Question about insignia

Fibonacci

I have my first platoon built and mostly painted.  I have been looking at the decals that come with the models and I'm not sure about squad and platoon markings.  There are 3 squads in the platoon.  By the picture on the box, a squad has a symbol on their right shoulder and a number on their left.  Am I correct in thinking that the entire platoon has the same symbol and each squad has a unique number or is it the other way around?  Also, is there anything different or reserved for veteran squads?

The gate symbol is indeed for Cadians only, and the skull transfers are for command units. The card symbols aren't for anything in particular, so you can use them as you like - they work well with vehicles, I use them for my Sentinels as it seems to suit their maverick nature better :)

Everyone should have the regimental number on, but you don't have to mark individual platoons/squads (which would usually be a number). I don't, it certainly makes picking models and squads a lot easier if you don't have to worry about what squad a Lasgun trooper belongs in! For Cadians their conscripts are called "White Shields" and have a white stripe on the helmet which you've probably seen in GW Guard pictures.

For Veterans they're somewhat outside the normal structure and there's no formal Cadian way of identifying them as far as I'm aware. I give them a coloured shoulder pad (though for slightly different reasons) which works well, but generally Veterans stand out by being armed differently and having lots of additional kit over the normal Guardsman anyway :)

I prefer a colored geometric shape under the collar of the greatcoat with Watchmasters and officers rank embossed on the right shoulder pad.  Then again as a Krieg player uniformity and conformity are more important than silly things like names and veterans standing out is downright heresy.  Grenadiers only standout because their armor is heavier, not because they get any goofy alternate markings (the Quartermasters would execute them for desecrating their holy uniforms and blessed equipment if they tried).

My point here?  I probably don't have one, but the nice thing about the Guard is that from the million worlds there are really only loose guidelines as to regiments and even things like "no aircraft, those are for the Navy" are occasionally waived (see Phantine).  As for markings, unless you are working off an established regiment, you are free to do anything you please.  If you want to use trophy racks with Ork skulls for Platoon 1, Genestealer skulls for Platoon 2, and human skull for command, then there is a great system.  You could have different platoons marked by numbers or color on helmets, shoulder pads, armor, gun stock, trousers, or wherever with squads marked off with another means, then go ahead.  Perhaps even different uniforms or part thereof (backpacks, respirators, or even Cadians in one and Catachans in another). 

Your scheme can be as simple or as convoluted as you please and still be perfectly fine.  The only really important detail is that it is something you can replicate without too much hassle unless you are up to the challenge.  I mean an elaborate freehand design on every helmet of say a dragon for one platoon, a phoenix for another, and a wolf for a third would look amazing, especially if each one was a unique design per trooper, but unless you are really good and/or patient if would be a tough scheme to pull off for an entire army. 

From what I am gathering both here and from google is that I can do whatever I want or nothing at all.

Right now the troops are painted kaki with leather brown pads. The platoon command squad will get skulls on their left shoulder and the other squads will get roman numerals (which has to be faster than applying decals anyway). I will put a chevron on the right shoulder of the second platoon when I get that far along. I do want to put together one unit of vets and am thinking of doing light grey BDU with German Grey pads; they won't need any other markings.

Archived