Narrative rules for Ephrael Stern

Fibonacci

You would think this would be easy but ... I'm getting stumped.

I want to do a Planet Strike sort of game with Sisters, Grey Knights and Daemons/CSM with Ephrael Stern in the center.  The goal is for one of the 2 other sides to capture her.

First off: rules for Sister Stern.

Stern: BS5 WS5, S3, T3, W2, I4, A3, Ld10, Save 3+/4++

Wargear:

Blessed sword (I+2, AP3, fleshbane, armorbane)

Master crafted bolt pistol

Power armor

Rosarius

Special Rules:

IC, Fearless, Act of Faith, Shield of Faith (like any Sister character would have)

Daemonifuge

Thrice-Born

Not of the Warp

So here's where it gets tricky.  Making rules for the final 3 without make a Mary Sue.  I am thinking something like ...

Daemonifuge - gives Prefered Enemy (chaos) plus at the end of the Sisters' turn, any daemon within 12" makes an immediate Instability test.

Thrice-Born - ignore any unsaved wound on a 4+.  Ephrael does not truely die; (( capture rules go here ))

Not of the Warp - yeah ... I need a serious psyker/anti-psyker effect that wont just wipe the GK off the table in one blast.  Once per game may use any psichic power with no warp charge or psychic test?  Maybe she can pick a psyker on the table and make a Ld+d6 test against them? Possibly reflect, steal or nulify one psychic power per turn -- within range? Maybe do any of these more than once a  turn?  This is set after she sacrifices herself to escape Ahrimin so she will have her full power and knowledge given to her by the Sisters of the Screaming Cage.

I'm also looking at about 150 points plus whatever Not of the Warp would be worth -- probably another 50 points or more.

So what do you think?  Stats to low?  Not bad-ass enough? How do we define the would-be savior or mankind in WH41K?

So here's where it gets tricky. Making rules for the final 3 without make a Mary Sue. I am thinking something like ...

Daemonifuge - gives Prefered Enemy (chaos) plus at the end of the Sisters' turn, any daemon within 12" makes an immediate Instability test.

Thrice-Born - ignore any unsaved wound on a 4+. Ephrael does not truely die; (( capture rules go here ))

Not of the Warp - yeah ... I need a serious psyker/anti-psyker effect that wont just wipe the GK off the table in one blast. Once per game may use any psichic power with no warp charge or psychic test? Maybe she can pick a psyker on the table and make a Ld+d6 test against them? Possibly reflect, steal or nulify one psychic power per turn -- within range? Maybe do any of these more than once a turn? This is set after she sacrifices herself to escape Ahrimin so she will have her full power and knowledge given to her by the Sisters of the Screaming Cage.

I'm also looking at about 150 points plus whatever Not of the Warp would be worth -- probably another 50 points or more.

So what do you think? Stats to low? Not bad-ass enough? How do we define the would-be savior or mankind in WH41K?

The instability thing is too op I think. Especially at 150 pts. She needs a jet pack seeing as she she is a seraphim superior. I think that she should be around the 250 point mark.

The instability thing is too op I think. Especially at 150 pts

I guess I should say about the narrative ...

2500 points of Sisters plus some gun emplacements, 2000 points GK, 2000 points of daemons with unlimited reserves.  Every time a daemon unit is wiped out another troop can come in on their next turn just like they rolled for it on the Warp Storm table.  CSM don't get to come back.

At this point in the story, Ephrael can basically blast away anything effect by the warp with strong thought and is even un-efected by psychic Blanks but I don't want her to be THAT powerful.  I hope that in the end she will be hard to take down but all Sister of Battle will be lost and the GK have to fight daemons to get to her and then fight their way off the table.

I think she should have better stats, Stern should be able to punch and shoot faces with the best of them. This would also be a better way to represent her power, rather than having fancy rules that impede armies so maybe they should just do things like make life a little more difficult for psykers/daemons within X"? For example something simple like having a null zone where psychic powers and daemonic rules have no effect?

Give her a bit of a points hike depending on what you do with the stats and special rules and she should be ready to go :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am at a loss for how I feel about this.  Men are not known for being in touch with their feelings anyway.  But my GK player won't play.  As he put it "it is pointless to play Grey Knights in this edition."  On the one hand, listening to any GK player moan about balance gives me warm shivers of schadenfreude that leave me craving a cigarette afterwards.  On the other hand we've lost a player until he decides what he wants to do and my narrative is now going to be just me teaching the new daemon guy how to play.

Archived