Vassal Batrep: Deathwing Vs Deathguard

[TA]Typher

Hi guys,

I had a really good game yesterday and had a little free time so I tossed another batrep together. This was a real nail biter. I love close games and this one didn't fail to disappoint. Often the best games are the ones that come down to a single dice roll or a unique chain of events. Hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

I won't ramble on so lets get straight to the lists.

Honor to the First!

Force Descending Misericordia

Belial TH/SS (In LRC With DWT)

Brother Librarian Epoch: Librarian -Bike, PFG 

Brother-Dreadnought Mikal -Pod, Multi-Melta

5x Deathwing Knights  (In LRC)

5x Deathwing Terms -Hvy Flamer, TH/SS  (In LRC With Belial)
5x Deathwing Terms -CML, TH/SS
5x Deathwing Terms -CML, TH/SS

Indomitable Absolution: Land Raider Crusader -Dozer Blade, Deathwing Vehicle, Multi-Melta
Vengeful Wrath: Land Raider Crusader -Dozer Blade, Deathwing Vehicle, Multi-Melta

I Grabbed the first list I had in battescribe, which just so happened to be the same one I used against the Dark Eldar. I know the pod-dread is really iffy, but it was a fun game and it fit my list so I decided to give it another go. Hopefully it works out like it did last time. *Fingers crossed*

Pox Lord Pustualax's Warforce.

Pox Lord Pustualax: Typhus (His powers didn't matter this game)

Hellbrute -Power scourge
Hellbrute -Power scourge

"The Devine Blighted ones": 5x Chaos Spawn

7x Plague Marine - 2x Meltagun, Powerfirst

14 Plague Zombies
14 Plague Zombies
14 Plague Zombies

Vindicator

Vindicator

3x Obliterators

He has a solid list. Lots of hard to kill fearless scoring units would be a major problem. Not many armies could deal with a list like this. This wasn't going to be easy. Luckily.. I was fielding the best. I was fielding the first!

We rolled The Relic for missions. This was good and bad, as his scoring units wouldn't be as effective, but it also meant that a grind vs fearless units would be hard. Hopefully the attrition of my forces wouldn't doom me.

For Deployment I rolled vanguard. This wasn't really helpful as it kept his forces bunched up and focused on the midfield. I wouldn't really be able to flank or isolate his forces. I rolled night fight first turn, which would help against his vindicators and oblits. He rolled to go first and I let him.
And now...

The Battle of the Tyris Thorn III

The world was a ball of lush green from the view-port of the Battlebarge Angelious. Hanging there like a bright emerald against the dark blanket of space, He should have considered it beautiful. He was an Astartes. A gene-forged machine of war. Things like beauty were a waste of thought to him and centuries of service told him that looks were deceiving. Below, that seemingly perfect world was a death planet and there things lurked that would challenge even him and his ilk. However, He had not brought his Angels here to test himself. There was something else here that had lured him here.

Somewhere buried amidst the razorthorns, deathquakes and viperbeasts of the menacing planet was the great enemy, Chaos. They had come to hunt a lost artifact of some lost, forgotten race. What it did or why they wanted it made no matter to him. The mere fact that they wanted was the only cause he needed to deny it to them.

He had come to stop them. He had come to kill them.

Blue streaks of plasma engines crossed his view, as two thunderhawk transports departed. The Angels descended. The war had started.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-Deploy_zpsef091dc4.jpg

Deployment “Loose the Angels of war and draw death onto them” -The call of the Lion at Hielloux

He deployed using this zombies (light green bases) to screen his Plague Marines (Brown bases). He placed his Warlord with the spawn (yellow bases). Using there 12” movement was a good way to catapult the menacing HQ around the board he told me.

He had a solid battle line, which seemed fairly good at supporting itself with hordes of fearless models. This was going to be tough.

I placed both LRCs behind a ruin. With night fight in play the 4+ cover would give me at least a 3+ save against the worst of his fire. Hopefully that would help me get first blood, but luck is a fickle thing.

Pox Lord Pustualax's scratched what would have been the monsters chin, it if had one. He was surrounded by the bulbous hulks of pus oozing spawn that had once been followers of the plague god. He smiled a broken grin of blackened teeth. “The Devine Blighted ones”  they were called. Misfortunate champions blessed with the touch of the great grandfather, Nurgle. He supposed that he should have been completely repulsed by the idea but somehow he was jealous of that. The shared closeness they had with him. He bit his tongue hard, drawing a black ichor that flowed down his pock-marked chin. No one wanted to be a mindless sack of bloated skin and he slapped the vile creature in front of him to re-enforce the idea in an attempt to chastise himself . The once mewing abomination hissed with a wet garbled sounds and slunk back.

He turned his cold black eyes to the south.

Ahead of him the Angels had landed. The loud engines of the two giant vehicles pulsing in his ears even at this distance. They had come to stop him. To kill him. They would fail.

With his rusted force-sickle pointing forward he ordered the advance.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-10_zps9936ec51.jpg

Nurgle Turn 1  “They do not know the sorrow of plague or the joy of rot. Teach them my children... teach them” -Pox Lord Pustualax

His whole force moved forward in a lurching creep. Mindless zombies shambling forward as bloated plague Marines urged them forward.
The three obliterators used multi-melta and attempted to glance one of the raiders, but failed. One of the vindicators pushed it's way forward, herding the crowd. It fired it's cannon, barely reaching the closest raider, which I had deployed a bit back from the edge of the deployment zone.
With the darkness of night the shot failed to pen.

“I will have the relic or I will have your hide!” Pustualax said to one of the lumbering monsters next to him. It ignored him as any form of cognitive thought has long ago abandoned it with it's transformation. He sneered coldly at the thing.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-11_zps6bc9bee9.jpg

Deathwing Turn 1 “A vile stink lives here. These misbegotten traitors think that they are enlightened. Now brothers.. let us really enlighten them.” -Grand Master Sariel

Engines reved as the Indomitable Absolution and Vengeful Wrath pushed through the ruined building. Columns of ancient stone broken and fell before them, crashing harmlessly on their thick armor. Behind them Librarian Epoch pulled energy from the warp and cast prescience on one of the Land Raiders. He followed the unstoppable machines, tucking in nicely behind one of them.

Ahead, a shooting star corrected it's trajectory in a flurry of vented plasma and arched in a meteoric decent. Numerous shallow pools of brackish water instantly turned to choking vapor as the pods retro thrusters punished the ground in a torrent of heat. With a machine-gun like pops of explosive bolts Brother -Dreadnought Mikal exited. I placed him close to one of the vindicators, knowing that it was a huge threat. If they were allowed to live the game would be over.  His multi-melta fired. I looked at my opponent and said, “Watch me roll a 2”. I rolled a 2. LOL! I deserved that I suppose. My lack of faith in him (and my lack of points for venerable status).

Both of my raiders multi-melta'd one of the vindicators with no success. I did score one pen, but He rolled a 6 on his cover save. Drat. I focused the oblits with the rest of the shooting from one LRC, killing one of the grotesque things. The other raider shot the Spawn, scoring only two wounds (Not shown), but failed to kill anyone.

The Knights and Belial's Deathwing Terminator unit sallied out of the raiders. I split fired the Flamer and killed a handful of zombies in front of the Knights. The knights charged and killed the undead to the man. They consolidated forward and spread out. I took First blood!

Belial's unit multi-charged a unit of zombies and a unit of plague marines. With Blight Grenades there was no reason not too. In the following combat I killed most of the plague marines, including the champion (Go DW Sgt!) and a few of the zombies. With everyone being fearless this would be a battle of attrition. I hoped that the zombies that had to consolidate closer would screen me from the spawn. I crossed my fingers.

A deafening howl of pain exited the plague Champion as he slowly crumpled to the ground. Brother Uriel withdrew the hulking power sword from the dead traitors belly. With a rapid swing that ended in a sharp whiplash effect, the blackish-green slick of bile was cleared from his weapon. In front of him Master Belial was hammering death into the other Enemies, to his right the Knights had slain all those in front of them and advanced forward in a wall of shields.

The Angels had taken the field. Now the enemy would know death. 

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-21_zps510af6ae.jpg

Nurgle Turn 2 “They have fallen into our trap. Now they will fester and wither. Bring them suffering” -The Lord of Pox

Wow.. The action. Both vindicators and the two remaining oblits inched forward and unleashed on the Raiders. Low rolls and the PFG worked in my favor and the Vengeful Wrath was only glanced.

The Plague Marines to the south moved and then ran around one of the buildings. They would be in metlaing range of my LRCs next turn.
One of his Hellbrutes moved toward Brother Mikal in the backfield. It charged and in the ensuing combat brother Mikal pulled the hellbrute apart, causing it to explode in a blinding ball of light. Sadly, he also took damage and was wrecked.

The Plague Marines to the north moved forward and rapid fired at the Knights, killing 2. The nearby zombies and one of the hellbrutes charges them. In the combat several zombies fell to the heavy maces. The hellbrute killed the only model he was in base contact with, the Knight master. I would have activated my maces, but with only the knight master in base contact with the walker there was no point. Everyone consolidated in.

The enemy warlord and the spawn moved 12”. Despite the swarming zombies blocking them were able to reach a sliver on my terms and got into combat with Belial's unit. The pox lord (Typhus) challenged and the DW sarg accepted. The duel was short and brutal, with the demon weapon scoring a myriad of attacks. The spawn killed one more terminator and in return I killed the remaining plague marines, a zombie and a spawn. This was looking bleak.

Pustualax stood over the fallen terminator. The downed Astartes face was withered and smoking and stark contrast to his giant frame. Now the battle was done he thought. He looked on as one of the snarling blighted ones was hammered it to the ground by the enemy Warlord. With eyes that seemed dull and lifeless it faded, dying. He supposed he should feel pity for the thing, but he didn't. Why the great one had blessed them with his hand he didn't know. How could such a low thing deserve his attention.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-22_zps2823b3f3.jpg

Deathwing Turn 2 “We are unmoving like stone, solid and unyielding. We will not faulter. We will not stop. We are your the Angels of the Lion and we are your death!” -Battle mantra from the book of swords.

With a deafening crack of sound and a blinding flash of bluish light the Deathwing had come! I placed one of the units to the north to flank the vindicators. It shot side armor and only managed to stun it. The rest of the unit shot the nearby plague marines, killing two. One of the raiders added to the fire and killed another two.

The other DWT unit landed to the south. I placed them behind the advancing plague marine unit and targeted them. He had placed the two meltas and Sgt at the rear. With a hail of shots I downed four, removing the threat to my raiders. The last raider shot at the obilts, killing 1. Hopefully I could survive it's melta next turn!

In combat the Hellbrute was now in base contact with my knights. With maces activated they killed it, but not before it and the zombies brought the last two down. The zombies consolidated to the relic.

The Lord of Pox declared a challenge and Belial reluctantly accepted. I lost one Term, but killed several zombies in return. I wasn't so lucky in the duel. AP2 Force-Demon Weapon. Not even the Storm shield could save him. With a whole horde of attacks, I failed one save. That was all he needed. Belial fell. I suppose I could have refused, but them my unit would have died instead and Belial still would have had to make saves.

It's frustrating that Typhus is only a handful more points than Belial and so dramatically better. I don't mind him being underpowed, but the Master of the Deathwing needs a point reduction in my opinion. Anyway.. enough QQ.. back to the game. 

My opponent rolled his boon on the chaos table and........ Spawn! LOL. It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (the lord of Pox, not my opponent). Ok, this wasn't as horrible as it was looking. Perhaps there was hope.

Pustualax's grinned down evilly at the enemy warlord at his feet. He had removed most of his essence and paused before offering it up to the great Grandfather. The power was intoxicating and for a moment he wondered if he should keep it. He had fought in thousands of battles, offered everything to Nurgle and where was the power he had been promised? Where was his reward. Where was his.... Something cracked and he felt a sharp pain, even through his dull senses. There was another and then another. He tried to speak but found that his jaw no longer fit his mouth. He looked around to the Spawn around him. The dumb, blank looks on their faces staring at him with a steady indifference.

Before his transformation was complete it struck him. The power he was promised would seen be his... he just would never be able to appreciate it. It would have made him laugh, if he wasn't a mindless creature.

The thing that had once been Pustualax, lord of the pox, shambled back into the melee, oblivious to his own actions.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-32_zps732d17c1.jpg

Nurgle Turn 3 “He is the great Grand Father, the unclean. There can be no rebirth without him” -From the book of rot.

The plague Marines to the south reversed course, firing uselessly at one of the DWT units as them marched forward.

The other unit of plague marines moved south, firing at distance on one of the LRC, without effect. The zombies took the relic.

The last oblit moved over and fired a plasma cannon at the northern DWT unit. I rolled horribly and only my TH/SS CML terminator survived. Blarg!

The unstunned vindicator fired on the Vengeful wrath, scattering over and hitting both LRC and brother-librarian Epoch! The Vengeful Wrath took a pen and would have exploded, but Deathwing Vehicle saved my and it was only shaken. The Power Field Generator cracked and sparked but Brother Epoch and the Indomitable Absolution survived unscathed, saved by the shimmering energy shield.

In combat the last two of Belial's terms fell, dragging down a spawn with them. The thing that was formally Pustualax ran south, trying to hide. The remaining zombies and spawn consolidated toward the southern Deathwing Terminators.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-33_zpsa5483398.jpg

Deathwing Turn 3 “Shadows and Blades are all that separate us from vengeance.” -Brother Simon of the Deathwing

The northern DW Term fired his CML point-blank into one of the vindicators. It exploded in a series of impressive ammunition and fuel detonations.
One of my Raiders used it's melta and killed the last vindicator. With the rest of it's guns firing snapshots I killed only a few zombies, but not enough to remove them from the relic.

Instead of focusing his warlord my other Land raider dumped everything into the last oblit, but he rolled hot and it lived. * groan *

My last full Term squad charged the zombies and the spawn, killing everyone except one spawn while losing one term. The battle for attrition was brutal, hopefully I was gain the upper hand.

++++++++ Pict Feed Classified+++++++++
++++++ OMEGA RESTRICTION++++++++

This pic was corrupt. I didn't notice it until I closed Vassel. ACK!

Nurgle Turn 4 “He is gone..” *Bzzzttt * “I will not ru..” *Bzzzt * “Death to the Fals..” Intercepted Enemy Astartes Voice Com.

The Plague Marines in the middle of the board meltagunned the Vengeful Wrath, causing a glace. The Last Oblit closed and fired a Melta into the Vengeful Wrath also. The power-field buckled and finally gave. The Ancient vehicle took another hull point and was wrecked. Death-world or not the Angels would retrieve it.  

The Plague marines to the south charged the Terminators locked into combat with the lone spawn. In the ensuing fight the spawn was killed and the traitor marines made several feel-no pain saves. Gawd no!

The enemy warlord crawled to cover and hid. His body still fighting against it's new form. 

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-44_zps2824cf38.jpg

Deathwing Turn 4 “Come wrath, Come ruin! You will not hide from us!” -Interrogator Chaplain Israfil

The Indomitable Absolution turned and unleashed a fury of fire against the Oblit that has just wrecked the other Raider. The horridly mutated Astartes fell, cursing to the end.

Brother epoch charged the plague marines threatening the last Raider with their melta. He killed one and the fight was a stalemate.

The last Term to the north closed in and fired his missiles at the zombies with the relic, killing two, but not stopping them.

In close combat the other Terms killed one Plague Marine. He made more Feel no pain saves.

Brother Simon hammered the bloated marine. Armor bent and broken, bones fractured in thousands of pieces, blood and pus showered the ground as the Traitor fell. The pain alone would have killed any mortal. The mortal blow should have easily killed him. With a wet cough the thing rose, it's malformed face vomiting up shards of bones and black colored bone.

“For the Emperor and the Lion!” said bellowed as he raised his fist again.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-54_zps30293281.jpg

Nurgle Turn 5 “Nurgle is enduring power. And I Pustualax will find the alien relic and bind his will to me!” -Lord of Pox prior to planet fall.

Not much happened here. The remaining Zombies with the relic moved into the ruins.

In combat I delivered a brutal 6 powerfist wounds on the two remaining plague marines. With them dead I could easily moved to the relic on my turn. He rolled... 6...6...5...5...6.....2.

$%@#!@

Wow. Was not expecting that.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/Nurgle-55_zps2cfc3cc4.jpg

Deathwing Turn 5  “Is the fight ended when our enemies are dead? ..No. Not until the taint of there existence has been washed away from the universe do we yield our attack.” -Swordmaster Gabriel Typheran of the 1st legion.

With the Plague Marines failing to die, I had only two hopes left.

The last Land Raider fired a salvo of shots, killing one 1 zombie!

The CML Term fired, missing. He charged, but was short by a inch!

In combat the Terms finally killed the last plague marine, striking him until his body was mush. They consolidated toward the relic. Next turn they would have it.

The librarian continued to lock the plague marines in combat.

I rolled to see if the game continued and..... I rolled a 2. the game ended. A loss for the Deathwing.

It was close game and I knew it would be a brutal fight. The hordes of bodies took so long to wear down. Luckily I prevailed in that fight. Sadly, some bad luck at the end cost me the game. It was a well fought match and my opponent did a great job.

I knuckle-bumped him when he made all those FNP rolls. Between that and the game ending I lost. Despite the loss this was one of the best games I've had I a while. I was pretty sure I was going to lose on turn 2 and was surprised when I was able to make a comeback.

Anyway, as always, thanks for reading this guys.

+++++++++++++++++++++
+Vid-Feed+++++++++++++++
+Clearance Accepted++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++
+Delta: Sigma++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++

The mindless zombies shambled off into the thick jungle. Whatever relic they carried was lost on them. Acting out whatever simple order they had been given. It would be lost again, forgotten for another eon.

Brother Librarian Epoch stood over one of the dead spawn. The things body lay contorted by mutation and abuse from the powerfists that had ended it. He looked, but failed to see anything that resembled human form. The razor-skin, tentacles, jagged teeth of the thing gave it a bulbous menacing look. It had once been an Astartes like him. Fooled into slavery it had fallen long ago.

Something moved in the warp. A cry. Looking up Epoch saw him in the distance. Partially hidden in the ruins it hunkered down. Another spawn, but something was different. Frost formed on the edges of his psyhic-hood as he drew the Immeterium in. Looking with his warp sight he saw him. The tormented trapped soul inside the wriggling spawn. The lord of Pox, Pustualax. Once captain of the Deathguard and loyal servant of the Imperium. Fallen to ruin. Long had he lived and now he had changed.

Epoch raised his bolt pistol. He paused, holding the sights on the things head in the distance. The thing had turned from the light, abandoning his oaths for the lie of power. He had killed millions and now he was abandoned by the Dark God he had fled to.

Epoch lowered his pistol. “No... suffer your fate, traitor”, he whispered.

Nice. Do you actually play in Vassal or recreate the game with it for batrep purposes?

Cheers

I

I belive Typher just uses Vassal for the write-ups. There's a how-to link in his signature.

Great battle report, and commiserations on the clock running out before you could claim a victory. I'm another fan of the drop podding dreadnought but I never use it without the venerable upgrade. I feel that a one-shot potential tank buster - that's unlikely to see turn 2 - needs all the help in hitting that you can give it. The upgrade also increases his chances of surviving the initial retaliation from your opponent.

some nice twists to this one i thought it was going to have the same outcome as the deldar game. I think having typhus change into a spawn earned your opponent the karma he needed to win that thing. the gods of chaos can be fickle.... thanks for writing up a great game.

Archived