Feasibility of podding a Rune Priest.

Rasclomalum

What it says on the tin. Rune Priests are commonly deployed behing Aegises, divining twin-linked to Long Fangs and the occasional Cyclone-packing Wolf Guard. This is a ridiculously sound strategy. I wonder though, if there is any tactical merit in a more directly aggressive approach like, say, drop podding a Rune Priest in with some Terminator buddies? Seems that bringing that DtW bubble closer to Farseers and their like could have its uses.

How about something like...

Rune Priest, TDA, Living Lightning, Jaws of the World Wolf

4 TDAWG: 3 with Combi-weapons, one with TH/SS, the rest with axes and wolf claws

All in a drop pod.

The Rune Priest can now make the life of an enemy psyker harder, packs some decent shooting powers and has a retinue of hardened warriors of questionable sobriety to help him. A Chooser of the Slain to ensure that the shooting powers hit their mark could come in handy. Am I missing something?

The biggest problem with this method is you will desperately need something else for the opponent to shoot at that is scarier or on same level. Drop podding 5 terminators and especially one that is a rune priest will most likely draw all fire to this single unit and a unit that cost is kinda expensive for a suicide unit. 

Would it then be better to pod him in with 8 Grey Hunters, supported by another Grey Hunter squad podding in the same turn?

Or, you know, put the Rune Priest with some GH and pod in a 5-man termie squad as well? Should give the opponent some target priority issues.

If you're doing a pod list you need at least three. That way you can target saturate your enemy on the first turn.grey hunters are a good choice, bu blood claws are actually pretty decent for it as well. Wolf guard are too expensive for the task I think.

Take more non DP troops as well. Not many of your DP guys are gonna walk away :)

If you're doing a pod list you need at least three. That way you can target saturate your enemy on the first turn.grey hunters are a good choice, bu blood claws are actually pretty decent for it as well. Wolf guard are too expensive for the task I think.

Take more non DP troops as well. Not many of your DP guys are gonna walk away :)

Why would you take blood claws over grey hunters, especially podding?

I... fail to see your thinking here, but perhaps my mind is overly rigid? Unless you are using the Blood Claws as a sacrificial unit (in which case they cost the same as Grey Hunters anyway) podding them right on top of the enemy means they fire their pistols to very little effect and then get slaughtered the following turn. 

Drop podding = unable to assault that turn. Bolt pistols are only half as good as Bolters within 12'' since Bolters rapid fire (and the Grey Hunter squad will be packing a plasma gun or two and they are five times as dangerous as a Bolter). The Grey Hunters will simply pump out more hurt the turn they arrive, which often cuts down the fire they need to withstand the next enemy turn to manageable levels. Standard Space Wolf combat doctrine is then to await enemy assault, pop the Wolf Standard and rely on Counter-Attack and, points willing, Mark of the Wulfen to get the job done. Grey Hunters just do it better. 

If you're drop podding in Blood Claws you would be better served by a Wolf Priest than a Rune Priest as the former helps the BC overcome their WS3/BS3 conundrum.

There is soundness to podding I. A rune priest with jaws but it works best in a pod heavy list and somewhere in the neighborhood of 3 jaws priests. With all those initiative saves lots should fail. All for about 360 and the cost of the squads they ride with (which you would have bought any way) did this once virus s buddy who wanted to see who could bring crazier spam (his nurgle marines) he lost. Only had one hell chicken though

Archived