The random rumble game challenge!

knife&fork

Ladies and gentlemen, time to step out of your comfort zone!

If you're like me then you've probably spent quite some time chasing the 'perfect' list.

Why spend hours agonizing over optimization when you can leave it lady luck? msn-wink.gif

In this thread we randomize a list almost completely, then play a game with it and post our results.

There are a number of ways you could randomize a list, I used the following method;

Open up your favorite list building software and grab some dice. You could also use an app or online dice roller like this https://www.wizards.com/dnd/dice/dice.htm .

Roll one random HQ and 2 random troop choices. Randomize gear and squadsize when needed, reroll if you end up with an illegal combo.

Roll again for a random force org slot and repeat the process of randomizing gear and numbers until you have 100 pts or less remaining to whatever point level you usually play at.

Use the remaining points for minor tweaks and increase playability but try not to change things too much even if you rolled something suboptimal.

If you have a smaller model collection or hate using proxies then feel free to limit the randomness according to available models.

This is what I ended up with:

Random BA - 1750 pts

Gabriel Seth

Techmarine with servo arm and stormbolter

8 man assault squad with a flamer, gunslinger sergeant with plasma pistol and hand flamer. Dedicated rhino with dozerblade and HK missile.

5 man tactical squad with chainsword and bolter on the sergeant

16 DC marines in a LR crusader, 5 powerfists, 2 power swords, 1 thunder hammer and 1 each of the special pistols

DC dread in pod with grapple, heavy flamer and talons

5 man Devastator squad with 1 MM and 3 HB, combiflamer sergeant

Dread with TLAC and TLHB

Will play this on Sunday and report back on how it went. A few elements in there that I'd never take otherwise! biggrin.png

Have some fun and try it out for yourselves!

I'd suggest randomizing what you actually have tbh.

I have 6 differently equipped tactical squads, 2 differently equipped assault squads and 2 differently devastator squads for example.

so for HQ I'd roll to determine if I use: Dante/Tycho/Librarian or Reclusiarch - so 1d4

for Troops I'd roll 1d8 twice, and take the relevant squads that I rolled (if I rolled Dante for HQ, I'd also have 3 assault squads, so I'd roll a d12 and reroll 1s)

could be fun. Will see what I end up with for a 2k game (single force org) im playing on the 15th at Warhammer World :)

So I rolled just for fun and here is what I got.

1500 points

HQ           Sanguinor

Troops     Assault Squad 7 man Plasma Pistol

Infernus Pistol and Combat shield on Sergeant

Rhino extra armor

Death Company 9 man

4 power fists 2 thunder hammers 2 swords 1 maul 1 Infernus pistol

Razorback Las Plasma Storm bolter

Death Company Dreadnaught

Magna Grapple Pod

HS           Whirlwind

dozer blade

Whirlwind

hunter killer missile

Whirlwind

dozer blade

Lol, I saw the end result of that last year. My favorite has to be the 81pt rhino, great use of points! :P The DC has a tendency to suck up a lot of points should you roll it, so I'm gonna leave that out for my second attempt. To be honest it's also a complete PITA to keep track of all the different types of attacks and shooting.

I had a game this weekend vs another completely randomized list and it was pretty fun. I ended up getting beat pretty badly due to some late game bad luck (like Seth loosing all 4 wounds to 6 bolt pistol shots!) but considering the amount of unoptimized units I did surprisingly well!

The DC and DC dread unsurprisingly deleted 3 units before they were brought down by a concentrated effort.

Never got any use of the assault squad and Seth due to horrible dice, easily failed 75% of every save for that unit, I was looking forward to see his chainsword in action so I'll definitely play another game with him and some kind of support in a raven.

The techmarine was a completely waste of points, as expected. The dread on the other hand performed way above expectations. I've always thought of the TLHB as a kind of joke, but 3 shots with rerolls to hit aint half bad. High S and AP means nothing if you don't get to roll to wound. Still not something that I think should cost more than a multi melta, but in the future I'll at least keep it in mind.

Too my surprise I also got to use the combi flamer on the devastator sergeant.

All in all I think it was kinda refreshing, have to give it another go. thumbsup.gif

Archived