If new models came out, would you rebuild your detachment?

Kilofix

Just curious, lets say they do come up with non-FW, plastic, more cost friendly models of DKoK, and Elysians (and just for giggles, let's say they also do bits for all the other regiments like Tallarn, Mordain, Vostroyan, Valhallan, etc.);

Would you rebuild or augment your detachment with such?

I keep thinking, if they do DKoK, I would really want to build a platoon or two. Then again, if they do DKoK, I think everyone will build them. So, I might as well stick with what I have, instead of having a platoon that doesn't look consistent with my existing.

Regardless, I can't wait for April, or whenever we expect the next iteration to come out.

Personally I really hope they DON'T do plastic DKoK because , as you say, then everyone and their dog will run DKoK. I like hem being more rare and after all the $$ I spent I like people oohing and ahhing at my cool/rare army.

If they DKoK in plastic is stick to my forgeworld guys because of the live and care I've it into them. And when adding to my force is try to keep to FW for consistency and spite. ;)

New of something else, I might add an allied detachment or add to the inquisitorial presence (counts as regular IG -- curse you FW and your inquisition is"come the apocalypse" allies fir DKoK!!)

Plastic Tallarn. Maybe I could resist and only get a few for fancy Veteran squads, but I'd be breaking out in a cold sweat whenever I'm in GW with the urge to by Tallarn...

I both want them and hope they never happen... for the sake of my wallet and shelf space!

With Kierdale's Shrine World being a feudal state it give me the freedom to incorporate different models as belonging to different noble houses, so long as their colour scheme ties it all together.

That's my excuse ;)

I too would love to get myself a Tallarn platoon.

If they should bless me with plastic Mordians -or at least a conversion kit- then my current platoon would be expanded or given a twin.

So, in short, I wouldn't rebuild, but rather incorporate.

One last thought, which has lurked at the back of my mind for years...

Should GW ever give us an Atillan army supplement I would have to build a full cavalry army, keeping the Mongolian theme. Build some tents for terrain, too.

I have owned every Vallhallan model back in the days. My deepest regret is that I sold them allsad.png Should they come in plastic it would be hard not to start up a couple of squads. But that would require a total rewrite of the Sviar world and brake the Cadian theme. But somehow I must make amends, and it will probably start with me buying at least one box with them.

YES!!!,  I would at least a box ,or two of each , but curse you Kier,for putting that Tallarn,concept in my head. I can't believe how pervasive it was. I'm at work and I can see a twenty man squad . The sargeant with a signature rifle converted from a Kroot, rifle to look like a old style found still in Afghanistan,and Pakistan. I have actually been trying to do a tester with a cadian body. I might even use Empire ,outrider helms wrapped to form a more turkic helm. For the officers.

Thank you, very much! LOL! No seriously thank you I needed something to get me back moving. I  want to wait to get into full production until  we know for sure what is in the new codex,and an Attilan supplament should be a must. I would definately ally it with this Tallarn,force  although  I would hope for a cleaner look.

There's going to be a lot of disappointed Guardsmen when the new codex models amount to little more than the Aquilatron...

I'm joking. Well... a little bit serious :P

I wouldn't mind GW putting our personal projects out of commission though. The whole reason we do them is because GW is lacking after all. I've still got my female Guard experiment I'm messing with on and off but even if it achieves perfection it's never going to be viable for more than a few models.

"Rebuild" as in buying stuff I already have again? No.

I've changed my mind several times while planning to do an IG army, so I picked up small pieces here and there over the last few years, before finally making up my mind about it. Now I have loads of stuff that I'm probably not gonna use anyway.

In the unlikely event they'll release something I want I might put it on my "to buy"-list, forget about it for a few months or years, panic when GW takes it out of their range and start hunting on ebay. Seems to be my usual process for acquiring miniatures these days.

Unless it's Finecast. Then I'll get nostalgic about the good old days and spend my money on something else.

Plastic Krieg would make me sad as there is no way they would match the Forgeworld ones.  If GW just releases the current Krieg models as Finecast, even at the same prices, but as store stock, then I'd be fine with it as I already have 1,460/1,310 points of Siege/Assault Krieg, respectively and am going to soon order at least another 140/215 points.  I would love to see Krieg become mainstream as the models are great, but I want my Krieg to match in scale, otherwise I would just break out my regular Guard* which is a mixed bag of Rogue Trader, 2nd edition metal regiments (no Rough Riders or Mordians, but all the others), plastic Cadians, and Elysians with my Krieg often joining in because why not. 

As to the question of would I rebuild my army I can only laugh, in harmony with every other Guard player, at the idea of starting over.  ALL real Guard players simply accumulate more and more until such time as they cease playing and even then some might still collect for the joy of painting and adding.  The closest we get to "starting over" is adding yet another company to our ever growing regiment.

* - In case you're curious as to justifying Catachans fighting along side Tallarns and Valhallans, my home brew regiment is from a world secretly under the rule of a cabal of Inquisitors.  Thanks to their "master's support" they have a habit of absorbing individuals, squads, and even entire platoons from other units they fight alongside to replenish their losses along with "clerical errors" redirecting equipment and supplies intended for other regiments to them.  The history of the world has this secretive situation coming to a bad end as a Genestealer cult eventually takes hold thanks to one of the senior cabal members being infected and returning to Syrinx which leads to a nasty little civil war with Inquisitors on both sides not really knowing whose side they are fighting for thanks to the byzantine labyrinth of hidden loyalties (thus incorporating my Genestealer Hybrids into the army) with the more radical members taking it too far and attempting to harness the power of Chaos to fight, which in turn draws some traitor Legions to the conflict (thereby adding in my Chaos Guard like the beastmen) followed by the Hive Fleet that finally is lured, leaving Exterminatus as the only solution by those not corrupted, thus drawing a close to Syrinx's problems.

Would you rebuild or augment your detachment with such?

No. I would have got yet another whole army.

But I'm not even excited about a new codex right now. The Rumor Mills have killed my curiosity and shot my enthusiasm.

And I am a little Mad about that.

I have been upset enough to think about turning my Steel Legion into Blood Pact.

Time will tell,

I missed this. This would have been my answer... 

As to the question of would I rebuild my army I can only laugh, in harmony with every other Guard player, at the idea of starting over. ALL real Guard players simply accumulate more and more until such time as they cease playing and even then some might still collect for the joy of painting and adding.  The closest we get to "starting over" is adding yet another company to our ever growing regiment.

Every guard player I know.

Also I would have like to have said..

Detachment.. what is this word.. 

Fasha, you made my day with that.

I have a crusade/campaign(???) force led by the lord Solar... So all of my Platoons are from different regiments... I might get some tanks oneday... I have 455 infantry models... And in 5th I started using Elysian rules... so I now have 8 Valks/Vultures. I've borrowed other vehicles for long periods fo time... but I've never owned any other guard vehicles.

I have a crusade/campaign(???) force led by the lord Solar... So all of my Platoons are from different regiments...

Now that I like.

Your CO is such a big cheese he gets troops from several worlds fighting under him.

Nope for me. I simply refuse to paint once more 150+ models. I simply lack the will to go on sweat.gif Besides, it would be a big dilemma for me because I tend to build a level of affection to my toy soldiers that is so high I would surely go into depression if I sell all my loyal troops for all these 15+ years.....

So, no

We all know full well that if a Guard player adds different models to his army, for example some Tallarn as a Veteran squad or two that would soon turn into a couple of Platoons followed then by an entire army. Then of course you'd need new tanks to match their colour scheme...

We all know full well that if a Guard player adds different models to his army, for example some Tallarn as a Veteran squad or two that would soon turn into a couple of Platoons followed then by an entire army. Then of course you'd need new tanks to match their colour scheme...

This is exactly the dilemma I'm contemplating.

I have been playing IG for a very long time. Not exactly a main army but one I have had around for years. I started my first during second. Picked it up again with the first 3rd edition codex. and again and here we are now. The one thing that has more or less kept the same for me is my play style. I stay with basics I don't bother with adding a lot of extra rules flavor or any of that, even when it was an option. At one point you had to "Play Steel Legion" to transport your whole army. I don't want to go back to that.

I'm a 2nd Edition veteran too, I started on Guard only shortly after starting my Marines and both armies are still going strong today smile.png I very much doubt GW will do anything too drastic, our codex is very good that much is true but change is inevitable. I reckon the Marine codex is a good example of what we might expect - more or less a tweak of what's already there. Some units need some love, others need a bit of a dress down and the army as a whole could do with a bit of a shuffle to adjust to the new/current state of the game.

Some rules to represent famous regiments? Maybe, but not to the extent that our options are limited. Remember that at the very least GW wants to sell us models, so it's not in their interest to limit us laugh.png Keep the faith and hold the line uber, in a few months we'll probably be looking back on any trepidation wondering what we were so worried about msn-wink.gif

Remember that at the very least GW wants to sell us models, so it's not in their interest to limit us laugh.png Keep the faith and hold the line uber, in a few months we'll probably be looking back on any trepidation wondering what we were so worried about msn-wink.gif

I had something I wanted to say here but I just forgot what it was....

I think the big downer for me are the rumors. After what I have already reed I won't look at anymore of them about the IG. I have come to see how Rumors are ruining "Christmass" .

At least for me.

So I will just wait and see whats new when I get the book. I won't even look at any reviews or anything, if I don't buy it right away.

I do detachments of veterans, so I don't have a lot of men anyway. I have three different detachments right now depending on the theme I'm going with for the rest of the army. If GW came out with really cool new plastic infantry I might end up with another detachment if I could find a theme for them.

That's not a bad idea uber, as it stands the rumours don't have a great amount of weight to them so you can impose radio silence without them resting heavy on your mind :)

There's something I've learnt as a long time Guard and Sisters play: expect the worst and hope for the best! :P

There's something I've learnt as a long time Guard and Sisters play: expect the worst and hope for the best! tongue.png

I still have this nagging suspicion that the Sisters of Battle will be part of the new Codex: Imperium. There is absolutely nothing to base this on other than my own fears but ... I just worry.

Archived