Looking for advice

TheDarker

Hi folks!

On my blog i started a "game" to let my readers choose wich mini should i made along this year 2014. The only person who actually anwered (duh) choose this one:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b29/oink-pics/art/preheresyDAHHIII.jpg

I guess i wlll go for the guy in the forefront.

The thing is... i´m having problems visualizing the robes. Let me explain: you can see how a robe (or part of one) covers his legs, and how another covers the upper side of his shoulders... but there doesn´t seem to be a "link" between the two. Is one robe, two? how you can see the space marine "belly" but no robe on any side. This is more clearly on the guy in the back, the one in the rocker pose, when he even have a flowing-in-the wind cape!. But again, no obvious piece connecting both robes, the one on his shoulders and the one on his legs.

I could go for a classic robe, but then you will see part of it around the body like this one  . Or i just could do two robes and forget about logic. This is 30k after all. Anyway, any suggestion would be fine because i always go for the bigger similarity to the original artwork. At this point i only have a Dark Vengeance common trooper cut in half, so no hurry XD

Thanks for your advice!

Hmm.. the guy in the back right I picture as follows:

New FW: Death Guard Torso set, or a basic MkV/VI torso from the SM Tact sprue.

New FW: Death Guard helm, remove spike, create a cowl and cloak from GS.

Chaos shoulder pads.

MkVI Corvus lower legs.

One of the many Fantasy champions for the upper thigh stylised laminated plates.  Thinking - 'Warriors of Chaos Lord' model, or even the vampire with the single raised wing arm.

Forearms/vambraces, you could style up a MkIII vambrace, or use something like that of the Emps Champ.

Or go for something a little out of the GW spectrum.  There's a really nice link regarding the not-primarch models in a recent thread.

As for the artists impression of his cloth attachment / cloak, just go through the various periods in history to find ways.  From the Romans, Celts, Medieval times or anything else you find, someone will have a way to attach it that will suit your needs.

I think part of the challenge with visualizing this is that there's some "wind" effects going on that mask the shape of the cape.

If I was going to do this, I'd fashion up a cape with a hood, but bring the cape down to cover the top 1/3-1/2 of the upper torso. It also seems like you could model a full cape with a hood, but have the extra fabric in the front pinned back by those black devices on the front.

So, I'd go with something that makes sense and then do some billowing wind effects if you want to.

It's definitely a cool picture to model.

Looks a bit like a poncho and a loincloth

Yep, it looks suspiciously similar XD

Well, i don´t worry about the pieces because i´m gonna sculpt everything (on a Dark Vengeance model base), it´s just that the robes didn´t make sense to me. Well, i will work in the rest of the mini until i need to actually work out what to do.

Oh, and hisdudeness, INTELLIGENT sarcastic comments are always welcome :P

Archived