Find it really hard to like Emperor's Children..

Emperor's Furor

And it's a pain because I really like Saul Tarvitz, he's probably my favourite stand alone character in the series, the epitome of loyalty to both your Emperor and your comrades. However everything else that's come out afterward his heroic stand has really made it difficult for me to collect a Emperor's Children army. I mean they really are degenerates now and even a brief comment made in a flash back between the Khan and Fulgrim really shows how weak and pathetic he was even before their fall to Slaanesh. I love their colour scheme, but what really lets them down is how readily they fell to chaos.

The Emperor's Children are nothing but cowards. There have been several accounts where they have slaughtered civilians rather than fight the loyalists. It really is pathetic. I also liked Tarvitz. Very good Space Marine, and an exemplar of what every Space Marine should be. But the Emperor's Children of now are disgusting! I'll take followers of Khorne over them anyday and twice on Sunday!

And it's a pain because I really like Saul Tarvitz, he's probably my favourite stand alone character in the series, the epitome of loyalty to both your Emperor and your comrades. However everything else that's come out afterward his heroic stand has really made it difficult for me to collect a Emperor's Children army. I mean they really are degenerates now and even a brief comment made in a flash back between the Khan and Fulgrim really shows how weak and pathetic he was even before their fall to Slaanesh. I love their colour scheme, but what really lets them down is how readily they fell to chaos.

"....they are degenerates now...." & "....love their color scheme" - that's exactly the dichotomy of the EC. They are beautiful and degenerates.

It so happens that I like beautiful and degenerate so I main CSM:EC.

I leave the whole loyal and flawless illusion for followers of the false emperor....

I love my EC, though I don't like how quickly they degenerate into a seething mass of nake flesh and drugs.

Most of them probably weren't even aware of the slaanesh focused devotion of the higher command (even as they high command didn't know they were slaanesh focused).

I understand Fulgrim's decent, I understand the legions belief of following ones superiors. The whole lets do slaanesh now I don't get.

I actually liked the legion, but I do not like the primarch. Fulgrim never had any redeeming qualities, and the whole bit where he trades weapons with Ferrus Manus was just thrown in for that specific reason. It does not make sense when you think about it.

How so?

I actually liked the legion, but I do not like the primarch. Fulgrim never had any redeeming qualities, and the whole bit where he trades weapons with Ferrus Manus was just thrown in for that specific reason. It does not make sense when you think about it.

How so?

Because the entirety of his characterization pretty much runs to "Arrogant twat who looks down on everything and everybody around him, self-absorbed censored.gif ."

And then for some reason he's best friends with Ferrus, a blunt, bloody-minded leader whose entire methodology of warfare is at odds with everything Fulgrim esteems. You see very little of their interaction or relationship, just get told "Hey, they like each other so much they made these amazing weapons for each other. Why? Because reasons."

How so?

Because the entirety of his characterization pretty much runs to "Arrogant twat who looks down on everything and everybody around him, self-absorbed censored.gif ."

And then for some reason he's best friends with Ferrus, a blunt, bloody-minded leader whose entire methodology of warfare is at odds with everything Fulgrim esteems. You see very little of their interaction or relationship, just get told "Hey, they like each other so much they made these amazing weapons for each other. Why? Because reasons."

Well they didn't set out to make weapons for each other. It was a contest to see who the best craftsman was. At the end they impressed each other so much that they swapped weapons.

They are an odd couple however, I'll admit that.

Isn't that the point of the Emperor's Children?  The most perfect become the most debauched.  I don't know about you guys, but there's something sublimely gratifying in seeing the most pure and supposedly esteemed being debased into the most vile creatures in existence (excluding the Dark Eldar).  I feel that whenever you read about the Emperor's Children, you always have to keep in mind what they once were and contrast the two in order to appreciate how deliciously twisted they have become.

@ Kol_Seresk

My issue comes from the fact that it is never mentioned elsewhere than Fulgrim has an affinity for crafting, or is even less likely to enjoy getting his hands dirty in the process. It greatly cheapens Ferrus Manus's smithing skills to have someone with no real interest or talent to produce something that was apparently of equal quality.

It is even mentioned at some point that he attempts to sculpt the likeness of his brothers are angrily discards them when criticized. That would suggest that he had never really bothered with the endeavor before.

It also seems to me that Fulgrim would have felt above such menial tasks and look down upon Ferrus Manus for doing the toil of lesser beings.

The thing about Fulgrim is that he's always on the quest for perfection.  His arrogance is not so much him having a patrician attitude, but is more related to him seeing himself as perfect.  He can do anything and everything, according to himself.  So when Ferrus Manus calls Fulgrim a pretty boy that can't forge, Fulgrim can't help but to rise to the challenge and create something to re-assert his perfection, even if it's not something that he'd normally do.

The thing about Fulgrim is that he's always on the quest for perfection. His arrogance is not so much him having a patrician attitude, but is more related to him seeing himself as perfect. He can do anything and everything, according to himself. So when Ferrus Manus calls Fulgrim a pretty boy that can't forge, Fulgrim can't help but to rise to the challenge and create something to re-assert his perfection, even if it's not something that he'd normally do.

I could understand that, if it were a recurring theme. As it stands, it is not so.

Isn't it? That is pretty much his thing. All of the book Fulgrim has him doing that, and most of the other books depict him as such, all the way up to Scars' accounting of Ullanor. There is the Laer, the sculptures, his rivalry with Guilliman, his taunting of the Khan, his disdain for being sent to Isstvan V, his intent to sacrifice a brother Primarch even when unnecessary for the ritual.

Fulgrim is the Primarch of challenge accepted.

@ Kol_Seresk

My issue comes from the fact that it is never mentioned elsewhere than Fulgrim has an affinity for crafting, or is even less likely to enjoy getting his hands dirty in the process. It greatly cheapens Ferrus Manus's smithing skills to have someone with no real interest or talent to produce something that was apparently of equal quality.

It is even mentioned at some point that he attempts to sculpt the likeness of his brothers are angrily discards them when criticized. That would suggest that he had never really bothered with the endeavor before.

It also seems to me that Fulgrim would have felt above such menial tasks and look down upon Ferrus Manus for doing the toil of lesser beings.

Actually, in the same novel Fulgrim's quarters are shown to be strewn about with marble carvings and paintings that he had made himself.

The Emperor's Children and Fulgrim believed that a warrior must be capable of producing art as well as battle, much like the Blood Angels and White Scars. The difference was that the EC did it "to be perfect in all things."

That was what the point was supposed to be. That even the most different of brothers could become the closest over something as simple as a passion for creating beauty, even if the motives were different.

I dunno, I thought Fulgrim and Ferrus had somewhat similar ideologies.

Fulgrim arguably sought perfection through trial and improvement, and Ferrus arguably sought perfection in his own way by seeking to eliminate weakness.

That's just my take on it, rather than anything I've read elsewhere. It's not exactly the most obvious common ground, but it might well have been enough.

I dunno, I thought Fulgrim and Ferrus had somewhat similar ideologies.

Fulgrim arguably sought perfection through trial and improvement, and Ferrus arguably sought perfection in his own way by seeking to eliminate weakness.

That's just my take on it, rather than anything I've read elsewhere. It's not exactly the most obvious common ground, but it might well have been enough.

Ace I think you are on to something with this idea.

I've had the same thought as Ace before. Even when the IH and the EC become mortal enemies, they are very alike in that they both modify their bodies to better themselves (to the point where they become monsters), they look down on everyone, and they do not place any value in human lives. And yet some how iron hands are good guys...

I love pre heresy EC. They look elegant, purple is my favorite color, and I like the idea of trying to attain perfection. They even have dubstep guns which I find hilariously awesome.

I've had the same thought as Ace before. Even when the IH and the EC become mortal enemies, they are very alike in that they both modify their bodies to better themselves (to the point where they become monsters), they look down on everyone, and they do not place any value in human lives. And yet some how iron hands are good guys...

I love pre heresy EC. They look elegant, purple is my favorite color, and I like the idea of trying to attain perfection. They even have dubstep guns which I find hilariously awesome.

And suddenly I can't look at Noise Marines the same way ever again.blink.png

And, perhaps appropriately, I don't know if I should laugh or cry.wacko.png

Archived