCsid=a5b0c479f50971e85ff6d3152770b859e

Archived